Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Calling All Buff Guys....

02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
IMO, I'd stay away from creatine. If you want creatine, eat steaks. I would love to eat steaks but if I eat one my fiance will want one as well and my bank account will not thank you

Check out these bb theads:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=694992
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=54204

As far as protein powder/whey's, I mix up the brands I use. These are what I've used thus far:
-Muscle Milk vanilla - taste good
-BSN Syntha 6 vanilla - also good
-Champion Nutrition Banana Creme - good
-Labrada V60 - didn't like it. I use to use his Lean Body and it was great though.

Stay way from GNC. They suck and try and force sell you products. I'm used to their hassle and unfortunately I don't think I have any other option other then ordering online for this stuff

You really have to play around with the powders. Some may upset your stomach or give you excess gas. lol But I don't advise taking these as a "meal". I take one in the morning and one at night. Some people get extreme and do 3 or 4 a day with 4 scoops in each shake.

I work out after work. I think working out at the time it fits in to your schedule is the best time. It's a personal thing when it comes down to it. No matter what studies say.

Oh and most important with eating right is preparation. Do everything on Saturday or Sunday for the week. Separate into baggies Mon-Friday and each morning you can just grab and go. It's a bit odd at first but after a few weeks it's second hand.Good tip. Do you just grill up a whole bunch of chicken and what not?
in the bold are the questions

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Any specific flavor of protein? Do you get the premixed drinks or the powder?

Same with the creatine, do you mix it into your protein shake or drink that separately via another pre-bought drink or mixed into water or gatorade?

If you wouldn't mind linking a couple specific products from www.gnc.com ??
Couch provided some excellent info too! Def consider!

I like chocolate for any kind of protein I use, but that's personal preferrence. The powder in bulk tends to be cheaper and you avoid the thickening agents in pre-mixed drinks i.e. oils, Carrageen, etc.

Creatine can mix with anything! Like Couch mentioned you can choose to stay away from it if you wish, it's not vital. I use it without any side effects. DON'T eat steaks...U'd have to eat like 30 of them to get a useable amount of creatine. Not to mention red meats are high in saturated fats and Cholesterol!

www.dpsnutrition.net!

Quick and reliable!

GNC sucks, they're overpriced and force products on you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
For chicken, I buy chicken breats, trim them, cut them to serving size, and then freeze in packets for later use. I prefer the freedom to cook later so I have more options in terms of seasoning, method of cooking, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Im here for pix. Post up "buff guys"
      02-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
I like chocolate for any kind of protein I use, but that's personal preferrence. The powder in bulk tends to be cheaper and you avoid the thickening agents in pre-mixed drinks i.e. oils, Carrageen, etc.
Do you use the EAS 100% whey protein or the EAS Myoplex?

I've seen whey being important but at what stage and how is that used/taken?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Also make sure to take a multi-vitamin. I was taking Centrum, but after reading up just swtiched to One-A-Day Men's. Holy crap, I've noticed a difference in how I feel. It's really crazy.
Couch - Can you elaborate on this a drop more? I've been taking centrum for the past few months, and you are one of a few people I have heard say this in the past few weeks..

Maybe I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #29
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Couch - Can you elaborate on this a drop more? I've been taking centrum for the past few months every day, and you are one of a few people I have heard say this in the past few weeks..

I take one-a-days as well and definitely notice a drop in energy/alertness when I stop taking it regularly. One of the better multi-vitamins I've taken.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #30
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I take one-a-days as well and definitely notice a drop in energy/alertness when I stop taking it regularly. One of the better multi-vitamins I've taken.
Thanks.. I think next time I go to the grocery store I'll pick some up. I'll let you know how it goes. I've been playing hockey 5-6 times a week now, and biking (stationary) and lifting on the off days, so I need all the help (energy-wise) I can get..

Loosing some excellent weight so far though, and have been in much better cardio shape than I have ever been in. Will post some graphs one of these days.. So much more to go though..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #31
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks.. I think next time I go to the grocery store I'll pick some up. I'll let you know how it goes. I've been playing hockey 5-6 times a week now, and biking (stationary) and lifting on the off days, so I need all the help (energy-wise) I can get..

Loosing some excellent weight so far though, and have been in much better cardio shape than I have ever been in. Will post some graphs one of these days.. So much more to go though..
The downside to 1-a-days. Their fuckin EXPENSIVE, like $10 a bottle. Some even reach $15. Crazy.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #32
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaE92 View Post
www.dpsnutrition.net!

Quick and reliable!

GNC sucks, they're overpriced and force products on you.
I'll prolly end up using this site once I find the products I like. Until then I'll buy some tester sizes from GNC, it's just easier then ordering it online.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #33
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The downside to 1-a-days. Their fuckin EXPENSIVE, like $10 a bottle. Some even reach $15. Crazy.
It's okay. I plan on buying a bike once it warms up some and biking to work as much as I can (weather wise). I'll buy them with the gas money I save..

Oh, and the price of the bike.. well, no price on your health, eh??

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #34
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's okay. I plan on buying a bike once it warms up some and biking to work as much as I can (weather wise). I'll buy them with the gas money I save..

Oh, and the price of the bike.. well, no price on your health, eh??
Road or mountain bike? Gary Fisher bikes FTW, Gary Fisher bikes make you go broke as well

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #35
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Road or mountain bike? Gary Fisher bikes FTW, Gary Fisher bikes make you go broke as well
I've been doing a bunch of research on bikes lately. Ideally I would want a road bike, but the cheapest ones usually are ~$700 or so. I don't know if I would drop that much on a bike..

They sell "comfort bikes" which are sort of like mountain bikes in stance but they have more of a road type wheel, materials. So you have less rolling resistance, etc. These can be found in the ~$300 range or so, so I might try one of these.. This is what I had in mind:

http://cycleloft.com/itemdetails.cfm...gId=39&id=4006

Again, I'm a complete bike noob.. Feel free to offer your advice..

Commute (one-way) is 7 miles.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #36
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

As far as Multis go, I love Orange Triad, it also has a joint care portion, which never hurts if you're doing anything athletic! Ask 100 people about multis, and you'll get 100 answers.

As for Whey, 20 minutes before, and immediately after workout. Whey is a fast absorbing protein, and tends to cause a significant spike in blood amino acid levels, that will then taper off, which is why it's important to consume healthy whole proteins like chicken or fish throughout the day, to keep AA levels from dipping too low.

Downing a shake 20 mins prior to work out (with some carbs. oatmeal, rice, etc) will keep blood AA levels up during workout, which allows muscle recover to start quickly, and downing another immediately after is even more important. The best time to build muscle is immediately after a work out, so post workout nutrition makes a big difference. That's where you should eat your biggest meal of the day.

I usually down a shake (and creatine, if you use it. Absorbtion is highest after a work out) right after a workout, then eat a meal with chicken and rice, eggs and salsa in a whole grain tortilla, something to that effect.

Carbs are imporant post workout. If your muscles are a building, proteins are the bricks, and carbs are the workers that lay them.

If you're going to have sugars, workout time is when you want to do that too, as your body will be able to use them, instead of storing them as fat.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #37
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Your bold responses had me laugh man. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
For chicken, I buy chicken breats, trim them, cut them to serving size, and then freeze in packets for later use. I prefer the freedom to cook later so I have more options in terms of seasoning, method of cooking, etc.
Darkcloud,do what E82 said. I buy the "large" packs at Sams that contain 10-12 breasts. They aren't the best to buy in terms of health, but I can't afford to buy the really good shit.

If you ask the butcher at the store, they usually have high quality chicken in the back that they can trim and weigh out for you. But be warned, can be really really expensive.

Quote:
Couch - Can you elaborate on this a drop more? I've been taking centrum for the past few months, and you are one of a few people I have heard say this in the past few weeks..

I can't really explain it all that well. I started looking up on multi-vitamins and for men Centrum was never one recommended. I figured I'd give them a try and almost immediately I felt like I had more energy and overall just felt better.

My allergies have been out of wack for the last year. Just didn't feel right for the last 7-8 months. So much so I went and had blood work done and everything. I feel so much better now. Even my co-workers have noticed a difference.

I just recommend at least giving them a try. And if you try another multi make sure it contains NO iron.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #38
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
As far as Multis go, I love Orange Triad, it also has a joint care portion, which never hurts if you're doing anything athletic! Ask 100 people about multis, and you'll get 100 answers.

As for Whey, 20 minutes before, and immediately after workout. Whey is a fast absorbing protein, and tends to cause a significant spike in blood amino acid levels, that will then taper off, which is why it's important to consume healthy whole proteins like chicken or fish throughout the day, to keep AA levels from dipping too low.

Downing a shake 20 mins prior to work out (with some carbs. oatmeal, rice, etc) will keep blood AA levels up during workout, which allows muscle recover to start quickly, and downing another immediately after is even more important. The best time to build muscle is immediately after a work out, so post workout nutrition makes a big difference. That's where you should eat your biggest meal of the day.

I usually down a shake (and creatine, if you use it. Absorbtion is highest after a work out) right after a workout, then eat a meal with chicken and rice, eggs and salsa in a whole grain tortilla, something to that effect.

Carbs are imporant post workout. If your muscles are a building, proteins are the bricks, and carbs are the workers that lay them.

If you're going to have sugars, workout time is when you want to do that too, as your body will be able to use them, instead of storing them as fat.
Sorry I'm a idiot, but you make the whey seem like a separate step from the protein shake. Is it? Or are you saying as in the whey protein shake combo deal? Are you mixing in the creatine in the afterward protein/whey shake?

Please hold my hand and walk me though this as if I'm a 2 year old

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #39
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Here you go, ZGirl
Name:  muscles.jpg
Views: 9447
Size:  100.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #40
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I have no plans of looking like those freaks of weightlifting

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #41
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

J/K, of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #42
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
J/K, of course.
Oh most definitely

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #43
BayAreaE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91' 850i

Garage List
1991 850i  [7.75]
2007 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you use the EAS 100% whey protein or the EAS Myoplex?

I've seen whey being important but at what stage and how is that used/taken?
Sorry for the late reply

I use Myoplex powder, it's pricey, but it definately works. The whey protein is perfectly fine too if paired with a Multi-V. The only real diffence is that myoplex combines whey, soy and egg proteins for a time release effect, and it acts as a meal replacement to curb hunger.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #44
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Sorry, I know very little about this stuff.

I'm one of those scrawny asian guys that always try and gain weight and add muscle. Anywho, everytime I try to do protein shakes, it upsets my tummy (like someone already mentioned here). Is it the whey that does it? Yogurt has whey, but doesn't upset my stomach. Is there something I'm missing? Or does someone have any alternatives/brands I can look into? I'd like to take protein, but don't want to always have to cropdust at the office.
Appreciate 0