Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e home charging

03-05-2020, 02:09 AM   #23
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
It makes sense because the pod point charger is only 3.6kwh. But the 330e draw is 3.7kwh. I guess?
One would not notice 100 W difference; sounds more like a rounding difference in the math. With maximum 30 minutes of preconditioning the difference between 3,6 kW and 3.7 kW charger would be 0,05 kWh provided in via the Type 2 cable, less than 0,5% of 330e net battery. This in couple of hundred meters in range difference, not kilometers.

Any difference between 3.6/3.7 kW and 7.2 kW charger sounds like bad/ bad quality (or badly configured) charger in the 3.6/3.7 kW case where charger is actually providing way below 16A than a 7.2 kW charger providing "improvements" over a 3.7 kW one. This could be confirmed if for example the Connected mobile app shows closer to 90% than 100% battery after preconditioning; we already the range displayed in the car is pretty much a random number based on driving history and AC settings...

I've charged and preconditioned my 330e in -8 degree celsius (18 F) a few weeks back for several days and battery showed 100% in the mobile app after the preconditioning was ready; this is with an Easee (I've also verified this from the Easee charger's mobile app that shows car drawing maxiumum of 3.7 kW) charger configured to provide 16A. The range car showed inside the car each day was different (between 31 and 37 km); due to my driving history, AC settings etc..

I've also heard that preconditioning can draw maximum of 5 kW, but that just means 5 kW total from cable+battery; it does not indicate higher draw from the Type 2 cable; that would mean car drawing in 22A when no spec says anything about more than 16A; lot of people are using cables/fuses rated to 16A.

Last edited by tn1krr; 03-05-2020 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:32 AM   #24
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Thats just the OLEV grant isnt it? Some folk have to pay more if the install deviates from the standard.

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/olev-grant
Reading the offer its in addition to the OLEV grant? Most installations cost 299 pounds upwards including the OLEV, i think this offers to cover that cost within the stated limits.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #25
Arek
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

I had installed my WallBox from EDF Energy January. They offered OLEV grant plus discount. My installation was not a "standard" one. required a lot of more work and cable, but I still had it at reasonable price all together. They installed 32A extra circuit in my electric board with corresponding charger box.
Hopefully I will collect my car today, so in few days I probably will be able to answer question how much power is draw from box with preconditioning.
I know that EDF is not the cheapest one. But they offer me quite good discounts combined with EV tarif.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
One would not notice 100 W difference; sounds more like a rounding difference in the math. With maximum 30 minutes of preconditioning the difference between 3,6 kW and 3.7 kW charger would be 0,05 kWh provided in via the Type 2 cable, less than 0,5% of 330e net battery. This in couple of hundred meters in range difference, not kilometers.

Any difference between 3.6/3.7 kW and 7.2 kW charger sounds like bad/ bad quality (or badly configured) charger in the 3.6/3.7 kW case where charger is actually providing way below 16A than a 7.2 kW charger providing "improvements" over a 3.7 kW one. This could be confirmed if for example the Connected mobile app shows closer to 90% than 100% battery after preconditioning; we already the range displayed in the car is pretty much a random number based on driving history and AC settings...

I've charged and preconditioned my 330e in -8 degree celsius (18 F) a few weeks back for several days and battery showed 100% in the mobile app after the preconditioning was ready; this is with an Easee (I've also verified this from the Easee charger's mobile app that shows car drawing maxiumum of 3.7 kW) charger configured to provide 16A. The range car showed inside the car each day was different (between 31 and 37 km); due to my driving history, AC settings etc..

I've also heard that preconditioning can draw maximum of 5 kW, but that just means 5 kW total from cable+battery; it does not indicate higher draw from the Type 2 cable; that would mean car drawing in 22A when no spec says anything about more than 16A; lot of people are using cables/fuses rated to 16A.
I can’t pretend to understand everything you’ve written but this is what I know.

I have a 3.7kw capable Pod Point home charger

With my car attached to the charger and not on any timed tariff and available to draw power

My car this morning was 100% charged with 26 miles forecasted range.

After 15 mins pre conditioning the forecasted range had dropped to 19 miles ( all the time attached to the charger)

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #27
Sooty
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

Interesting. So in theory there should be only a tiny difference between 3.6kw and 7kw chargers when talking about pre conditioning?

If the draw is 5kw for pre conditioning, would the car be able to draw that amount of power from the cable / home charger alone considering the max charge rate is 3.7kwh?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:11 AM   #28
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
If the draw is 5kw for pre conditioning, would the car be able to draw that amount of power from the cable / home charger alone considering the max charge rate is 3.7kwh?
No it should not draw anything over 3.7 kW. It would violate the claim that it only draws maximum of 16 A from the cable. The only thing manuals/ specs say it maximum of 16A draw, getting 5 kW from cable would mean 22A draw.

Again, such a conflict of specs and actual operation would present a (tiny) safety risk if the user assumes 16A max. I've seen 3-pin plugs consistently blow fuse when trying to draw 10A instead of 8A. Speccing 16A max and and actually drawing 22A is not good.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:39 AM   #29
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
I can’t pretend to understand everything you’ve written but this is what I know.

I have a 3.7kw capable Pod Point home charger

With my car attached to the charger and not on any timed tariff and available to draw power

My car this morning was 100% charged with 26 miles forecasted range.

After 15 mins pre conditioning the forecasted range had dropped to 19 miles ( all the time attached to the charger)

Hope this helps
The range numbers you give above would mean over 25% battery gone if it was caused by battery depletion. That would need 30 minutes of preconditioning at full 5 kW power without any of that drawn from the charger. Instead of range prediction check the battery charge percentage via the Connected Drive mobile app after 15 minutes of preconditioning, should not be below 97%; the predicted state in the car is really just a pseudorandom number; maybe you have heating set somewhat high for predconditioning and the car guesses you are gonna drive with that setup and it will constantly need near full power.

It is indeed possible the car will draw some from the battery when/if the heater is 5 kW and charger is 3.7 kW. 15 minutes at 5 kW heating would need

0.25h * 1.3 kW = 0,325 kWh

from the battery, this is about 3% (about one mile max in range) of the net battery. 1.3 kW above is the diff between what is available from the cable and what the max heating supposedly draws. If one checks from the mobile app the worst case should be car being around 95% battery after max precondtion time (30 mins) at max power.

What I am questioning here is claim that a 7,2 kW charger would help. That would mean the car pretty significantly violating its own charging spec. Not saying this is totally impossible, but it would require way better proof than "my predicted mileage tends to look better", for example a power draw readout > 3.7 kW from the charging pod. Lot's of charging stations can display this somehow, my Easee box always displays the charging power at any given moment in the mobile app.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:50 AM   #30
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

So as a newbie I am now contemplating getting a home charger for my 330e arrival in Sept. Should I go for a 7KW? At least this will future proof it, even if it doesn't have other beneficial effects?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #31
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
So as a newbie I am now contemplating getting a home charger for my 330e arrival in Sept. Should I go for a 7KW? At least this will future proof it, even if it doesn't have other beneficial effects?
I would if I were you, as you say future proof it and take advantage of the OLEV while it's there
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #32
rf3000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoy View Post
Just make your numbers. Thinking about your next electric car (not the 330e, which is draining a 3.7kW max), consider what would be your normal driving range and consumption.

In my case max is 100km/day, with a high 20kwh/100km consumption that means 20kWh to charge daily. At 3.7kW that’s roughly 5 hours charge. Fine for me while sleeping, so my target charger was 3.7kW.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #33
thelegendofyrag
Rep

My experience with pre-conditioning:

Pre-conditioning with the app
With heating on and the car connected to the wall I get 24-26 miles

Pre-conditioning with the app
With heating off and the car connected to the wall I get 27-29 miles

I've found using the preconditioning on the key fob just about when I'm going to leave the house is when I'll loose 3-4 miles of range so 21-23 or 24-26 respectively.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #34
daveb3473
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) 2020

Orders for the 330e come with free BP chargemaster installation worth £1k. Mine done last week for a tethered type 2 7kw charger.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
daveb3473
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20) 2020

Its free. Includes chargemaster claiming the grant. Was really easy. I just to pay 85 quid as only 15 metres from the consumer unit included. Its 5 quid per metre extra. You can have tethered or untethered. I went for tethered so don't have to buy an extra cable!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #36
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb3473 View Post
Its free. Includes chargemaster claiming the grant. Was really easy. I just to pay 85 quid as only 15 metres from the consumer unit included. Its 5 quid per metre extra. You can have tethered or untethered. I went for tethered so don't have to buy an extra cable!
If you’d have gone with untethered you could use the cable on public chargers when out and about.
Unless of course you’re awaiting delivery and will receive two cables( 3 pin plug and type 2 to type 2)
Appreciate 0