Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Custom M340i Grille

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Custom M340i Grille

So after running out of patience for the "official" performance grille to come out for the M340, I replaced mine with the "sport" grille and sent the original off for painting. The outer cerium gray to be painted gloss black while leaving the diamond mesh as is.

In the interim they finally did release the grille, but it's completely gloss black, which is OK, but I wanted a little contrast to mimic the M340i I first fell in love with before I ordered the car.

She goes on this weekend, more pics to come!

Before:

Name:  2019-09-06_9-30-29.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  122.5 KB

After:

Name:  IMG_7431-snip.JPG
Views: 1871
Size:  198.6 KB


Final look (in theory):

Name:  2019-09-06_13-16-32.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  90.9 KB


Current peek of my car:

Name:  IMG_7310-clip.JPG
Views: 1862
Size:  125.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #2
DonTheDon
New Member
12
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: M340i, 340, mustang
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Kinda like mine. I wrapped mine though.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Cabby130.50

      09-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
siegester
BMW Newbie
101
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Did you order the all black and just swap the mesh? I too want to go this route but wanted to confirm it would swap easily first.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
Did you order the all black and just swap the mesh? I too want to go this route but wanted to confirm it would swap easily first.
No, had the original painted. There are a couple mentions of it being two pieces, but I'm not brave enough to force it for fear of breaking it. I would think if it was meant to be two pieces, they wouldn't be providing the surround when you order the "after-market" ones... but who knows...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
siegester
BMW Newbie
101
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
No, had the original painted. There are a couple mentions of it being two pieces, but I'm not brave enough to force it for fear of breaking it. I would think if it was meant to be two pieces, they wouldn't be providing the surround when you order the "after-market" ones... but who knows...
My apologies, I see my reading comprehension failure. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
siegester
BMW Newbie
101
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

So this made me curious. Looks like it is time to order the all black grill for a frakenstein!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Final pics:

Name:  IMG_7439-snip.JPG
Views: 1699
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7444-snip.JPG
Views: 1646
Size:  127.6 KB


Original pic... I've swapped out the grille (twice), wheels, front reflectors, and painted the cerium gray vent pieces

Name:  IMG_7772-snip.JPG
Views: 1628
Size:  196.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
Cor
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 135i coupe N55 DKG
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Final pics:

Attachment 2151713

Attachment 2151715


Original pic... I've swapped out the grille (twice), wheels, front reflectors, and painted the cerium gray vent pieces

Attachment 2151712
Hi cabby, could you please take some moooore pictures please... from more far awey and from different lights sun outsider insides etc. This is exactly the same car what i will made with my car. Its looks more 3d more special as original one. Your car looks so sick! Thanks a lot! Do you think that car on Geneva 019 from bmw was lowered ? But your car is sick! Its sick mate... stealth monster! ;-D
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #9
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
Hi cabby, could you please take some moooore pictures please... from more far awey and from different lights sun outsider insides etc. This is exactly the same car what i will made with my car. Its looks more 3d more special as original one. Your car looks so sick! Thanks a lot! Do you think that car on Geneva 019 from bmw was lowered ? But your car is sick! Its sick mate... stealth monster! ;-D


Sure thing, I can take some more pics today outside in some natural light.

The Geneva car is not lowered, my car has the exact same stance. It does need to be lowered to get rid of the gap. There's no suspension system out that works with adaptive, which I have, so still waiting on a nice coilover system so I can lower it.

I've done everything I can do at the moment, with the exception of the shadowline exhaust tips while we wait for a proper new exhaust system. I have the tips on order while I wait. This will become a bit of a project car for me while I wait for the new X5M
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
How's this?

Name:  IMG_7457-snip.JPG
Views: 1552
Size:  362.9 KB
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Pacman123
Private
24
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Hey cabby,

I saw someone else do the same thing with their grill where they took the black surrond and kept the cerium gray mesh. Were you able to swap the mesh on your own or
Did you have the dealer install? I saw a tutorial of how to swap myself but don't wanna void the warranty on a brand new car if it's not dealer installed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #12
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
vicfalc09's Avatar
169
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: M340i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Anyone that's looking to do this and keep their stock grille on the side....I'm selling my original grille and a black slats one at the thread here:


BMW M Performance Shadow Line Kidney w/ XPEL https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652970
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman123 View Post
Hey cabby,

I saw someone else do the same thing with their grill where they took the black surrond and kept the cerium gray mesh. Were you able to swap the mesh on your own or
Did you have the dealer install? I saw a tutorial of how to swap myself but don't wanna void the warranty on a brand new car if it's not dealer installed.

Thanks!
The first grill I put in, the dealer did it just because I was there and having a bunch of other items installed.

The second time I did it myself, it's easy and there's a nice guide in the DIY section in here.

The dealer insisted on taking off the bumper which is completely unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
skw
Lieutenant
178
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: 340i 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

On my current F30 I have the chrome grill surround painted alpine white and left the middle slats black. I'm ordering a '20 M340i and planning to also paint the surround alpine white but leaving the diamond mesh as is.
__________________
Boston CCA 383036
'20 M340i (on order, ED 4/2020)
'17 340i 6MT, MPPSK PCD 2/17
'19 MB GLS450
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
senderhomes
Private
senderhomes's Avatar
19
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340I
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
So after running out of patience for the "official" performance grille to come out for the M340, I replaced mine with the "sport" grille and sent the original off for painting. The outer cerium gray to be painted gloss black while leaving the diamond mesh as is.

In the interim they finally did release the grille, but it's completely gloss black, which is OK, but I wanted a little contrast to mimic the M340i I first fell in love with before I ordered the car.

She goes on this weekend, more pics to come!

Before:

Attachment 2149927

After:

Attachment 2149928


Final look (in theory):

Attachment 2149929


Current peek of my car:

Attachment 2149930
Damn!! I wish I covered those middle pieces when I painted mine!!! They look good like that!!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #16
chenry
Lieutenant Colonel
757
Rep
1,550
Posts

Drives: BostonWhaler,340+18 BMWs sofar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Final pics:

Attachment 2151713

Attachment 2151715


Original pic... I've swapped out the grille (twice), wheels, front reflectors, and painted the cerium gray vent pieces

Attachment 2151712
This looks great - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2823
Rep
2,413
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Here is what it looks like on a white car.
Attached Images
  
__________________

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Tomemic
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: Alpine White m340i
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

That is the proper look on Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #19
37b
☠️
37b's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: M340i xDrive (on order)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Apex, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
So this made me curious. Looks like it is time to order the all black grill for a frakenstein!
Is the cerium frame metal?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
Cabby
Lieutenant
United_States
131
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2019 X740i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JAX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37b View Post
Is the cerium frame metal?
No
Appreciate 1
37b61.00

      02-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2823
Rep
2,413
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37b View Post
Is the cerium frame metal?
It is plastic with a metalized film on top of it.
__________________

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 1
37b61.00

      02-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
saido
New Member
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
How's this?

Attachment 2152722
Love this!

What front lip spoiler did you purchase?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST