Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Bimmerlink to detect knock?

04-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Bimmerlink to detect knock?

I noticed in Bimmerlink sensor monitors, there are 3 options for 'knock'

-"Condition for detected knockers"
-"Voltage knock sensor value"
-"Normalize reference level knock control cylinder"

Which one should I use to detect any potential knock, and what value should I look for?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:57 AM   #2
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
I noticed in Bimmerlink sensor monitors, there are 3 options for 'knock'

-"Condition for detected knockers"
-"Voltage knock sensor value"
-"Normalize reference level knock control cylinder"

Which one should I use to detect any potential knock, and what value should I look for?

Thanks
Condition for detected knockers is what you'll want to monitor.

The value will go to 1 when there is a knock detected.

Please give feedback once you have monitored for some time. As i get a low rpm knock detected every once in a while when running 93oct gas. Its always in comfort mode around 1200 rpm or lower.

Not sure if the reading is false.
Appreciate 1
ztech128.50
      05-22-2022, 01:19 PM   #3
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post

Please give feedback once you have monitored for some time. As i get a low rpm knock detected every once in a while when running 93oct gas. Its always in comfort mode around 1200 rpm or lower.

Not getting anything on Bimmerlink using that parameter. However, with the Bootmod app, even on STOCK TUNE, I am getting knock detection quite frequently. The timing corrections associated with these knocks are always small < 3 degrees. With the Bootmod app, I believe I am just getting micro-knocking that is due to bad gas/noisy parts - less than ideal, but not dangerous.

The bootmod app is nice because by checking the timings on each cylinder, it allows you to localize any potential problem. Have you tried another app?

Not sure, but I think if the car exhibits true knock, it will throw a code ("super-knock code").

Last edited by ztech; 05-22-2022 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
MAKH 587.00
      05-22-2022, 03:19 PM   #4
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Quote:

Not getting anything on Bimmerlink using that parameter. However, with the Bootmod app, even on STOCK TUNE, I am getting knock detection quite frequently. The timing corrections associated with these knocks are always small < 3 degrees. With the Bootmod app, I believe I am just getting micro-knocking that is due to bad gas/noisy parts - not dangerous, but not ideal either.

The bootmod app is nice because by checking the timings on each cylinder, it allows you to localize any potential problem. Have you tried another app?

Not sure, but I think if the car exhibits true knock, it will throw a code ("super-knock code").
Thats interesting. I did catch one instance while logging with bimmerlink but the timing corrections associated with the knock event were pretty normal throughout the log and very minimal if at all. Also, because my tune is from Mission Performance i dont think i can use bootmod3 logging. But, I have used it in the past with my f30 and agree it was great in that aspect.

Another thing to mention, Mission Performance states they "extensively modified the knock control to ensure reliability and saftey" so maybe its a little sensitive in my situation. Alex from MP also thought it was just bad gas and nothing to be worried about.

And you are correct. Serious knock would throw a code for sure!

I've been using bmw fuel system cleaner to mitigate any nasty damage the bad gas could be causing. Hopefully there is nothing really to worry about!

Added some pics of what i monitor in bimmerlink
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats interesting. I did catch one instance while logging with bimmerlink but the timing corrections associated with the knock event were pretty normal throughout the log and very minimal if at all. Also, because my tune is from Mission Performance i dont think i can use bootmod3 logging. But, I have used it in the past with my f30 and agree it was great in that aspect.

Another thing to mention, Mission Performance states they "extensively modified the knock control to ensure reliability and saftey" so maybe its a little sensitive in my situation. Alex from MP also thought it was just bad gas and nothing to be worried about.

And you are correct. Serious knock would throw a code for sure!

I've been using bmw fuel system cleaner to mitigate any nasty damage the bad gas could be causing. Hopefully there is nothing really to worry about!

Added some pics of what i monitor in bimmerlink

Yes, I am thinking the knock we are seeing, reflects 'fine knock learning' (a Subaru term), to keep the engine performance at the upper power limits (for that tune), just before things go bad. I even reverted my car to stock tune, and still get about 5-10 knocks every 1/2 hour. If it's convenient for you, go back to stock to check out the knock feedback. Nice ride, by the way.

Last edited by ztech; 05-22-2022 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 06:47 PM   #6
cvince
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Not getting anything on Bimmerlink using that parameter. However, with the Bootmod app, even on STOCK TUNE, I am getting knock detection quite frequently. The timing corrections associated with these knocks are always small < 3 degrees. With the Bootmod app, I believe I am just getting micro-knocking that is due to bad gas/noisy parts - less than ideal, but not dangerous.

Just curious, how did you check for timing corrections?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvince View Post
Just curious, how did you check for timing corrections?
Through Bootmod datalog. The corrections are all under 3 degrees, and apparently that is common.

Forced induction engines are designed to use small amounts of knock to adjust timing for maximum power while keeping the engine safe.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #8
cvince
Rep

Quote:
Through Bootmod datalog. The corrections are all under 3 degrees, and apparently that is common.

Forced induction engines are designed to use small amounts of knock to adjust timing for maximum power while keeping the engine safe.

Thanks! I too came from the Subaru world as well haha. I just got my M5 2 days ago, and I was hoping to display something like Fine Knock Learn, DAM, and Feedback Knock Correction (Subaru terms you undoubtedly find familiar) through something like BimmerLink.

Is tuning software on a laptop the only way to get these values in Bimmer land?

Last edited by cvince; 05-30-2022 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #9
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I too came from the Subaru world as well haha. I just got my M5 2 days ago, and I was hoping to display something like Fine Knock Learn, DAM, and Feedback Knock Correction (Subaru terms you undoubtedly find familiar) through something like BimmerLink.

Is tuning software on a laptop the only way to get these values in Bimmer land?

Bimmerlink and Bootmod have their own android/iphone apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:31 AM   #10
cvince
Rep

Quote:
Bimmerlink and Bootmod have their own android/iphone apps.
Sorry, maybe my question was poorly phrased. I'm aware Bimmerlink has its own app. I'm just trying to find the equivalent BMW equivalents for those values that I'm familiar with (especially something like DAM) and display them on the app while I'm driving.

I'm used to having a Feedback Knock/Fine Knock Learn min/max while driving around to see if the engine did anything bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #11
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, maybe my question was poorly phrased. I'm aware Bimmerlink has its own app. I'm just trying to find the equivalent BMW equivalents for those values that I'm familiar with (especially something like DAM) and display them on the app while I'm driving.

I'm used to having a Feedback Knock/Fine Knock Learn min/max while driving around to see if the engine did anything bad.
In Bimmerlink it is "Condition for detected knockers" which reflects actual knock count. You can also monitor individual cylinders knock sensor voltages. You can see the voltage will often increase reflecting some degree of noise either internal to the engine or somewhere under the hood, but that is just fluctation that generally reflects normal engine noise. Suburau DAM is a "general timing change", and I'm not sure if such a parameter exists in Bimmerlink, but from what I understand, there are parameters to monitor timing changes for each individual cylinder - unfortunately, I'm not aware of the name of the parameter (maybe "Firing angle Cylinder #"). In Bootmod it is "ignition timing cylinder #", and that is one of the parameters logged by default.

Last edited by ztech; 06-02-2022 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0