Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Rain-X Washer Fluid - Are the problems real?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
CrownRoyal79
Second Lieutenant
CrownRoyal79's Avatar
United_States
166
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Rain-X Washer Fluid - Are the problems real?

Let me start by saying I don't like the Rain-X that you rub onto the windshield. In my experience it causes streaks and sometimes it makes the wiper blades skip across the windshield. The last time I used it was 15+ years ago so maybe it's gotten better.

I love the Rain-X washer fluid because it applies itself every time you spray your windshield. You just keep the tank full and forget about it. It works wonders in heavy rain. In situations where you would have near zero visibility, it allows you to see perfectly. It makes the car much safer to drive.

I've used the orange Rain-X washer fluid religiously on all my cars for many years and never had a problem. This includes 3 years on a leased F36. But now, some people are warning that using this type of washer fluid will ruin the sensor in the reservoir tank, leading to costly repair bills.

Does anybody here have any first or second hand knowledge about this? Like myself, has anybody else used this in their BMW's in the past without having any problems?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
3139
Rep
2,505
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Yes, that stuff does not get along with BMW's system. There is a note about it on the owner's manual. If you use it and it damagers the sensors BMW will not cover it under warranty.
__________________
Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
jpichardo@tulley.com


Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
phillyd2
Lieutenant
178
Rep
452
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Damn, never knew this was a thing. But found....

https://bimmertips.com/pro-tip-dont-...d-in-your-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Score04
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: Acura RSX Type-S
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

So, is OEM BMW fluid like Rain X and provide the same effects? Or, is it like any cheap blue stuff out at the stores?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
CrownRoyal79
Second Lieutenant
CrownRoyal79's Avatar
United_States
166
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
So, is OEM BMW fluid like Rain X and provide the same effects? Or, is it like any cheap blue stuff out at the stores?
The OEM fluid is just regular fluid, like the cheap blue stuff at Walmart. It doesn't have any water repelling effects like RAIN-X.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
LarrySinNJ's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

The BMW washer fluid is great if you live in a warmer climate. If colder climate, at $4 a bottle, this stuff gets expensive.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 G20 330i xDrive Med. Blue/Cognac Leather ZCV|ZPP|ZPX|HK|Remote Start
2016 F06 640i xDrive Med. Blue/Red Leather MSport|B&O|Driver Asst+|Cold|Night (Ret'd)
2013 F30 335i xDrive Mineral Grey/Black Leather (Ret'd)
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Score04
Second Lieutenant
77
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: Acura RSX Type-S
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
The OEM fluid is just regular fluid, like the cheap blue stuff at Walmart. It doesn't have any water repelling effects like RAIN-X.
Well, that's disappointing news completely. Rain X vs cheap blue stuff is night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
siegester
Lieutenant
siegester's Avatar
115
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I had to pull apart the washer fluid resevoir on my e82 as it was completely clogged up, so i just use the cheap stuff now
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
TheBingoBalls's Avatar
Canada
1399
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I didn't believe it as well until I decided to just try it out on my E90 last winter. Affected the pump and had to replace it. Will stick to the windshield application instead of the actual fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
3139
Rep
2,505
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
https://www.rainx.com/wp-content/the...d-cleaners.png
__________________
Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
jpichardo@tulley.com


Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
WXdrivefun
Second Lieutenant
WXdrivefun's Avatar
Canada
109
Rep
281
Posts

Drives: G20 330Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Will streaking occur/damage to wiper blades occur if using the 2in1 RainX window cleaner on external windshield and using normal OEM recommended BMW windshield fluid?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
syd34
Enlisted Member
syd34's Avatar
Canada
26
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i GC
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Let me start by saying I don't like the Rain-X that you rub onto the windshield. In my experience it causes streaks and sometimes it makes the wiper blades skip across the windshield. The last time I used it was 15+ years ago so maybe it's gotten better.

I love the Rain-X washer fluid because it applies itself every time you spray your windshield. You just keep the tank full and forget about it. It works wonders in heavy rain. In situations where you would have near zero visibility, it allows you to see perfectly. It makes the car much safer to drive.

I've used the orange Rain-X washer fluid religiously on all my cars for many years and never had a problem. This includes 3 years on a leased F36. But now, some people are warning that using this type of washer fluid will ruin the sensor in the reservoir tank, leading to costly repair bills.

Does anybody here have any first or second hand knowledge about this? Like myself, has anybody else used this in their BMW's in the past without having any problems?
Yes, it ruins our washer sensor. I used Rain-X for years on various vehicles (Lexus/Toyota/Honda/Mazda) and had no issues. So I never thought twice about using it my car.

Now my "Low Washer Fluid" warning remains on, even though the reservoir is full. I will never use Rain-X again. I have only had my car for 7 months. I should have researched before using
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #13
hmgeek
New Member
5
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: x3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

BTW, I think we are going about this the wrong way.

Why is BMW making a washer reservoir with inferior components that causes clogs with one of the top selling windshield washers in the industry? As stated we have all used Rain-X washer fluid and it's significantly superior than the blue stuff. Most if not all manufactures don't have a problem with it. Shouldn't BMW try to solve this and use other materials? Just a thought.
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
176
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i Msport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgeek View Post
BTW, I think we are going about this the wrong way.

Why is BMW making a washer reservoir with inferior components that causes clogs with one of the top selling windshield washers in the industry? As stated we have all used Rain-X washer fluid and it's significantly superior than the blue stuff. Most if not all manufactures don't have a problem with it. Shouldn't BMW try to solve this and use other materials? Just a thought.
Sometimes I dont know what this company is doing. Surreal.


I have a question, on this new wiper system with the integrated nozzles, i noticed not all of the nozzles fire water. I thought they were clogged but I went in with a needle to "clear" them but nothing was wrong.

Anyone experience this?
__________________
E36 318ti
E46 320i
E82 135i
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST