Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Presents World's First Tuning Solution For G20 M340i.

Closed Thread

10-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #89
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbandit13 View Post
New to the forums and I just got my m340. If all I have is a VRSF downpipe should I select stage 1 or stage 2 when purchasing the tune. Im not sure if the stage 2 is going to require more hardware than the downpipe.
Don't want to speak for them, but Mission Performance used to comment on this thread....maybe they can chime in on some of these questions as I'm curious too. Oh, and maybe they can address the update and robbed horsepower (with comparable dyno graphs) that has been the chatter on here as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #90
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Don't want to speak for them, but Mission Performance used to comment on this thread....maybe they can chime in on some of these questions as I'm curious too. Oh, and maybe they can address the update and robbed horsepower (with comparable dyno graphs) that has been the chatter on here as well.
Yeah its a little disconcerting that MissionPerformance hasn't addressed any of the questions that have been asked in here. I really want to tune my car, but the lack of updates has me holding off.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #91
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
New to the forums and I just got my m340. If all I have is a VRSF downpipe should I select stage 1 or stage 2 when purchasing the tune. Im not sure if the stage 2 is going to require more hardware than the downpipe.
Maybe you should PM them directly, I honestly want to hear their response to this so-called power-robbing claim when everyone rates the B58M30O1 as 382HP stock output.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #92
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you should PM them directly, I honestly want to hear their response to this so-called power-robbing claim when everyone rates the B58M30O1 as 382HP stock output.
The 382 crank horsepower seems to be accurate after the "detune". The chatter is regarding the fact that, before the detune, the m340i was putting out almost 400 peak WHEEL horsepower (obviously this is like 430-440ish crank horsepower). So with BMW's past of putting out underrated engines, the earlier version with almost 400 whp seemed to be continuing the tradition (and then some). But when Mission Performance came out and said BMW had detuned later versions through an update, and that it was all the way down to the manufacturers actual ratings (382 crank)....it was kind of deflating. When was the last time BMW put out a turbocharged engine that "only" put out its manufactured claims, and nothing above??

So yes, if Mission Performance would show the before and after dyno graphs, yes, it might clarify some of this. Of course, they are probably annoyed by all of this and only want to comment on their tune (which they're not doing either).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #93
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The 382 crank horsepower seems to be accurate after the "detune". The chatter is regarding the fact that, before the detune, the m340i was putting out almost 400 peak WHEEL horsepower (obviously this is like 430-440ish crank horsepower). So with BMW's past of putting out underrated engines, the earlier version with almost 400 whp seemed to be continuing the tradition (and then some). But when Mission Performance came out and said BMW had detuned later versions through an update, and that it was all the way down to the manufacturers actual ratings (382 crank)....it was kind of deflating. When was the last time BMW put out a turbocharged engine that "only" put out its manufactured claims, and nothing above??

So yes, if Mission Performance would show the before and after dyno graphs, yes, it might clarify some of this. Of course, they are probably annoyed by all of this and only want to comment on their tune (which they're not doing either).
I get that they're a business in it to make a buck and I respect that but have a hard time believing that BMW would detune the motor so severely, regardless of the initial claimed output.

A drop of over 50hp is equivalent to a big turbo kit and a stage 3 tune on the N55. It's a difference that would of been perceptible to all, yet no one claim any power lost.

They already set the stage with this power-robbing claim, when someone else can verify it, then I'll take their word for it. Until then, it's just marketing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #94
joes_m340
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I get that they're a business in it to make a buck and I respect that but have a hard time believing that BMW would detune the motor so severely, regardless of the initial claimed output.

A drop of over 50hp is equivalent to a big turbo kit and a stage 3 tune on the N55. It's a difference that would of been perceptible to all, yet no one claim any power lost.

They already set the stage with this power-robbing claim, when someone else can verify it, then I'll take their word for it. Until then, it's just marketing.
I don't think people are realizing how negligent on BMW's behalf that would be.
      10-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #95
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Any feedback from anyone whom has installed and whether any difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #96
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL451 View Post
Any feedback from anyone whom has installed and whether any difference?
So I'm running a Stage 2.5 MP tune in my 2017 340. I'll be transferring that tuning license to my M340 when I get it next year.

I've been a fan of MP for years and have enjoyed Alex's tunes on my last several cars. That aside my current car is delivering just shy of 400 WHP on 91 crap gas and 2 gallons of E85. I regularly AutoX the car and we simply abuse it mercilessly - and it's never skipped a beat. This 48 year old guy (who has owned 35+ cars - all modified to some degree) couldn't be happier with the blend of reliability and performance the tune delivers.

That aside I have had the opportunity to ride in Alex's personal M340 with this tune running cali 91 and maybe a gallon of E85. And the car is just phenomenal. Linear hard acceleration when you want it and stock like driveability when you are just cruising. The M340 really benefits from the new HPFP combined with Alex's wizardry.

While my MP tuned 340 is no slouch the MP tuned M340 is a noticeable notch above my 340 for sure.

Not sure if this helps - just sharing my 2-cents
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
crbalch472.50
      10-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #97
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
So I'm running a Stage 2.5 MP tune in my 2017 340. I'll be transferring that tuning license to my M340 when I get it next year.

I've been a fan of MP for years and have enjoyed Alex's tunes on my last several cars. That aside my current car is delivering just shy of 400 WHP on 91 crap gas and 2 gallons of E85. I regularly AutoX the car and we simply abuse it mercilessly - and it's never skipped a beat. This 48 year old guy (who has owned 35+ cars - all modified to some degree) couldn't be happier with the blend of reliability and performance the tune delivers.

That aside I have had the opportunity to ride in Alex's personal M340 with this tune running cali 91 and maybe a gallon of E85. And the car is just phenomenal. Linear hard acceleration when you want it and stock like driveability when you are just cruising. The M340 really benefits from the new HPFP combined with Alex's wizardry.

While my MP tuned 340 is no slouch the MP tuned M340 is a noticeable notch above my 340 for sure.

Appreciate the insight, just wish they would hop back into the thread to answer some of the questions that have been asked. Not too comfortable ordering their tune when they haven't been active on the topic at all (even though I can see their last activity was two days ago)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #98
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Appreciate the insight, just wish they would hop back into the thread to answer some of the questions that have been asked. Not too comfortable ordering their tune when they haven't been active on the topic at all (even though I can see their last activity was two days ago)
Over the years I have found if i have specific questions of MP the best way to get the information I need is to simply call Alex at the shop.

ps: this is not intended as some rude backhanded comment to you to say "call him" I'm simply sharing how I choose to communicate with MP and what has worked for me :-)

Last edited by chenry; 10-28-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
crbalch472.50
      10-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #99
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Quote:

Yeah, it is odd that they have gone MIA. It would make me second guess purchasing their tune as well.
Appreciate 3
Transfer5242.50
crbalch472.50
Poochie9099.00
      10-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #100
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
I may have missed it, but would be the appropriate drivetrain loss % for RWD and AWD be ? AWD>RWD , I suppose but how by how much? (With auto, of course)
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #101
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

Gents – can’t and don’t want to speak for MP but let me tell you what I have learned about working with Alex at MP. What I am sharing here is simply how things have worked based on speaking with him and also reading countless posts here and on other forums

Alex will be the first to say "I am not a social media company and I do not live on the forums." He participates here as time and desire permits. He is also quick to point out "I do my best to make myself available via phone and email whenever someone wants to reach me. And if someone is serious about my tunes/builds/track cars etc. they should simply reach out to me directly."

Some people will say he should run his business differently etc...and he will then say that he is not a fit for those people. And he will openly say there are plenty of other tuners out there that are more active on social media, forums etc…so if that’s your thing go for it and take your money there. And I've witnessed him say the same to people who have wanted tunes to chase dyno numbers to a point that he felt was unsafe (Im not your guy).

He doesn't brag about FB followers, he doesn't live on forums, he doesn't have stickers or license plate frames but spend some time learning about what he has accomplished and delivers (as I did) and draw your on conclusions about who you trust and want to do business with.

I'm only sharing this because IMHO you shouldn't put too much weight into him not responding to a thread....who cares it takes nothing away from his proven capabilities, if you want to work with him he is available to you.

Last edited by itsglen; 10-29-2019 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: used the word not 2x oops
Appreciate 3
chenry2346.00
crbalch472.50
      10-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #102
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I may have missed it, but would be the appropriate drivetrain loss % for RWD and AWD be ? AWD>RWD , I suppose but how by how much? (With auto, of course)
I have no answer to your question - just wanted to compliment you on the cars in your sig! Wow what a wonderful mix
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #103
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
Gents – can’t and don’t want to speak for MP but let me tell you what I have learned about working with Alex at MP. What I am sharing here is simply how things have worked based on speaking with him and also reading countless posts here and on other forums

Alex will be the first to say "I am not a social media company and I do not live on the forums." He participates here as time and desire permits. He is also quick to point out "I do my best to make myself available via phone and email whenever someone wants to reach me. And if someone is serious about my tunes/builds/track cars etc. they should simply reach out to me directly."

Some people will say he should run his business differently etc...and he will then say that he is not a fit for those people. And he will openly say there are plenty of other tuners out there that are more active on social media, forums etc…so if that’s your thing go for it and take your money there. And I've witnessed him say the same to people who have wanted tunes to chase dyno numbers to a point that he felt was unsafe (Im not your guy).

He doesn't brag about FB followers, he doesn't live on forums, he doesn't have stickers or license plate frames but spend some time learning about what he has accomplished and delivers (as I did) and draw your on conclusions about who you trust and want to do business with.

I'm only sharing this because IMHO you shouldn't put too much weight into him not responding to a thread....who cares it takes nothing away from his proven capabilities, if you want to work with him he is available to you.
Your last point in bold pretty much sums things up

Last edited by chenry; 10-29-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #104
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I have no answer to your question - just wanted to compliment you on the cars in your sig! Wow what a wonderful mix
Thank you
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #105
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post

I am brand new to MP so I appreciate the insight from someone that has done business with them. However, I am not sure the “I don’t live on the forums” holds much weight considering there are 3 threads that MP has started on the tune for this car. If there is enough of a reason to advertise the tune on here, I’d love to think there’d be enough of a reason to field some questions on here that multiple people could benefit from reading. This is also not taking into account that the MP account has been lurking on the forums lately, just not posting. That is a bit of a red flag to someone new to MP. Just my thoughts...not saying I won’t give them a call and talk through a tune, just would be nice to get some answers on here as well.
Appreciate 3
The Nerd420.00
BarryB864.50
nola2atx124.00
      10-30-2019, 12:20 AM   #106
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1583344

I switched from MP to BM3.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:29 AM   #107
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Anything you want to share about the BM3 tune for the M340?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:45 AM   #108
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Anything you want to share about the BM3 tune for the M340?
I have a F series B58.
Was just sharing a thread about people's experience with MP.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:09 AM   #109
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
I have a F series B58.
Oh okay just thought maybe you had something tune/results etc related to share with this forum but now that I looked there is no BM3 option presently

I remember that post (I responded) seems most all are more than happy with what the MP tune delivers but some struggle with communication
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #110
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
I have a F series B58.
Oh okay just thought maybe you had something tune/results etc related to share with this forum but now that I looked there is no BM3 option presently

I remember that post (I responded) seems most all are more than happy with what the MP tune delivers but some struggle with communication
I've been in contact with PTF and BM3 support is coming soon, just no hard eta yet
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread