Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Just built a new gaming rig

04-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #45
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

also if i remember correctly, that PCI SSD someone posted has no TRIM support, and from my understanding that could be a problem for some if the drive starts to reach is max capacity.
That's probably what I was reading. There seemed to be some discussion about some serious negative impacts, but it was pretty confusing and I didn't have the time to look into it. I think it'd be safer to go SATA III for now, if I get one. I'm back to modding my car for this week
      04-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #46
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

nice rig!

did u OC it? I bet you can reach 4.0 ghz easily!

btw, how big's your monitor?
      04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
That is a pretty cool setup. I may get that. I have aa DFGT for driving games but will eventually get a Fanatec GT3 providing they fix all the heating issues with fan failures. Cheap china made crap right now. It is too hard to change between a wheel and kyeboard/mouse during a game like Just Cause 2. I am just using my xbox controller for it right now.

I have a good gaming mouse with the Logitech G9x but i may switch it out for the G500. I also have a mouse pad with wrist pad. My next big purchase is going to be a good monitor like an Asus MS246 or a Dell 2410. Need good color along with fast response times. TN panels appear to be the best besides good old CRT's. My Sammy 40"LCD is just too laggy for gaming I have found. One of the reasons I get my but kicked in MW2 and BO. I am seeing things after they have happened all the time. Killcam tells the tail everytime.

I want to get a fun flight sim soon. I will need to get some real feeling and looking controls for it though so I cna truely enjoy it.
i have a g9x myself and love it. i completely forgot you that you could pair the xbox controller with a pc! if that works well for you then maybe you should just keep using that and use the money saved for that monitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Fuuuuaaaark.

All the best joysticks get discontinued....I want a new Sidewinder. I've had the same one since I was like 8...I am now 21.
damn thats a long ass time!!! and they are going for pretty cheap now too lol.

i just turned 21 yesterday, im still trying to figure out how i woke up in my bed this morning....

word of advice to all non heavy drinkers... STAY AWAY FROM PATRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
That's probably what I was reading. There seemed to be some discussion about some serious negative impacts, but it was pretty confusing and I didn't have the time to look into it. I think it'd be safer to go SATA III for now, if I get one. I'm back to modding my car for this week
yeah its pretty technical and i'm not 100% sure what it means. apparently SSDs near max capacity have a substantial drop in performance but when you try to delete stuff it will continue to perform poorly, TRIM does something prevent that. all i know is that when it comes to SSDs you want to get one that does support TRIM. it's unfortunate that PCI one doesnt have it cause it has some killer read and write speeds.

im running a c300 on SATA III now and it works wonderfully.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #48
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

The G9x is great but could use more buttons.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #49
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Well I am going to be taking my PC back to have a few things looked at this weekend. The XFX6950 is a non referenced card I realized which is not wht I wanted and the guy told me it was a referneced one. I want to run a water block on it later and non-ref cards are too difficult to find a full water block to attach to it. Also the 6950 is not giving great results after a few days of use. 3D mark benchmark was awful, so I ma taking it back and getting a 6970 since I cant flash the bios in the 6950 or even unlock the shaders or OC it at all XFX said. The new ones are locked 100%. Still some old ones out there though. OC GPU's dont really appear to be worth it in a lot of the result I have seen from people that are not running modified drivers and/or running liquid nitrogen systems during the 3Dmark tests which is totally rediculous. The average system seems to get minimal FPS increases with OC'd cards. Seems to be mostly for bragging rights just like inflated dyno numbers are on car boards from shops doing things they wont admit to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
i have a g9x myself and love it. i completely forgot you that you could pair the xbox controller with a pc! if that works well for you then maybe you should just keep using that and use the money saved for that monitor!

damn thats a long ass time!!! and they are going for pretty cheap now too lol.

i just turned 21 yesterday, im still trying to figure out how i woke up in my bed this morning....

word of advice to all non heavy drinkers... STAY AWAY FROM PATRON

yeah its pretty technical and i'm not 100% sure what it means. apparently SSDs near max capacity have a substantial drop in performance but when you try to delete stuff it will continue to perform poorly, TRIM does something prevent that. all i know is that when it comes to SSDs you want to get one that does support TRIM. it's unfortunate that PCI one doesnt have it cause it has some killer read and write speeds.

im running a c300 on SATA III now and it works wonderfully.
      04-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #50
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
nice rig!

did u OC it? I bet you can reach 4.0 ghz easily!

btw, how big's your monitor?
Not yet, I'm not sure if I want to.

The monitor is my 27" iMac.
      04-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #51
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I'd recommend getting a SSD and tossing it on there too for your OS. your call though
this