Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

09-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #155
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Yea I figured out the issue and described the solution and @gnr4all was kind enough to throw together picture instructions!!
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #156
UtrojansSC
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Just tried the towel method, it worked. Removed it just to make sure and the noise from hell returned.

I commend all those who have put up with it. Ordering foam tape as we speak will update on that as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #157
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtrojansSC View Post
Just tried the towel method, it worked. Removed it just to make sure and the noise from hell returned.

I commend all those who have put up with it. Ordering foam tape as we speak will update on that as well.
Foam tape didn’t work for me atleast for me it still causes a rubbing sound
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #158
UtrojansSC
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Update:

Took car into dealer, apparently they have seen quite a few like this and will "educate" me upon pick up.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 11:51 PM   #159
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

The sil-glyde has been working without issue for about 6 weeks now. If I have to clean and reapply once or twice a year, I would consider it an adequate solution to the rear trunk rattle problem.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #160
afgbeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i xdrive

I am not sure if I am getting the same noise as everyone else, but what I'm hearing is like a creaking coming from the bank when the car goes over bumps. I tried the towel method and that didn't fix it. I took it to the dealership once and they said they fixed it, but when I got it back it had the same issue. I am planning on taking it back but I was curious if anyone else was getting the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #161
BrentD
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgbeemer View Post
I am not sure if I am getting the same noise as everyone else, but what I'm hearing is like a creaking coming from the bank when the car goes over bumps. I tried the towel method and that didn't fix it. I took it to the dealership once and they said they fixed it, but when I got it back it had the same issue. I am planning on taking it back but I was curious if anyone else was getting the same issue?
I have 2 noises coming from the back. The one noise was definitely the rubber strip at the bottom of the rear window. I got the dealer to remove the rubber and the noise is gone.

The second noise is definitely the plastic strip/vent running along the bottom of the rear window. It is part of the rear parcel shelf. I got the dealer to remove the rear parcel shelf and they found that the plastic vent was directly attached to the metal of the car causing the creaking noise. They applied tape to the area where the plastic strip makes contact with the metal and it has reduced the noise. Not totally gone but much better.

I found the creaking noise worse when the car has been standing in the sun. I've had the same issue with every single 3 series that I've owned and can not believe that BMW have never fixed the issue. Would be better if the plastic was just removed.

I am planning on taking my car back to the dealership to remove the rear parcel shelf again and felt tape the plastic strip to death. Wherever the plastic touches the metal it needs to be taped. Wish I had a manual or video that would illustrate how to remove the rear parcel shelf and I would fix it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #162
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer removed the rubber strip along the window
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #163
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Unfortunately I have the same rattle coming from the back of the car...probably one of the most annoying things especially for someone with Misophonia haha. I don't really feel like taking it to the dealer just for the acoustic seal to be removed, as thats something I can do myself.

Just wanted to clarify - those with the rattle - it was definitely fixed once that rubber/plastic seal was removed? Ill probably take it off and use some goo gone to remove the adhesive. Do I need to do anything else after that is removed?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #164
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep

Also the rear plastic shelf rattles but it’s not easy to remove it
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #165
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afgbeemer View Post
I have 2 noises coming from the back. The one noise was definitely the rubber strip at the bottom of the rear window. I got the dealer to remove the rubber and the noise is gone.

The second noise is definitely the plastic strip/vent running along the bottom of the rear window. It is part of the rear parcel shelf. I got the dealer to remove the rear parcel shelf and they found that the plastic vent was directly attached to the metal of the car causing the creaking noise. They applied tape to the area where the plastic strip makes contact with the metal and it has reduced the noise. Not totally gone but much better.

I found the creaking noise worse when the car has been standing in the sun. I've had the same issue with every single 3 series that I've owned and can not believe that BMW have never fixed the issue. Would be better if the plastic was just removed.

I am planning on taking my car back to the dealership to remove the rear parcel shelf again and felt tape the plastic strip to death. Wherever the plastic touches the metal it needs to be taped. Wish I had a manual or video that would illustrate how to remove the rear parcel shelf and I would fix it myself.
What kind of noise is it from you from the rear window? Is it kind of a intermittent "pop" when accelerating/decelerating or going over bumps? I had creaking bad in my f30 and now I have the noise as I described it that seems to come from the driver side rear window. Cracking the window doesn't seem to help like it did in the F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #166
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

I lay a huge microfiber cloth across the rubber piece at the bottom of rear windscreen for about a week. Was lucky no rain/wet situation as this would seep water into the trunk through the cloth.

Removed it for car wash and didn't put it back. For a week now noise had not return. Didn't do anything else.

Did bring back to service to fix and they want the car to be there for 2 days so decided not to do it immediately

P/s: the rattling/squeaking is more pronounce I'd there are rear passengers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #167
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Has anyone fixed the center console speaker rattle I just started hearing this !!! When will it end?
I noticed the same, the center dash speaker cover I pushed down and it clicked. Solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #168
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Had an incredibly annoying sound like glass tapping, took it into service and it turns out they need to replace some sunroof bracket. So if you are hearing that, it might not be the acoustic seal in the trunk like others are alluding to. I will confirm once its replaced if the noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #169
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

It amazes me how these problems are not found during testing. The cars are tested in all environments and on city roads all around the world. These testers are either not doing their job or are totally deaf since so many members here have no problem hearing and eventually narrowing it down.
It amazes me how such simple problems aren't solved before production in these luxury cars. I will rethink getting one until these problems are solved. Saying that it is a quiet interior is why we hear these noises is not an acceptable excuse.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #170
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

I'm definitely getting the front speaker rattle/buzzing under acceleration.

I notice it specifically between about 3000-3500 rpm. Below 3000 and above 3500 it goes away.

It's most pronounced in sport but it's there in comfort as well.

Does it if the stereo is on or off.
Appreciate 1
Mb7328831.00
      11-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #171
DallasExec
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Anyone have a rattle from the wireless charging tray? Mine has a squeak/rattle only when a phone is on/in the tray (Samsung Note8). It appears to be coming from inside the hinges for the tray cover, it does not go away when the cover is closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #172
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmatt07 View Post
The rattling and squeaks are concerning. I'm about to buy my first bmw and one of the main reasons I'm buying one is for the build quality and quiet, quality interior. Is everyone having noise issues? I had a 2015 mustang gt that had several little rattles and squeaking and it drove me nuts.
I have 4 BMW's

2011 BMW 550I M Sport
2016 BMW 435I M Sport
2020 BMW M340xi
2020 BMW X5M

NONE of them make any rattling or noise.

The cars are extremely well built. Trust me I would not spend $80k-$100K on a car if it was not amazing.

If you are comparing american made cars to these then its night and day.

No comparison at all my man..go drive one you will see the difference right away
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #173
SunsetSleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
This doesn't look right on a 50+k car.. Just my two cents 🤓
I agree it looks ABSOLUTELY terrible.

I paid $70K for my car and I would be so irritated if they told me this was the fix..let me just tape up your car so it looks like crap and you get adhesive all over your door jams and eventually the tape comes off and its sticky as all hell.

I would say NO to that
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #174
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSleeper View Post
I agree it looks ABSOLUTELY terrible.

I paid $70K for my car and I would be so irritated if they told me this was the fix..let me just tape up your car so it looks like crap and you get adhesive all over your door jams and eventually the tape comes off and its sticky as all hell.

I would say NO to that
And you're right. It's just that life goes on and one can't devote himself to fixing car rattles. It's still not solved btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #175
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Picked up my car 10/3, and have about 2100 miles on it. Want to report that there is not one single rattle or squeek. I was extra aware of the possibility of noise when I picked it up because of this thread, and was pretty worried that I had just spent $60k on a bucket of bolts. I thought I had one develop about 1 week into ownership, but it was my Altoid tin.

The car is as quiet as any I have ever ridden in... when I want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #176
klokan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Picked up my car 10/3, and have about 2100 miles on it. Want to report that there is not one single rattle or squeek. I was extra aware of the possibility of noise when I picked it up because of this thread, and was pretty worried that I had just spent $60k on a bucket of bolts. I thought I had one develop about 1 week into ownership, but it was my Altoid tin.

The car is as quiet as any I have ever ridden in... when I want it to be.
I would say that it also depends on roads quality in area you live in. Bad roads tend to wake up squeaks in cars...
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22578.00