Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Escort Radar Max360c and Drive Assist?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Escort Radar Max360c and Drive Assist?

Any Max 360c owners out there who also have Drive Assist Pro package?

Any conflicts?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Looking back, I probably shouldn't have limited that question to a particular brand or model of radar detectors.

Any known issues with the BMW driving assistance features / sensors and radar / laser detectors in general ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
themnmd
Major
themnmd's Avatar
United_States
585
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340 i Xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Rafael CA

iTrader: (0)

Yes had that issue, not any more because I don't use it anymore. So I have to watch my speed more. All the sensors make the detector go crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I've noticed that I've been having trouble with my Max360 and getting gps signal. I'm not sure if it's position given that I have it under the mirror using a blendmount or if my unit is defective. Bought it only a few months ago. Have you had issues with position under the mirror? I haven't had any issues, but I don't have the advanced driving assistance package with the auto cruise control and whatnot.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I've noticed that I've been having trouble with my Max360 and getting gps signal. I'm not sure if it's position given that I have it under the mirror using a blendmount or if my unit is defective. Bought it only a few months ago. Have you had issues with position under the mirror? I haven't had any issues, but I don't have the advanced driving assistance package with the auto cruise control and whatnot.
Both my car and detector are still on order, I will report back on what I find after I've tested. If there is a problem, one of them will be getting sent back and other will not (you can probably guess which ..

One way or the other I think it will work out, partly because the Max 360c can get Waze alerts over Wi-Fi.

Also, I don't really speed often enough to worry about it.. my interest in detection is more because I'm a tech junkie. So, I can just as easily turn off Laser and K band if needed, most threats I encounter up and down the east cost are Ka band in the 34.7 range.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 02-12-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Yeah I emailed escort about it and they think it might be due to the detector being mounted too high. Honestly I don’t really notice much issue except when I want to lock something out and can’t because there is no gps signal. Would have thought blendmount would have been fine to still receive GPS signal.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Yeah I emailed escort about it and they think it might be due to the detector being mounted too high. Honestly I don’t really notice much issue except when I want to lock something out and can’t because there is no gps signal. Would have thought blendmount would have been fine to still receive GPS signal.
Does the issue still occur if you use the mag mount that comes with it to mount to the windshield near the dash?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Does the issue still occur if you use the mag mount that comes with it to mount to the windshield near the dash?
Curiously I turned on the “show speed” option on mine, which is determined via the gps by my understanding and it did it fine in both the blendmount as well as using the regular suction cup mount. Will do some more experimenting to see if position plays a role.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #9
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Curiously I turned on the “show speed” option on mine, which is determined via the gps by my understanding and it did it fine in both the blendmount as well as using the regular suction cup mount. Will do some more experimenting to see if position plays a role.
My detector only arrived today so I just started playing around with it. First thing I noticed when just plugging it in and driving was no speed was displayed, the left most box said "70 OSP". When I connected it to the Escort Live app, speed displayed as expected. Is that the symptom you're referring to when you mentioned not having GPS connectivity? I will experiment more with the settings more tomorrow as well. Long-term plan is to connect it to the Wi-Fi in the 330i when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
My detector only arrived today so I just started playing around with it. First thing I noticed when just plugging it in and driving was no speed was displayed, the left most box said "70 OSP". When I connected it to the Escort Live app, speed displayed as expected. Is that the symptom you're referring to when you mentioned not having GPS connectivity? I will experiment more with the settings more tomorrow as well. Long-term plan is to connect it to the Wi-Fi in the 330i when it arrives.
So when you connect it to your phone via the app, there is an option in radar setttings to display speed. I use this mostly to know whether gps is active. So it measures my actual speed. What you are
Referring to is the speed limit which is active when you are connected to the app via Bluetooth. The issue I actually care about is the auto lockout feature that filters false alarms by gps location. If gps isn’t active it won’t filter it out. When I leave my parking garage there is a signal nearby that always sets it off (crosswalk). I want it to learn not to do that, but if there is no gps signal it doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #11
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
So when you connect it to your phone via the app, there is an option in radar setttings to display speed. I use this mostly to know whether gps is active. So it measures my actual speed. What you are
Referring to is the speed limit which is active when you are connected to the app via Bluetooth. The issue I actually care about is the auto lockout feature that filters false alarms by gps location. If gps isn’t active it won’t filter it out. When I leave my parking garage there is a signal nearby that always sets it off (crosswalk). I want it to learn not to do that, but if there is no gps signal it doesn’t work.
Indeed, the GPS filtering is one of the main reasons to own the detector -- my 9500ix did this and I won't own a detector without it (or if it doesn't work). I'm putting the Max360c in the exact same location on my windshield as my 9500ix was ,in the same car (for now), so it better work.

Could it be that certain falses aren't locking out for other reasons? For example I have a CVS near me that never would lock out by location. But I could see the specific K band frequency on the 9500ix and it was slightly different every time, and I think that was why. I don't even know how to display specific frequencies on the 360c yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #12
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Indeed, the GPS filtering is one of the main reasons to own the detector -- my 9500ix did this and I won't own a detector without it (or if it doesn't work). I'm putting the Max360c in the exact same location on my windshield as my 9500ix was ,in the same car (for now), so it better work.

Could it be that certain falses aren't locking out for other reasons? For example I have a CVS near me that never would lock out by location. But I could see the specific K band frequency on the 9500ix and it was slightly different every time, and I think that was why. I don't even know how to display specific frequencies on the 360c yet.
That specific location is because it doesn't have gps signal--you can double tap the silence button for it to learn that location, and when i do it says no GPS. I wonder if it's because i'm heading out of a garage and it needs a few minutes to lock onto a gps signal? Will see how it goes now that i'm looking at the speed via GPS which should indicate whether gps signal is there.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
That specific location is because it doesn't have gps signal--you can double tap the silence button for it to learn that location, and when i do it says no GPS. I wonder if it's because i'm heading out of a garage and it needs a few minutes to lock onto a gps signal? Will see how it goes now that i'm looking at the speed via GPS which should indicate whether gps signal is there.
The garage (or anything else impeding a clear shot at the sky) can definitely impede any satellite reception. This happens often to me with SiriusXM, even simple car wash bays will shut down the radio. Less noticable with radar detectors maybe unless, like you said, there happens to be a recurring signal within site while under the garage or bay roof.

If it's showing the speed limit while driving, the GPS is working. If it's taking more than a few seconds to engage GPS with a clear shot to the sky, then maybe I would contact support. If the location is locked out, but the GPS is temporarily unavailable, it will alert because of course without GPS it is then unaware where the detector is and can't associate with the lockout -- the No GPS message is just alerting to that condition. This has happened a few times over the years with my 9500ix -- for whatever reason satellite reception was briefly disrupted when I entered the car to leave, and it started alerting at a grocery store that I visit a couple of times a week.

I'm not sure if there's any way the BMW nav system or other electronics could interfere with GPS reception to the radar detector? I'm guessing the satellite antenna on the G20 is in the shark fin near the rear window, so it seems unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
bacampbe
First Lieutenant
37
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: '18 m240i Vert, '20 m340i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

RetroGuy, have you had a chance to play with your Max 360c and the g20?

We've got an m340i with Drive Assist Pro on its way, and I suspect our old V1 is going to go stark raving mad from all the radars. I already have to turn off PoP in my wife's 2012 328i and laser detection in my 2018 m240i.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
TTG
...
TTG's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
3,925
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Yes to both OPs questions and I have zero problems with my Max360C at all.

I think the display is set to show: Speed warning over XX miles, advance radar signal strength and vehicle voltage.

It is super quiet and a huge improvement over my 9500
__________________
2020 G20 M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - ZDA|ZPP|ZPX|1CR|1PE|6NW|6WD
2016 F10 535i xDrive - AW - Retired
2011 E92 M3 - AW……………....ED April 29th, 2010 - Retired
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #16
pneumodoc
Private First Class
pneumodoc's Avatar
61
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

When I moved my max 360 away from the mirror (via a blendmount) it dramatically improved. It’s literally only a few cm away but now I consistently get gps signal which has reduced chatter dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
RetroGuy, have you had a chance to play with your Max 360c and the g20?

We've got an m340i with Drive Assist Pro on its way, and I suspect our old V1 is going to go stark raving mad from all the radars. I already have to turn off PoP in my wife's 2012 328i and laser detection in my 2018 m240i.
Yes, it works great and no interference issues with drive assist or any other car feature.

You're going to love the Max360c when comparing to older models like the V1 (and the 9500ix which I upgraded from) which false on about a fourth of the Hondas and Acuras that drive by (and growing every day). It's very quiet and lets you know when there's a real threat.

The wifi integration with the car hot spot which is a killer feature, not just for updates but for escort live alerts without needing your phone or running the EL app. You could also use bluetooth to the app if you don't plan to keep a data subscription on the hotspot.

I had a few initial issues getting it all to work, but part of it may have been issues with wifi itself...the fact that I tried to pair the Max360c with my home wifi before I got the car may have been part of the problem. Most issues occur in front of my garage and it may be because I haven't figured out how to get the detector to "forget" the home wifi network (so it struggles to try to connect to that first).

So my recommendation here would be to not to even bother connecting it to home Wifi if you plan to use the car hot spot. Others are reporting some cars only allow 5ghz connections while the Max360c needs 2.4ghz but this does not seem to be a problem with the G20 hot spot. Sometimes it does not display the speed limit which I assume means it is not connected to the hot spot or otherwise unable to get data from Escort Live, but over all and in the places it really matters, Wifi connectivity seems fine. That doesn't affect the actual detection of threats anyway.

The other thing to be aware of is the cigarette lighter power cord they ship with the thing does not work in the G20 12V socket. You have to buy an awkward 12v to cigarette adapter which sucks because it elevates the Escort plug, but not a deal breaker. For the first few days of using the adapter, the Escort plug would sometimes lose connection to the adapter (and thus power) because of vibration, etc. but it since seems to be "broken in", and it hasn't vibrated loose in almost a week now.

I recommend this video below, as the documentation that comes with the detector is pretty scant IMHO.

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #18
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Yes to both OPs questions and I have zero problems with my Max360C at all.

I think the display is set to show: Speed warning over XX miles, advance radar signal strength and vehicle voltage.

It is super quiet and a huge improvement over my 9500
Curious if you're using a cigarette lighter adapter? Or did you direct wire..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #19
bacampbe
First Lieutenant
37
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: '18 m240i Vert, '20 m340i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Curious if you're using a cigarette lighter adapter? Or did you direct wire..
I don't suppose there is a way to power it off of the USB charging ports already in the car? Maybe USB-C?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #20
bacampbe
First Lieutenant
37
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: '18 m240i Vert, '20 m340i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know what info is shared with Escort Live? I can certainly see its value, but I've got enough people tracking (and likely selling) my location data as it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #21
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I don't suppose there is a way to power it off of the USB charging ports already in the car? Maybe USB-C?
Unfortunately Escort doesn't make a cable for it -- things would be so much easier if they did.

I don't have backseat passengers very often, so my best bet for now may be to get one of the long straight cords they sell and insert the wonky adapter + Escort cable in the backseat 12V to get it out of sight and out of way of the cupholders... not a fan of reaching over or around it to get access my phone on the wireless charger pad.

I think the cord would technically reach all the way to the 12V port in the trunk, but then the only mute button in reach would be on the detector itself given the options available I think I'd rather just reach behind me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
TheRetroGuy
Private First Class
United_States
51
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Does anyone know what info is shared with Escort Live? I can certainly see its value, but I've got enough people tracking (and likely selling) my location data as it is.
I have never really looked at their privacy policy. My perspective may be flawed, but with regard to tracking and selling location data, I look at it like this: what business is the company in question in?

Google and Facebook aren't really tech companies, they are ad revenue companies whose business model depends on selling away our privacy rights. Apple's profit motive is to sell more hardware, and is therefore lesser of an evil. Escort is a hardware company, Microsoft is a software company, BMW sells cars, etc. They may track us for internal reasons like understanding customer habits, actually benefit more by protecting our privacy rights whereas Google and Facebook profit by denying us same, thus have less motive to sell info to outsiders.

So because anyone with a smartphone is already being tracked and spied on via other mechanisms, I'm not too worried about Escort -- their phone app has a legitimate use for location data, like Waze or other navigation apps (which is in a sense is what it is).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you could potentially connect the Max360c to WiFi without ever tying the serial number to your actual identity, and still receive live alerts (free) from drivers with subscriptions that are catching laser and instant on attempts. Honestly run that plus Waze on carplay and I think one is pretty well protected from speeding tickets.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST