Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Anyone have ERV or HRV systems installed at home?

05-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Anyone have ERV or HRV systems installed at home?

I was looking at getting EVR installed, but not sure which brand to pick
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I was looking at getting EVR installed, but not sure which brand to pick
I know a little about them. It really depends on whether you're talking new construction with separate dedicated ventilation ducts or something like a through-wall retrofit.

Zehnder is possibly the best but they are also the most expensive. They're located in New England.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I know a little about them. It really depends on whether you're talking new construction with separate dedicated ventilation ducts or something like a through-wall retrofit.

Zehnder is possibly the best but they are also the most expensive. They're located in New England.
I was looking for separate dedicated ERV. I did see Zehnder units but no pricing for them. Also checked out Carrier, Panasonic, and S&P. Not sure what to get. For bathroom ventilation I use Panasonic fans and was planning to get Panasonic ERV, but they don't come with controllers, so my next choice was Carrier maybe.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Lennox ERV3-200

We have one installed in our house - works quite well. Keep in mind that you need to replace the air filters every 6-8 weeks depending on the quality of your outside air.

I was surprised that the unit we have did not include a well designed air filter. The original air filter is just a sponge that is super flimsy. Instead, I ordered a set of custom air filters that matched the size of the inlet area.

I wish our unit was better integrated with our HVAC system. Currently, our ERV operates independently of the HVAC unit. I wish our unit was designed so that when the ERV is on, the HVAC fan turns on by itself (to recirculate the air throughout the house). This was an oversight on my part - I was coordinating the components for our contractor.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
We have one installed in our house - works quite well. Keep in mind that you need to replace the air filters every 6-8 weeks depending on the quality of your outside air.

I was surprised that the unit we have did not include a well designed air filter. The original air filter is just a sponge that is super flimsy. Instead, I ordered a set of custom air filters that matched the size of the inlet area.

I wish our unit was better integrated with our HVAC system. Currently, our ERV operates independently of the HVAC unit. I wish our unit was designed so that when the ERV is on, the HVAC fan turns on by itself (to recirculate the air throughout the house). This was an oversight on my part - I was coordinating the components for our contractor.
Which brand is the unit?

Yeah I read about 3 different installation methods and think separate of HVAC is better (its more expensive to install) When its integrated to HVAC like you say, you waste electricity to run HVAC fan. There are hybrid systems, but i still think separate could be better. I am planning to draw air from bathrooms and dump fresh air in bedrooms (2nd floor only)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which brand is the unit?

Lennox ERV3-200

Controller:

Lifestyle MAX Programmable Control, 24/7 Day Programmable Ventilation, 5 Speed, 4 Mode Unit
Cat # : Y2172
Model/Part # : 99-GLS01
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's actually better to not have the system integrated with your HVAC ducts. Dedicated duct system for ventilation is ideal. Sometimes calibrating the system can be difficult.

Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was looking for separate dedicated ERV. I did see Zehnder units but no pricing for them. Also checked out Carrier, Panasonic, and S&P. Not sure what to get. For bathroom ventilation I use Panasonic fans and was planning to get Panasonic ERV, but they don't come with controllers, so my next choice was Carrier maybe.
Zehnder will design and perform the install. It's not cheap but they are the experts.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Zehnder will design and perform the install. It's not cheap but they are the experts.
I was planning to do it myself mostly I am having a guy do AC system and will ask him to run several extra pipes, then install unit and controls myself
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lennox ERV3-200

Controller:

Lifestyle MAX Programmable Control, 24/7 Day Programmable Ventilation, 5 Speed, 4 Mode Unit
Cat # : Y2172
Model/Part # : 99-GLS01
Thanks. I'll take a look at Lennox products
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Decided to go with soler & palau, with their new model w/ DC fans
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

So I installed the unit. It sucks air from bathrooms fine, but i pretty much dont feel any air coming in from the vent. To people who have EVRs, is that supposed to be this way? Or am I supposed to feel the air coming in? I mean I don't expect it to blow like air handler blows cold ac air, but i almost feel nothing at all
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Near vent?

Quote:
So I installed the unit. It sucks air from bathrooms fine, but i pretty much dont feel any air coming in from the vent. To people who have EVRs, is that supposed to be this way? Or am I supposed to feel the air coming in? I mean I don't expect it to blow like air handler blows cold ac air, but i almost feel nothing at all
Our unit collects from multiple sites and pushes fresh air into a single vent in the living room. Near that living room vent, I can certainly feel the air flow coming in when the unit runs.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I am pretty sure HVAC guys connected it wrong, I figured it out yesterday. They will come to fix it. It wasn't blowing air probably because it was trying to spread it through huge duct to 7 different vents on supply side. And with air handler kicking in, it wasnt working at all.
They will connect it to return now, so instead of 7 vents it will have 4. Also will have to check if there is any restriction on outdoor air supply side.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Its supposed to dump air to return when hvac is off and when hvac kicks in, it sucks it to air handler and dumps air though supply vents
Appreciate 0