Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Auto stop/start no longer working

03-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
Well, I do not have heated steering/seats, I do no use the A/C (other than defogging windows on rare occasions) and ASS stopped working 2 weeks after delivery and has worked only twice since then.
I am not an expert on the system's details but a 'smarter' system would see that its level is low (maybe no instantly but tracked over a period) and would (saying) couple the engine more to charge battery
It will adjust as the battery SoC changes, there are 'stages' to the intelligent alternator control. But you still need miles/time/revs to get maximum possible charge to the battery. If your regular driving profile doesn't fulfil the requirements, it simply can't charge enough to get back to a SoC where the Stop-Start is triggered.

To me it makes sense to cut out Stop-Start as a measure to retain battery SoC, when there is limited opportunity to add charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #24
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

I changed my driving mode to economy for my last trips of 150 km each. I do see that the battery is charging when I release the gas pedal, but so far, no luck. I also tried to switch off climate control foe a faster battery charge. Nothing changed so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #25
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
I changed my driving mode to economy for my last trips of 150 km each. I do see that the battery is charging when I release the gas pedal, but so far, no luck. I also tried to switch off climate control foe a faster battery charge. Nothing changed so far.
Try to stick the outsource power to it's terminal and let it charge for some times to increase battery level.

I also do have this issue but it's on 5 years old battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #26
nahhlt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
Have you been able to fix this issue? I think i'm the same boat. A month or so after delivery Auto Start/Stop worked probably just a few times. Mostly driving in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:39 AM   #27
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

As above stop/Start is one of the things that closes down in my 330i when the battery charge is low - which it is a lot of the time at the moment. Comfort access also,stops in as much as it will only work when I touch the door handle and will not lock the car when walking away -'somewhat disconcerting!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:54 AM   #28
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
I agree that it needs to be charged to initiate stop/start etc. I only get it to work once I’ve charged the battery and then given the little (short journey) driving I do because of restrictions it doesn’t work for long.

It does appear to be more sensitive to SOC on this car than in my previous F10 where I never experienced the Stop/Start not functioning in the 6 years I had the car.

I will mention to dealer (when next in for service) but looks like a general feature with this car.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0