Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Rear lights

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Rear lights

Is anyone capable of stopping my brake light flash when my turn signal is on?
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
3,925
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I have done some serious research on this and the conclusion is that if you have a US spec car, the wiring / hardware is completely different and basically it can not be just coded.

I hope I am wrong and I hope someone can prove me wrong so that I can order a set of Euro Spec tail lights with proper amber turn signals.
__________________
2020 G20 M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - ZDA|ZPP|ZPX|1CR|1PE|6NW|6WD
2016 F10 535i xDrive - AW - Retired
2011 E92 M3 - AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010 - Retired
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
A6bullet170.50

      10-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
A6bullet
Second Lieutenant
Germany
171
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2(gone). 2020 330i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz

iTrader: (0)

Subscribed.

I am tired of the US spec cars getting the bad end of all the lighting options. The euro spec lights look beautiful and are definitely safer on the road.
Appreciate 1
RSnic199.50

      10-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
3,925
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Further, ROW spec lights will provide rear fog light capability as well.

I don't think US spec lights have rear fogs built in which as least in the past we could get activated bec they were physically there, that is no more. What a bummer!
__________________
2020 G20 M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - ZDA|ZPP|ZPX|1CR|1PE|6NW|6WD
2016 F10 535i xDrive - AW - Retired
2011 E92 M3 - AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010 - Retired
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I have done some serious research on this and the conclusion is that if you have a US spec car, the wiring / hardware is completely different and basically it can not be just coded.

I hope I am wrong and I hope someone can prove me wrong so that I can order a set of Euro Spec tail lights with proper amber turn signals.
I have the euro lights installed and I don't think the wiring is different. I am in the military stationed in the UK (which requires the amber rear turn signal for registration) and as soon as the new lights were installed, my brake light only illuminated the brake light. The turn signal is now the only odd thing out. I have it in a shop that has done the coding for a 2019 X5, but the G20 doesn't allow them to open the folders for the lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Further, ROW spec lights will provide rear fog light capability as well.

I don't think US spec lights have rear fogs built in which as least in the past we could get activated bec they were physically there, that is no more. What a bummer!
I got the lights in and the EU switch and the car says it isn't available. Making me think it may just be a programming/coding issue. The rear fogs are next to the reverse light on the EU tails lights, and I haven't looked at my US lights to see if they are in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
3,925
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
I got the lights in and the EU switch and the car says it isn't available. Making me think it may just be a programming/coding issue. The rear fogs are next to the reverse light on the EU tails lights, and I haven't looked at my US lights to see if they are in there.
I know exactly what you mean. I have the EU switch as well and get the same message.

The lights will plug in and function like yours do but I believe the modules just wont separate the braking function. Research on the X3 forums as there are few discussions over there as well as the G30 forums. I am not aware of anyone successfully activating the rear fogs or the Euro turn signals on US spec GX platforms.

If your shop gets them to work, there is hope for sure. Try to get the coding details for the rest of us if you don't mind.
__________________
2020 G20 M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - ZDA|ZPP|ZPX|1CR|1PE|6NW|6WD
2016 F10 535i xDrive - AW - Retired
2011 E92 M3 - AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010 - Retired
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
I got the lights in and the EU switch and the car says it isn't available. Making me think it may just be a programming/coding issue. The rear fogs are next to the reverse light on the EU tails lights, and I haven't looked at my US lights to see if they are in there.
I know exactly what you mean. I have the EU switch as well and get the same message.

The lights will plug in and function like yours do but I believe the modules just wont separate the braking function. Research on the X3 forums as there are few discussions over there as well as the G30 forums. I am not aware of anyone successfully activating the rear fogs or the Euro turn signals on US spec GX platforms.

If your shop gets them to work, there is hope for sure. Try to get the coding details for the rest of us if you don't mind.
I will definitely share. I am just in a hurried situation as I can't register or drive it in the UK and the Italian government (bought through BMW Military Sales there) will come for a 32% "import fee" if I don't register it in the UK. I have contacted BMW HQ and they don't recommend the mod so they won't help me. Therefore, I may be forced to sell the car if I can't get this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
3,925
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
I will definitely share. I am just in a hurried situation as I can't register or drive it in the UK and the Italian government (bought through BMW Military Sales there) will come for a 32% "import fee" if I don't register it in the UK. I have contacted BMW HQ and they don't recommend the mod so they won't help me. Therefore, I may be forced to sell the car if I can't get this fixed.
My recommendation is to reach out to all the coders on the forums to see if they can figure it out. We have some serious experts around.

This should not call for selling your car. Also, back in the day US State Department and military folks were exempt from local regulations for stuff like this......that must of changed since my time back in the day.
__________________
2020 G20 M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - ZDA|ZPP|ZPX|1CR|1PE|6NW|6WD
2016 F10 535i xDrive - AW - Retired
2011 E92 M3 - AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010 - Retired
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
I will definitely share. I am just in a hurried situation as I can't register or drive it in the UK and the Italian government (bought through BMW Military Sales there) will come for a 32% "import fee" if I don't register it in the UK. I have contacted BMW HQ and they don't recommend the mod so they won't help me. Therefore, I may be forced to sell the car if I can't get this fixed.
My recommendation is to reach out to all the coders on the forums to see if they can figure it out. We have some serious experts around.

This should not call for selling your car. Also, back in the day US State Department and military folks were exempt from local regulations for stuff like this......that must of changed since my time back in the day.
Unfortunately, the SOFA basically says we have to follow host nation laws. There isn't a way around it. I am hoping to find someone who can figure this out. The place that has my car seems to think Tokenmaster's program can do it. But he is MIA even though we followed his instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
3972
Rep
4,500
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Further, ROW spec lights will provide rear fog light capability as well.

I don't think US spec lights have rear fogs built in which as least in the past we could get activated bec they were physically there, that is no more. What a bummer!
I got the lights in and the EU switch and the car says it isn't available. Making me think it may just be a programming/coding issue. The rear fogs are next to the reverse light on the EU tails lights, and I haven't looked at my US lights to see if they are in there.
I tried to mess around with the coding with Bimmercode on a 2020 M340i but a lot of modules, all except the headunit and alarm, was not recognized.

So it going to take some time before the coders and software develops that's compatible with the new ECUs in the G series.

Even if the US-spec tails is different than the Euro/ROW, you can repin the harness to match each appropriate light. Coding is needed though to move around the mapping output.

Euro vs US - spec taillights:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
A6bullet
Second Lieutenant
Germany
171
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2(gone). 2020 330i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
Unfortunately, the SOFA basically says we have to follow host nation laws. There isn't a way around it. I am hoping to find someone who can figure this out. The place that has my car seems to think Tokenmaster's program can do it. But he is MIA even though we followed his instructions.
Hey any updates on this issue with you? I know SOFAs are different for each country but I've never heard of anyone having to this particular modification. Its usually like retrofitting rear fogs or something simpler.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #13
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Hey any updates on this issue with you? I know SOFAs are different for each country but I've never heard of anyone having to this particular modification. Its usually like retrofitting rear fogs or something simpler.
Unfortunately I haven't made any progress. The place that has my car at the moment said it is possible, just technology needs to catch up. They have reached out to TM, but still no response. I called BMW's customer support since I told the salesman that I was coming to the UK before I put money down, but they have been of no help. I asked them on Wednesday to either help me or buy the car back.

I am hoping some coders will see this and be able to assist further because in the UK you register your car the same way you would if you were a local regardless of the nationality or military status.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
A6bullet
Second Lieutenant
Germany
171
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2(gone). 2020 330i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
Unfortunately I haven't made any progress. The place that has my car at the moment said it is possible, just technology needs to catch up. They have reached out to TM, but still no response. I called BMW's customer support since I told the salesman that I was coming to the UK before I put money down, but they have been of no help. I asked them on Wednesday to either help me or buy the car back.

I am hoping some coders will see this and be able to assist further because in the UK you register your car the same way you would if you were a local regardless of the nationality or military status.
Man, I hear you. Ill do some digging around the people I know over here and maybe they've already solved this issue. The US needs to catch up to the rest of the world, its a real bummer.

BMW military sales after support sucks in a really bad way. Seems like thy're only interested in selling the car, once you have it good luck getting any type of help.

Hopefully you get some good news!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Man, I hear you. Ill do some digging around the people I know over here and maybe they've already solved this issue. The US needs to catch up to the rest of the world, its a real bummer.

BMW military sales after support sucks in a really bad way. Seems like thy're only interested in selling the car, once you have it good luck getting any type of help.

Hopefully you get some good news!
I agree that the US needs to catch up with the rest of the world, I wish BMW did what the rest of the German brands do with their US spec tail lights.

I agree BMW military sales is the worst when it comes to after sales. Once I paid for the car in full, It took nearly a month to travel a 2 hour drive because of "paperwork." This is my first and possibly last BMW due to the way I have been treated through this process. To make matters worse, any dealership could probably fix the issue in a matter of minutes.

I appreciate you checking it out for me, I can at least say the support is there from the community, just not the company.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Fast400
Captain
Fast400's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i G02
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Any word? Did they get it sorted?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Any word? Did they get it sorted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Any word? Did they get it sorted?
No they haven't. Just got launcher pro and are working on downloading the pad files. Never used the software before so here's hoping.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
Fast400
Captain
Fast400's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i G02
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
If I'm not mistaking, I think someone mentioned the need for re-pinning the plug in addition to coding
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:44 AM   #19
Iworkfuels
New Member
8
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
If I'm not mistaking, I think someone mentioned the need for re-pinning the plug in addition to coding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
If I'm not mistaking, I think someone mentioned the need for re-pinning the plug in addition to coding
Is that just for the fog lights or all of the rears?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #20
cheapengineer
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW to be
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
Is that just for the fog lights or all of the rears?
Hey new here as I am considering the M340i as my next car. I also hate how the US tail lights work.

Anyway if BMWs work like vw/audi I see no reason why it would need rewiring because only the brake portion lights up when applying the brakes. This means that turn signals can be operated individually and are not wired with the brakes. Pretty sure only reprogramming is needed to make them function like row lights.

For rear fogs however I think you would need to run an extra wire that goes from the right connection on the electronics module directly to the tail light. You could check the number of connections on the harness of the inner tail light housing (1 reverse, 1 parking, 1 fog).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
3972
Rep
4,500
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapengineer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iworkfuels View Post
Is that just for the fog lights or all of the rears?
Hey new here as I am considering the M340i as my next car. I also hate how the US tail lights work.

Anyway if BMWs work like vw/audi I see no reason why it would need rewiring because only the brake portion lights up when applying the brakes. This means that turn signals can be operated individually and are not wired with the brakes. Pretty sure only reprogramming is needed to make them function like row lights.

For rear fogs however I think you would need to run an extra wire that goes from the right connection on the electronics module directly to the tail light. You could check the number of connections on the harness of the inner tail light housing (1 reverse, 1 parking, 1 fog).
Ok, the reason I figured re-pinning was needed is because I assumed in the US-spec vehicles, the separate turn signal on bottom (see below) from the Euro-spec variant was non-existent.

So wiring from one the two LED main brake light would of had to be re-pinned there and then repurposed as the turn signal but since that lower turn signal on US-spec vehicles as Emergency Brake Lights, it's doesn't need to be re-pinned, just repurpose to be the turn signal as the ROW.

Anyway, I can't confirm with a 100% certainly that the harness and wiring is the same between the US and ROW spec. So until someone can confirm this, we're in a holding pattern.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
cheapengineer
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW to be
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
So wiring from one the two LED main brake light would of had to be re-pinned there and then repurposed as the turn signal but since that lower turn signal on US-spec vehicles as Emergency Brake Lights, it's doesn't need to be re-pinned, just repurpose to be the turn signal as the ROW.
Just so that people don’t get confused the lower strip you are showing is also the turn signal on the US lights. The difference is that the brake lights (the two small strips above the parking lights) also light up when using the turn signals.

As for physical differences, the Euro spec only has one small trip for the brakes and the lower strip is amber instead of red.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST