Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 6 weeks in and still noticing new things.

03-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #67
jonitfcfan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) SE Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
A nice touch is the response to 'hi bmw' when you ask her out to dinner.

Someone at BMW has a sense of humour!!��
I too was politely declined. Oh well, maybe she'll change her mind tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Ask it to eject the passenger and it gets even better lol
I tried this one but it told me my tyre pressures were all OK and asked me if I also wanted to know the tyre temperatures (maybe it thought I said "check the pressures" ).

Here's some bonus humour from my car...

Oh, I almost forgot: hi
Appreciate 2
Seaford1124.00
      04-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #68
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Only recently (last week because I was bored during the lockdown) I connected my phone thru Apple CarPlay to the car. Today I was out for my once a week trip to the supermarket suddenly whilst listening to some music it was interrupted by a WhatsApp message. The iDrive even read it out to me. First time with CarPlay and I was impressed.

6 months in and still learning......

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      04-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #69
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Carplay is brilliant, until you have a mischevous mate in the car who decides to send a message from me to the whatsapp group we are all on....you can imagine it wasnt exactly putting me in a good light
Appreciate 2
Karl V100.50
ryanm71.50
      04-11-2020, 06:39 AM   #70
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Only recently (last week because I was bored during the lockdown) I connected my phone thru Apple CarPlay to the car. Today I was out for my once a week trip to the supermarket suddenly whilst listening to some music it was interrupted by a WhatsApp message. The iDrive even read it out to me. First time with CarPlay and I was impressed.

6 months in and still learning......
That's dangerous! The filth coming through some of my WhatsApp groups at the moment from bored petrolheads is a bit ripe...
      04-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #71
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
That's dangerous! The filth coming through some of my WhatsApp groups at the moment from bored petrolheads is a bit ripe...
It doesn’t read it out automatically not show the message on the screen. You have to press to hear it. If you do nothing it disappears from the iDrive screen.

So no need to worry.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #72
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

Probably obvious to most, but I’ve only just twigged 5 months in!!... that on the speedo, the ‘needle’ shows a red line behind it for any speed you are doing over the speed limit. So if you’re doing 33 in a 30*, the backing colour for those 3mph over the limit shows in red...

* actual speeds may have been toned down to not look quite as bad!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 04:05 AM   #73
Thompjas
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d Sport

12 months of ownership and only just realised that the rear seat has the opening flap behind the centre arm rest to allow Skis and lengths of wood to be loaded.

Just shows how many times I have sat in the back of the car!

Previous New Car - X1 Sdrive M Sport - returned it - hated it

Old Car - F30 320d ED in Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #74
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 series, G20 M Sport

Just two days in with my first ever BMW (320i xdrive saloon, mineral white) and it’s things I am not noticing that I’m hoping more established owners can help me with.

A/C. Is there really no single button to toggle this on and off? If not, what’s the easiest way to do it? Same question with the Sync of the three zones. This will be the first car I have driven without single buttons for these functions.

Radio station presets. Is it possible to get just the preset stations displayed on the iDrive screen rather than just a massive list of all available stations?

Shortcut buttons. How do you assign functions other than radio station presets to these?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help a newbie out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:06 AM   #75
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverage2 View Post
A/C. Is there really no single button to toggle this on and off? If not, what’s the easiest way to do it? Same question with the Sync of the three zones. This will be the first car I have driven without single buttons for these functions.

Radio station presets. Is it possible to get just the preset stations displayed on the iDrive screen rather than just a massive list of all available stations?

Shortcut buttons. How do you assign functions other than radio station presets to these?

Unfortunately there is no single button to toggle A/C ON/OFF. If you don't want to go to AC menu all the time you can use voice command instead.

You can sync all zones by assigning one of the shortcut buttons.
Go into Menu A/C, scroll to "Synchronise" and long press one of the buttons. You will hear the sound when successfully assigned or "unable to save" text will be displayed when you try to assign something which can't be.

You can assign many other things the same way. I've assigned tyre pressure monitor, sports displays, navigation destinations. A/C synchronise and couple more.

Go into Media and save your favourite radio stations. Then when you choose "saved stations" it will only display favourite ones instead of all of them.
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 05-25-2020 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      05-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #76
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Just two days in with my first ever BMW (320i xdrive saloon, mineral white) and it’s things I am not noticing that I’m hoping more established owners can help me with.

there is a way to switch the a/c off without going into the menu.....press and hold the bottom of the fan speed switch.

Not sure if it can be done by voice activation.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #77
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
there is a way to switch the a/c off without going into the menu.....press and hold the bottom of the fan speed switch.

Not sure if it can be done by voice activation.
When I press and hold the bottom of the fan switch the whole thing switches off, not just the A/C.

It activates/deactivates by voice command, tested it many times. I find myself still just going into AC menu and doing it there.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #78
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Many thanks for that guys. That gives me something else to play about with.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #79
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep

In the actual spirit of this thread though, I have found something I was not expecting.

My car is M Sport with the Plus pack and comfort pack, so totally manual seats, or so I thought. I was poking around yesterday and I came across a pair of buttons on the side of the driver’s seat which electrically move the bolsters on the seat back in and out. Not quite sure why just that one adjustment rated a motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #80
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
In the actual spirit of this thread though, I have found something I was not expecting.

My car is M Sport with the Plus pack and comfort pack, so totally manual seats, or so I thought. I was poking around yesterday and I came across a pair of buttons on the side of the driver’s seat which electrically move the bolsters on the seat back in and out. Not quite sure why just that one adjustment rated a motor.
I found that one recently too and was equally perplexed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #81
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

Is that not the optional lumbar support? The demo cars I drove had lumbar support which used a round with 4 direction arrows on it for adjusting the bladder in the seat back
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #82
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep

This was definitely the bolsters. I don’t think non-electric seats have lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #83
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

They do as an option, I’ve had 2 demo cars both with manual seats and optional lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #84
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine (it’s a pre-reg) must have it as an option then. I was playing about with it again last night and I think it is in fact lumbar support. I could hear it inflating. It’s on the passenger seat too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #85
Silverage2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just been scanning the brochure and there it is - £265 option, also part of the Premium pack, but I’ve definitely not got that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #86
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine (it’s a pre-reg) must have it as an option then. I was playing about with it again last night and I think it is in fact lumbar support. I could hear it inflating. It’s on the passenger seat too.
It's side bolsters adjustment. I didn't pick the lumbar support option but still got this. Looks like side bolsters are standard on M Sport seats.

Edit: added some info from the manual
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 05-27-2020 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:25 AM   #87
kevin755
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

+1 on the above I have standard M sport and have the adjustment to side bolster.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:06 AM   #88
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Into my 8th month and just found out, in another thread, how to put the car into ‘coast’.

Tried it yesterday. See post below..

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=16

The full discussion can be see here....

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643355

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0