Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Mobile Body Shops?

05-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Mobile Body Shops?

Anyone ever used a mobile body shop?

I know someone who owns a body shop and he recently did some work on my car as far a ding removal, bumper repair and repainting about half my car. Even with a discount for knowing him and because of business being slow because of the coronavirus, it still isn't cheap. He told me, and another shop I used in the past say because of the metallic paint the whole pieces can't be spot painted and need to be completely repainted.

I've seen ads on Craigslist for mobile auto body repair including paint, for cheaper than a bodywork , but I'm very skeptical and kind off iffy on the whole idea of it, but considering it to try to save money.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
AlpineKing_M6GC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Anyone ever used a mobile body shop?

I know someone who owns a body shop and he recently did some work on my car as far a ding removal, bumper repair and repainting about half my car. Even with a discount for knowing him and because of business being slow because of the coronavirus, it still isn't cheap. He told me, and another shop I used in the past say because of the metallic paint the whole pieces can't be spot painted and need to be completely repainted.

I've seen ads on Craigslist for mobile auto body repair including paint, for cheaper than a bodywork , but I'm very skeptical and kind off iffy on the whole idea of it, but considering it to try to save money.
It's likely not going to turn out well. Mobile Body shop means what, he will do body work and paint outside where it's filled with contaminants that will stick to your paint.

IMO either you can get it done right or you are going to have to get it done twice.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineKing_M6GC View Post
It's likely not going to turn out well. Mobile Body shop means what, he will do body work and paint outside where it's filled with contaminants that will stick to your paint.

IMO either you can get it done right or you are going to have to get it done twice.
The results in some of pictures looked good, but never seen the process or knew anyone who has had it done. I've had friends in the past rattle can cars or car parts and some actually came out good besides the quality of the paint. I was just hoping it would be one of those good surprises.

I'm also considering mobile PDR, not sure though?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
DanG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
The local VW dealer uses a mobile body shop to fix dings and curb rash on wheels. They tent the car before working on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 & 2019 X7

I had some a$$hat follow me home, and offered to pull a dent out of my old car I was driving. Gave me some sob story about how his business was suffering due to Covid.

Told him no, he got kinda aggressive, took out his dent puller suction cup thing and popped out my dent. Offered to paint for $500 on the spot.

Again said no, he started mumbling some crap and took off.

I did a google lookup/yelp lookup and he had a crap ton of negative reviews. Apparently this is his m/o and pissed a lot of people off with shady, subpar work.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The local VW dealer uses a mobile body shop to fix dings and curb rash on wheels. They tent the car before working on it.
I know some dealerships and body shops have people who come in from an outside company. I found a few dings on a lease in the past and they apparently worked with a guy who was expensive and didn't take the dings out fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I had some a$$hat follow me home, and offered to pull a dent out of my old car I was driving. Gave me some sob story about how his business was suffering due to Covid.

Told him no, he got kinda aggressive, took out his dent puller suction cup thing and popped out my dent. Offered to paint for $500 on the spot.

Again said no, he started mumbling some crap and took off.

I did a google lookup/yelp lookup and he had a crap ton of negative reviews. Apparently this is his m/o and pissed a lot of people off with shady, subpar work.
I did a yelp search and quotes and a ding about a dime or smaller that magically appeared on my roof from about 7 PM one night and 10 AM this next morning were between $150-250 with "COVID" special prices.

My car is at one of the body shops I go to for other work, turns out they both use a outside PDR guy, currently waiting on an estimate for the ding.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
9M4N71U
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

What exactly are you looking to get done? Are you not satisfied with your buddy's work and redoing it, or is it something else?

The best shops have expensive controlled environments. Painting outside will give you no where near the same results.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
What exactly are you looking to get done? Are you not satisfied with your buddy's work and redoing it, or is it something else?

The best shops have expensive controlled environments. Painting outside will give you no where near the same results.
Hard to explain, but I know the owner of the shop, because he was a customer at my job. The finished product looked good, the price was cheaper than another shop I use including some body work, but I think they just taped and masked off my car and resprayed, unlike other shops that are more expensive, but say they take the parts off or remove windows etc.

I'm not looking for Maaco quality or show car quality either, but definitely costing a lot more than I even anticipated. I seen online posts from mobile body shops advertising a 50% savings from a body shop and it sounds too good to be true but is tempting to think about.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
DanG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
I know some dealerships and body shops have people who come in from an outside company. I found a few dings on a lease in the past and they apparently worked with a guy who was expensive and didn't take the dings out fully.

I did a yelp search and quotes and a ding about a dime or smaller that magically appeared on my roof from about 7 PM one night and 10 AM this next morning were between $150-250 with "COVID" special prices.

My car is at one of the body shops I go to for other work, turns out they both use a outside PDR guy, currently waiting on an estimate for the ding.
Have you tried dentless repair. They are normally great on small dings when the paint isnít broken.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #10
9M4N71U
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Hard to explain, but I know the owner of the shop, because he was a customer at my job. The finished product looked good, the price was cheaper than another shop I use including some body work, but I think they just taped and masked off my car and resprayed, unlike other shops that are more expensive, but say they take the parts off or remove windows etc.

I'm not looking for Maaco quality or show car quality either, but definitely costing a lot more than I even anticipated. I seen online posts from mobile body shops advertising a 50% savings from a body shop and it sounds too good to be true but is tempting to think about.
Without proper curing or prep you might find yourself having to repair a botched mobile job a few months or a few years (who knows) down the road. I'd say do it once and do it right. You dont want to have the 3rd time be a screw up as well...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Without proper curing or prep you might find yourself having to repair a botched mobile job a few months or a few years (who knows) down the road. I'd say do it once and do it right. You dont want to have the 3rd time be a screw up as well...
He didn't screw up anything that I know of, he baked the car and let it sit for a few days after. It's just this damn metallic paint, the places I've checked said it can't be spot painted and has to be fully painted the other panels have to blended and partially painted.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

See if you can locate one of the guys who go from dealer to dealer spot painting used cars before they're put on the lot. They do so many cars, they may be more competent and meticulous that other mobile painters. The guy I had in Tampa was excellent. And CHEAP. He worked on three cars for me...the bumper of my E46 M (and again after love-bug damage), some gashes on my son's Hyundai, and the entire driver side of another son's Volvo, which an ex had keyed. Two were metallic paint. Matched perfectly. Buck and a half for the bumpers. 400 for the Volvo, and I forget how much for the Hyundai. No complaints at all.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
See if you can locate one of the guys who go from dealer to dealer spot painting used cars before they're put on the lot. They do so many cars, they may be more competent and meticulous that other mobile painters. The guy I had in Tampa was excellent. And CHEAP. He worked on three cars for me...the bumper of my E46 M (and again after love-bug damage), some gashes on my son's Hyundai, and the entire driver side of another son's Volvo, which an ex had keyed. Two were metallic paint. Matched perfectly. Buck and a half for the bumpers. 400 for the Volvo, and I forget how much for the Hyundai. No complaints at all.
That is cheap $400 for a whole side. I think it's easier to take risks when you've had a car for awhile or didn't pay a lot for it or don't care as much about the car. I've done somethings on some of the cars I've had in the past that I would never of even considered doing on others.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
alex2364
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
+1

A lot of dealers use mobile painters to fix up their used cars. Get friendly with the used car manager at your local BMW, Mercedes, Lexus dealer and see who they use.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #15
tayone415
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
+1

A lot of dealers use mobile painters to fix up their used cars. Get friendly with the used car manager at your local BMW, Mercedes, Lexus dealer and see who they use.
I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0