Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Hardwire dashcam

01-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
siegester
BMW Newbie
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I just looked this up because it seemed like a clever solution, but holy shit....~$300 for a battery. That seems steep for what it is.
Yeah, I really wanted one but have hesitated because of price too. I will get one eventually though, better to have parking mode than not
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #24
simonbt
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedeejay View Post
Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

Just got all my stuff this morning. Didnt think about what size fuse taps I'd need, only got Mini ones

Just to check I got this right for tapping into Mini fuses

Batt (always on) to #36
Acc (switched) to #59

Tried using a circuit tester on the fuses but naturally as soon as you open the car door every fuse comes to life so couldnt actually check which ones are always on or switched myself
If you turn the ignition off and leave the doors open it does eventually all turn off so you can test.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 01:10 AM   #25
simonbt
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus (G21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I just looked this up because it seemed like a clever solution, but holy shit....~$300 for a battery. That seems steep for what it is.
Yeh, it is pretty expensive but the reasons I used to justify it:
  1. LiFePo4 batteries are much less temperature affected so going to handle very hot cars without exploding!
  2. They charge very quickly - I've found that it takes around 35minutes of driving to give you 17 hours of parking mode
  3. There's a USB port allowing you to connect a Wifi dongle which will keep your car connected to the cloud throughout parking mode
  4. They pass-through charge so don't require any manual intervention (like if you were to use a standard (much cheaper) battery pack
  5. Car batteries do not like being discharged, so if this saves me having to replace the car battery even once its paid for itself.

For those thinking of heading down this route, I found that a Huawei E8372 Wifi broadband dongle will work well to keep it constantly cloud connected (who else knew if a broadband dongle has wifi it is called a Wingle?!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E837.../dp/B014WMEJ2Q
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #26
Joedeejay
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbt View Post
If you turn the ignition off and leave the doors open it does eventually all turn off so you can test.
I tried that, turned car off and long press of volume button for iDrive. Displays did the shutdown animation. Left door open came back 20 mins later and every fuse was still live. Put phone on wireless charging tray and in a charger for cig lighter and definitely had power still. Don't think the car actually shuts down until doors shut and locked for 3 mins (which explains the power magic pro keeping power for 3 mins after locking door with parking mode off)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #27
sd_dracula
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Something weird is happening to the blackvue based on how I lock my car.
Sometimes I only take my phone with me and use the digital key, when I do that I find that the parking mode doesn't really work, the camera loses power as soon as I lock the car.
When I use the keys instead of the phone it doesn't lose power. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:24 AM   #28
Joedeejay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Something weird is happening to the blackvue based on how I lock my car.
Sometimes I only take my phone with me and use the digital key, when I do that I find that the parking mode doesn't really work, the camera loses power as soon as I lock the car.
When I use the keys instead of the phone it doesn't lose power. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Maybe try a different always on fuse and rule that out? That fuse diagram website I posted shows 29 as being always on so should work though. If that doesn't sort it I'd say return the power magic pro and get a replacement. Camera firmware and settings all ok too?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #29
sd_dracula
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

FW is the latest, the magic pro was taken out of my F30 and it worked just fine there so maybe it is the fuse but I did try #36 and no change.
I wonder if it's the voltage set on the magic pro because when my car is charging, parking mode works fine (might be a high voltage when it's plugged in?)
Which voltage should it be set, 12v or 12.5? I have it set to 12v right now.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
Joedeejay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
FW is the latest, the magic pro was taken out of my F30 and it worked just fine there so maybe it is the fuse but I did try #36 and no change.
I wonder if it's the voltage set on the magic pro because when my car is charging, parking mode works fine (might be a high voltage when it's plugged in?)
Which voltage should it be set, 12v or 12.5? I have it set to 12v right now.

Your car battery most likely stays above the threshold when plugged in. I have mine set to 12.5v at the moment and 12 hour timer, but its only recording for around 1hour30 in parking mode before it cuts off so I'll be giving 12v a go at the weekend and hope the car doesn't go crazy when it's dropped to 12
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #31
2020g20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Found this hardwire install manual for BMW's "Car Eye 2.0" dashcam. It has G20-specific wiring diagrams, fuse locations and other info some people may find useful in their own DIY installs. I'm planning on installing a Thinkware Q800 soon.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/attach...mentid=2024297
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #32
2020g20
Private First Class
Rep

Hardwired my Thinkware Q800pro dashcam over the weekend, using the "mirror tap" method detailed in this post: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post25390353

Like the BlackVue 650s, the Q800pro has a parking mode, which relies on being hardwired to an unswitched 12V circuit (in addition to the switched 12V input wire and ground wire). So in addition to tapping the mirror wiring as detailed, I also tapped the pink/green wire on the red connector as the unswitched "battery" lead. So far this setup is working perfectly. The unit stays in normal operating mode for 5-10 minutes after the car is turned off, then goes into to parking mode once the switched 12V input powers down.

After reading this and other threads on the topic, I expected to encounter issues where parking mode shuts down after a very short period due to voltage drop, and/or the car complains about the battery voltage dropping too low. So far, I have experienced neither. I have the battery protection level on the Q800 set as high as it will go (which is only 12.3V). The cam has run all night two nights in a row, recording motion events overnight and all the way up until I've started the car the next morning. The cam hasn't shut off at all apparently, which I assume means the battery hasn't dropped below 12.3V at any point. I'm not sure what the warning threshold is, but the car hasn't complained at all about the battery level yet, so I'm taking that as a win.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #33
2020g20
Private First Class
Rep

Photo of finished install. Happy with how clean this worked out to be.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VBnZNsq/E8582-E72-0...BFA18-B226.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Jeffrey8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 g20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Photo of finished install. Happy with how clean this worked out to be.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VBnZNsq/E8582-E72-0...BFA18-B226.jpg[/img]
Looks very good !
What kind of cable did you use to do the hard wiring ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #35
2020g20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey8 View Post
Looks very good !
What kind of cable did you use to do the hard wiring ?
I cut apart and modified the hardwire cable that came in the kit with the Q800. I cut the adapter plug off with ~12" of cable still attached, then soldered that directly into the inline fuse holders from the other end of the cable (and discarded the ~15' of cable in the middle). Then on the other end of the fuse holders I removed the spade connectors that were meant to screw into the car's fuse blocks and replaced them with long PCB header pins (makes tapping into the mirror wiring harness easy). Was left with a ~18" cable (with inline fuses) that tucked inside the rearview shroud nicely.

Last edited by 2020g20; 03-30-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0