Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My G26 4 Series Gran Coupe rendering

04-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #89
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer.o.wt View Post
rendered the 4 series gran coupe based on the i4 concept and the spy shots
IF they must stick with the ridiculous grille, I think the whole front end can benefit from simplification. The grille should go all the way to the bottom, leaving room for an aftermarket splitter if desired. The left and right grille bumper sections could do without the random array of black plastic moldings that make it look like a WRX.

If you told me this was an emerging Korean manufacturer, I'd be praising it. That's what it looks like to me especially with SO much lost DNA. Angular lines are gone, proportions are gone with longer overhangs, the ass is droopy, the hoffmeister kink is washed out. It's not a good look for BMW but overall I can see why new buyers might be attracted to it. With the standard 3er looking like a sandal with a smashed face, there's really no classic BMW design left.
MFNATIK1982.50

04-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #90
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
if it wasn't for the kidneys you'd never know it was a bimmer. lol Bimmer autocorrected to bummer! even my phone knows
Yeah looks 0% like a BMW.

This is why nobody is buying the 8-series either. These cars have no personality!! Not sure what BMW is doing with design anymore...
People are not buying the 8 series bc there is a lot of competition in that segment, and many of the buyers that once went for these high priced, gas guzzling, rocket sedans, are going for tesla model S. There's sigma with buying an eco-unfriendly car and tesla has capitalized on that. Imagine you can easily afford an 8 series for 140k, maybe you are a business owner (not all are but lets play a game), do you really want to show up to work in an 8 series, how will you be perceived? In a tesla that says no to gasoline, that's better. Enter the bmw i4, bmw's return jab.

The design of the 8 series itself is fine.
At the end of the day who cares what others think of your car. You should buy the car that you enjoy, and that fits your lifestyle the best.

When you hear people gossiping, take solace in the fact that you're the most interesting topic that they have to talk about.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan6764.50
GerryM5132.00
Frosty355.00

04-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #91
kc52ar
AR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 M3 Fzn Wht, 21 M340i xDrv

Why couldn't BMW keep the 4 series NOT having that atrocious hood line like the i4 concept
Appreciate 1
pyrat15130.00

04-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #92
antzcrashing
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
if it wasn't for the kidneys you'd never know it was a bimmer. lol Bimmer autocorrected to bummer! even my phone knows

This is why nobody is buying the 8-series either. These cars have no personality!! Not sure what BMW is doing with design anymore...
People are not buying the 8 series bc there is a lot of competition in that segment, and many of the buyers that once went for these high priced, gas guzzling, rocket sedans, are going for tesla model S. There's sigma with buying an eco-unfriendly car and tesla has capitalized on that. Imagine you can easily afford an 8 series for 140k, maybe you are a business owner (not all are but lets play a game), do you really want to show up to work in an 8 series, how will you be perceived? In a tesla that says no to gasoline, that's better. Enter the bmw i4, bmw's return jab.

At the end of the day who cares what others think of your car. You should buy the car that you enjoy, and that fits your lifestyle the best.

When you hear people gossiping, take solace in the fact that you're the most interesting topic that they have to talk about.
Well some people just prefer the Model S or other cars to the 8 series, so there's that too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #93
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

You know in hindsight BMW could have done the larger grill plate but not extended them to the bottom open intercooler section, then added some aggressive sectionals like the F80. Would have looked tits with the aggressive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #94
MFNATIK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 ZCP, 05 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Is Bold,Modern and dramatic.
But this isn't what BMW has been about for the past 40 years. Its like you guys want to reinvent yourselves when you don't need to. Nobody buys a BMW b/c they want to be dramatic. They buy it b/c its classy, drives well, performs similar to sports cars, and are practical. If you guys wanted to be bold and dramatic, you should keep building Halo cars like the i8 and put in a real freaking engine instead of a 3 cylinder.

Be bold where it is effective and counts. Not some BS "boldness" with gigantic ugly ass grilles. It's like they say in basketball, don't play fake defense by waving your arms around. Move your damn feet and be in the right position and angle.

BMW's arrogance will kill sales during this global recession. Unless you want to incentivize/subsidize these cars to $0 cost, most people aren't going to flock to this new design language. I'm sure BMW execs in their arrogance will just blame the recession, but reality is, the new direction of the design is just horrendous and is a slap in the face of BMW tradition.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #95
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
But this isn't what BMW has been about for the past 40 years. Its like you guys want to reinvent yourselves when you don't need to. Nobody buys a BMW b/c they want to be dramatic. They buy it b/c its classy, drives well, performs similar to sports cars, and are practical. If you guys wanted to be bold and dramatic, you should keep building Halo cars like the i8 and put in a real freaking engine instead of a 3 cylinder.

Be bold where it is effective and counts. Not some BS "boldness" with gigantic ugly ass grilles. It's like they say in basketball, don't play fake defense by waving your arms around. Move your damn feet and be in the right position and angle.

BMW's arrogance will kill sales during this global recession. Unless you want to incentivize/subsidize these cars to $0 cost, most people aren't going to flock to this new design language. I'm sure BMW execs in their arrogance will just blame the recession, but reality is, the new direction of the design is just horrendous and is a slap in the face of BMW tradition.
BMW design went bold and dramatic in the early 2000's to much success. That when BMW returned to more conservative routes which were heavily criticised even today,where the models are lauded as far too conservative and staid.

THE 4 heralds an all new direction for an iconic line of the expectedly sporty coupe in which 4 not only looks forward but back at its historic linage. Very much of the design cues that built the past foundations which did also have a focus on presence.
Are revisited but with modern interpretation.
Attached Images

04-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #96
MFNATIK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW design went bold and dramatic in the early 2000's to much success. That when BMW returned to more conservative routes which were heavily criticised even today,where the models are lauded as far too conservative and staid.

THE 4 heralds an all new direction for an iconic line of the expectedly sporty coupe in which 4 not only looks forward but back at its historic linage. Very much of the design cues that built the past foundations which did also have a focus on presence.
Nice Audi S5!
Appreciate 4
jstein556887.00
bmrm396517.00
pyrat15130.00
stefan1543.00

04-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #97
siegester
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Wow, I would have bought that if it was out when I was shopping, looks good!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:42 PM   #98
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Ya I have to be honest, like the comment above, so much of the design lines inside and out are reminiscent of Audi's style ... if there's a complaint now it would be lack of originality.
jstein556887.00
pyrat15130.00

04-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #99
MFNATIK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Ya I have to be honest, like the comment above, so much of the design lines inside and out are reminiscent of Audi's style ... if there's a complaint now it would be lack of originality.
So BMW didn't want Albert Biermann anymore bc he was "too old" so they brought in the young guns from Audi. Now we have AWD Audi-bimmers and Kia and Hyundai are using the pseudo kidney grilles that look better than these faux beaver Audi grilles. Their cars are starting to look and drive more like BMWs so I say the Koreans got the better deal than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:30 AM   #100
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC

I am gonna get a petition made for DMV to enlarge the front plate 5x to cover that front grill.

Other than that, loving it.

04-17-2020, 02:02 AM   #101
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
So BMW didn't want Albert Biermann anymore bc he was "too old" so they brought in the young guns from Audi. Now we have AWD Audi-bimmers and Kia and Hyundai are using the pseudo kidney grilles that look better than these faux beaver Audi grilles. Their cars are starting to look and drive more like BMWs so I say the Koreans got the better deal than BMW.
When you buy one or two I'll believe that last statement. Until then I call B.S.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1194.50

04-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #102
rideontwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

That front end though... looks like a mid 90's hyundai. Still can't fix ugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #103
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well some people just prefer the Model S or other cars to the 8 series, so there's that too.
Of course. The post I responded to spoke more about the stigma of gas guzzling cars and how one might be perceived though.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #104
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is Bold,Modern and dramatic.

How do you know people won't buy cars with the new design language? Have you seen a body of data to back your statement, or are you guessing based on your opinion and the opinions of others in your social circle who agree with you? Opinions evolve over time as well.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan6764.50

04-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #105
antzcrashing
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course. The post I responded to spoke more about the stigma of gas guzzling cars and how one might be perceived though.
I hear you. And I like your philosophy, but I just perceive certain shifts in ways of thinking, and they impact me too. Its part of the reason I bought a sedan (gran coupe) over a coupe. I prefer not to be "that guy" that never drives people bc hauling them in and put of back seat is annoying
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #106
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

Both BMWi cars were massive experiments they evolved from. What if? Strategy. What if? Legislations for emissions killed the sports car?
The i8 was born from this strategy in order to develop a new philosophy for sports cars if the ground was taken away from under them. The BMWi strategy was a gamechanger for the industry it was not just about cars it was an entire philosophy under mobility. Cars were of course on crucial point. Look at everything from services to construction with BMWi not just cars.

The i8 will be replaced by a new i8 which doesn't necessary mean it will be a sports car concept.
That role is now taken up by the production version of the Vision MNext. Which again utilises asimilar What if? Strategy but will be a pure BMW M developed sports car.
The new sports car will be bookended by an all new X8M model and begin BMW M's next road into electrification.

With THE 8 BMW always knew that initially until Gran Coupe that the Coupe and Cabrio would be a hard sell for some markets.
This was learned with the 6er when Gran Coupe outsold both Coupe and Cabrio. We also see this with the current 4er too.

Seems most markets like their sportier coupes offering more practicality. THE 8 Gran Coupe is relatively new to the market but we are seeing the same trends with the Gran Coupe that again it will outperform the Coupe and Cabrio.
And more likely we will see this also continue with the new 4/i4 models.
      04-17-2020, 05:29 PM   #107
MFNATIK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
When you buy one or two I'll believe that last statement. Until then I call B.S.
Hahah, even worse, I bought an American car instead
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #108
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
I think it's going to take some time, but I think we'll see people start picking up interest in the manufacturers like Hyundai. They're very hot right now.

I left for Audi because I wasn't impressed with the direction BMW was taking and have no interest in the next generation 4 now that I know it's going to have a beaver bucktooth grille. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and it may or may not grow on people. Time will tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #109
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
I think it's going to take some time, but I think we'll see people start picking up interest in the manufacturers like Hyundai. They're very hot right now.

I left for Audi because I wasn't impressed with the direction BMW was taking and have no interest in the next generation 4 now that I know it's going to have a beaver bucktooth grille. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and it may or may not grow on people. Time will tell.
Well it has been a few years since I drove Hyundai's hottest offering before it was released to the public, and I haven't seen many people ditch their BMW's for a Hyundai. I don't know that people ever will.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #110
MFNATIK
Major General
United_States
Rep

its clear to me from these Stinger pics that Kia is taking a lot of cues from BMW. From the pseudo merged double kidney that is WIDE, fender vents, bumper design from the M2, headlights from the old E63 6 series, and bold colors that look at lot like Imola Red, Fire Orange, and LeManns blue. Hmmm...I wonder if they hired a bunch of former BMW engineers or something.

The current BMWs now make me think a bunch of Audi and Lexus engineers replaced those outgoing engineers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0