Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Got my 330i M Sport yesterday

04-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #45
Lemuecg20
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
After 2 extensions of my 16's 340 lease since last Sept. Had my 19's 330 delivered yesterday....4 vs. 6...see how it goes.

One thing very noticeable: the Dynamic Safety with active intervention really surprised me driving it home - vibrating steering wheel with auto correction
Was the autocorrect an addition you made to the car, or is that a standard feature? Can you provide pictures of how it looks like on your screen, like the way to turn it on or off?? Thank you and congrats. I ordered mine that same color 🔥
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 03:26 AM   #46
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

No Nav?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #47
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
I understand, I'm under no illusion that Toyota shares parts. But something so unique and what you're looking at every time you drive is unique to every model. I get that perhaps LE is missing some options from XLE Camry, hence some button blanks are present. But 4runner doesn't have a Camry shifting console.
Shares just parts? How about whole vehicles? Take a close look at various design details other than the grille/fascia for this Toyota I rented in Iceland versus the Lexus GX! Sheetmetal, window shapes/openings, door handle locations, etc. Think the platforms are not identical? Talk about "badge engineering"! BTW, it was a very mediocre vehicle...

[IMG]https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1551722819[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Again you're missing the point. Prado is GX460 everywhere else. GX460 is Prado Land Cruiser in the rest of the world. That's not badge engineering, it's marketing. LX570 is the same thing as the Land Cruiser.
I'm talking about different cars/SUVs. Car vs SUV. 3 series should not have blanks because they uses the same console for x5 which has hill assist and other pavement traction options
You gotta understand what I'm saying, come on

LC and Camry vs x5 and 3
Yes, I do understand. I thought I was just taking it to the next level. Sorry for obscuring your original point. What you observe is the result of cost saving and parts count reduction at the assembly plant, as unpleasant as the final result may look.

(BTW, applying different names to the same essential vehicle with minor trim/fascia variations is the definition of badge engineering! Remember Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron?)
Or remember the Chrysler TC by Maserati?

You have to give it to Iacocca... He milked the K-Car platform to the last drop!
Quote:
Quote:
I understand, I'm under no illusion that Toyota shares parts. But something so unique and what you're looking at every time you drive is unique to every model. I get that perhaps LE is missing some options from XLE Camry, hence some button blanks are present. But 4runner doesn't have a Camry shifting console.
Shares just parts? How about whole vehicles? Take a close look at various design details other than the grille/fascia for this Toyota I rented in Iceland versus the Lexus GX! Sheetmetal, window shapes/openings, door handle locations, etc. Think the platforms are not identical? Talk about "badge engineering"! BTW, it was a very mediocre vehicle...

🤷🏿*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #48
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Again you're missing the point. Prado is GX460 everywhere else. GX460 is Prado Land Cruiser in the rest of the world. That's not badge engineering, it's marketing. LX570 is the same thing as the Land Cruiser.
I'm talking about different cars/SUVs. Car vs SUV. 3 series should not have blanks because they uses the same console for x5 which has hill assist and other pavement traction options
You gotta understand what I'm saying, come on

LC and Camry vs x5 and 3
The problem with your example is that Toyota LC is not to the Camry, as the BMW X3 is to the 3 series. The land cruiser is an off-road rated, truck based suv, not a crossover built on a car chassis. The x3/x5 are car based crossovers built on the same basic frame as the 3 and 5 series.

If you want a similar comparison within the Toyota brand, compare the Camry to the same generation highlander. I think you'll find that they share the same basic shifter, center consoles, and probably much of the same interior bits, despite one being an suv/crossover and the other a sedan.

It just gets down to the fact that Toyota manufactures trucks as well as cars, where as bmw is focused on building cars, and don't offer any actual trucks, in the strictest sense. Toyota models that share a fundamental framework like the Camry and Highlander share many parts too, like bmw models built on a similar chassis.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #49
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The problem with your example is that Toyota LC is not to the Camry, as the BMW X3 is to the 3 series. The land cruiser is an off-road rated, truck based suv, not a crossover built on a car chassis. The x3/x5 are car based crossovers built on the same basic frame as the 3 and 5 series.

If you want a similar comparison within the Toyota brand, compare the Camry to the same generation highlander. I think you'll find that they share the same basic shifter, center consoles, and probably much of the same interior bits, despite one being an suv/crossover and the other a sedan.

It just gets down to the fact that Toyota manufactures trucks as well as cars, where as bmw is focused on building cars, and don't offer any actual trucks, in the strictest sense. Toyota models that share a fundamental framework like the Camry and Highlander share many parts too, like bmw models built on a similar chassis.
Lol, sure let's continue defending BMW for being lazy and cheap making cars look the same inside.

Camry and Highlander below it:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #50
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

You have to compare the same generation. You're showing an older Highlander and new Camry. The new Camry is already on the market, but the new Highlander has yet to be officially unveiled. Compare the xv50 generation Camry to the xu50 generation of Highlander. You'll find more similarities.

Regardless, I don't care if the shifters and consoles are similar between bmw crossovers and sedans. Yes, bmw cuts costs when they can, just like every other manufacturer of mass produced automobiles. Whether or not you feel they are producing a product that's worth the asking price is another discussion. I can't argue with the general sentiment that they are probably offering less to differentiate their products from other manufacturer's offerings that retail for a good amount less, but I suppose that's subjective, depending on what one values in a car. I do think that bmw should choose one path or the other. Either commit 100% to EV, autonomous driving, tech etc, or return to a greater focus on driving dynamics. Trying to straddle the line between their past and future might just lead to them falling short at both.
Appreciate 1
bobalis51.50
      04-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #51
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
You have to compare the same generation. You're showing an older Highlander and new Camry. The new Camry is already on the market, but the new Highlander has yet to be officially unveiled. Compare the xv50 generation Camry to the xu50 generation of Highlander. You'll find more similarities.

Regardless, I don't care if the shifters and consoles are similar between bmw crossovers and sedans. Yes, bmw cuts costs when they can, just like every other manufacturer of mass produced automobiles. Whether or not you feel they are producing a product that's worth the asking price is another discussion. I can't argue with the general sentiment that they are probably offering less to differentiate their products from other manufacturer's offerings that retail for a good amount less, but I suppose that's subjective, depending on what one values in a car. I do think that bmw should choose one path or the other. Either commit 100% to EV, autonomous driving, tech etc, or return to a greater focus on driving dynamics. Trying to straddle the line between their past and future might just lead to them falling short at both.
Totally agree with the last 2 sentences
Appreciate 0