Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ on G20 First Impressions

04-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #265
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
I got mine the nose definitely lifts at the mid range. I am curious how much strain it is placing on the turbos.
Depends on where the arrow points to. Do you have a photo?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #266
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
I got mine the nose definitely lifts at the mid range. I am curious how much strain it is placing on the turbos.
Depends on where the arrow points to. Do you have a photo?
Arrow is pointing at 3 o'clock
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #267
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

So that’s roughly 4psi over stock. Max is 4.5 according to them. But my map 2 is similar to max on JB+ and that shows around 4-6psi over stock. Your car will be fine at the 3 o clock position.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #268
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
So that's roughly 4psi over stock. Max is 4.5 according to them. But my map 2 is similar to max on JB+ and that shows around 4-6psi over stock. Your car will be fine at the 3 o clock position.
Are you thinking to switching to Map 3 for higher boost on your JB4?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #269
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
The thing is, in my car, map two is putting out around 6psi over stock. So is map 3. Basically map 2 and 3 are the same in my car. Map 2 felt slightly more powerful so I went back to map 2. I’ll be adding a few gallons of E85 in my tank and then run map 3 again and see if there’s a difference
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #270
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The thing is, in my car, map two is putting out around 6psi over stock. So is map 3. Basically map 2 and 3 are the same in my car. Map 2 felt slightly more powerful so I went back to map 2. I’ll be adding a few gallons of E85 in my tank and then run map 3 again and see if there’s a difference
Wait I thought map 2 was additive boost of 4 psi which is around the same as JB+ and Map 3 was 6 psi? Can you explain how map 2 and 3 are the same for you? Also do you know how much psi our cars produce stock and how much PSI is safe to boost to?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #271
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait I thought map 2 was additive boost of 4 psi which is around the same as JB+ and Map 3 was 6 psi? Can you explain how map 2 and 3 are the same for you? Also do you know how much psi our cars produce stock and how much PSI is safe to boost to?
That’s what I thought too. And that’s what the jb4 firmware guide mentioned. But my map 2 is pushing out around 6psi more than stock going by the logs. I’ve sent logs to people at BMS as well as friends and it looks fine so far. So I didn’t bother to ask them much.
Map 3 was slightly worse than map 2 for me. Another person running JB4 mentioned the same on his 330i and he’s running map 2 for now too.

Stock, our cars don’t produce too much boost. Around 13-14psi max. It’s in the 11-12 psi range most of the time. With map 2, mine is pushing around 19-19.5psi max.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #272
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well. I screwed up. I got the grey lock thing accidentally off of my TMAP sensor and it fell into the engine bay while trying to install. Idk what the hell to do. The TMAP sensor will also not come off. Help lmao.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #273
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well. I screwed up. I got the grey lock thing accidentally off of my TMAP sensor and it fell into the engine bay while trying to install. Idk what the hell to do. The TMAP sensor will also not come off. Help lmao.
Don’t worry about the grey thing. It’s not a necessity

Use a small screwdriver and slide it under the black tab (look at the corresponding/same tab on the JB+ to get an idea - the grey tab you lost rests on top of a black tab - slip the head of the screwdriver under that black tab). Lift the black tab up and pull the connector. It will slide off.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 04-07-2020 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #274
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don’t worry about the grey thing. It’s not a necessity

Use a small screwdriver and slide it under the black tab (look at the corresponding/same tab on the JB+ to get an idea). Lift the black tab up and pull the connector. It will slide off.
Quote:
Quote:
Don't worry about the grey thing. It's not a necessity

Use a small screwdriver and slide it under the black tab (look at the corresponding/same tab on the JB+ to get an idea). Lift the black tab up and pull the connector. It will slide off.

Putting my screwdriver in and the damn thing still won't come off. I'm also worried whether the grey tab falling in will screw up anything
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #275
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Putting my screwdriver in and the damn thing still won't come off. I'm also worried whether the grey tab falling in will screw up anything
You need a small screwdriver. I don’t think a big one can slide under that. And slip it under the black tab. Send me a photo of the JB+ plug from the pin side part. I’ll show you which tab.

And the grey tab won’t mess anything up. Trust me. I don’t have mine too and I broke my clip EXACTLY how you broke yours.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #276
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Got it off except scared that the grey piece that fell into the engine bay might do something bad.
Appreciate 1
achk132.50
      04-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #277
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Got it off except scared that the grey piece that fell into the engine bay might do something bad.
Nope. It won’t do anything. You’re in the exact same boat I was in. You’ll notice that the JB+ plug clicks in place. That’s all that matters. It will NOT come off unless you use a screw driver again to remove it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #278
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
That little clip is equivalent to the size of almost nothin, don't worry about it. Chances are while you are driving it will find a way to fall to the bottom of the engine, or even just fall out of it.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #279
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks to VipinLJ and g20beam for reassuring me that nothing will happen to my engine lmao. I was seriously freaking out that the grey lock that fell into my engine might screw up my front axle or belt in the engine bay. Hopefully nothing happens as it's very tiny. Okay, so now moving onto the JB+.

Installation wise, it was very easy to locate the TMAP sensor after taking off the engine cover, however, disconnecting was a pain at first. I was stupid and broke the upper tab and grey lock on my sensor and was only pulling on the upper tab rather than the bottom one to pull off the sensor. Later, I realized that I was supposed to lift the lower tab and then the sensor easily slid off. All I had to do was plug in the JB+ and we were good to go. I'm a little concerned about the location of where the juicebox is within my engine bay because it is touching very hot components of my engine and may melt some of the plastic on the juicebox. Ill attach a pic of how its situated within my engine.

Performance wise, I was very surprised because most people said they felt a subtle change. However, with the thing cranked at 75%, I feel like I felt a huge change. My butt dyno definitely puts me back when I go WOT compared to when everything was stock. Past 3k RPM, I could hear my turbo spool a lot louder than previously on Sport Plus. I was easily able to hit 100 mph on the highway without even realizing it. One difference that I felt was that I wasn't getting the gunshots I usually get with my Y-Pipe Muffler delete on 3k RPM anymore. They only come when I rev it up to 5K RPM when the car is idle or when I downshift and it hits 5K RPM. Overall, I believe that the JB+ is definitely worth it for the G20 330i and I even felt that my car pulls harder than my older F10 535xi. My G30 540xi still feels a lot faster as it has the B58 though.

One question I had was when I tried moving the arrow inside the box to 100% with a screwdriver, I literally could not do it. It almost felt like I was gonna break the little blue thing off the green board. Keep in mind my JB+ is used, so was it easy for you guys to move the small arrow inside the blue circular module or is it just tightly embedded in its blue shell?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #280
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Glad you’re enjoying it hamzag20

In my JB+, it was relatively easy to turn the arrow. Only the white arrow part moves (the blue thing doesn’t as you probably know). Did you try using a little pressure to turn it? I don’t remember the blue thing moving or about to break when I tried it.

And yes. It can get hot. The plastic box will have markings on it because of the heat but it doesn’t melt enough to become a problem and doesn’t affect the board inside either.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #281
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it hamzag20

In my JB+, it was relatively easy to turn the arrow. Only the white arrow part moves (the blue thing doesn't as you probably know). Did you try using a little pressure to turn it? I don't remember the blue thing moving or about to break when I tried it.

And yes. It can get hot. The plastic box will have markings on it because of the heat but it doesn't melt enough to become a problem and doesn't affect the board inside either.
Ya I know only the white arrow moves. It was really hard to move it on mine to 100 but then I kind of just told myself I'll wait a few weeks and try it on 75% first and then move it. It almost seemed like the white arrow was fixed at 75% and I was scared the blue casing would just fall off if I applied excessive pressure. I don't know if it's because my system is used. Not a huge deal though bc I feel like I'm fine atm at 75%. I'm looking forward to update to a JB4 in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #282
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to VipinLJ and g20beam for reassuring me that nothing will happen to my engine lmao. I was seriously freaking out that the grey lock that fell into my engine might screw up my front axle or belt in the engine bay. Hopefully nothing happens as it's very tiny. Okay, so now moving onto the JB+.

Installation wise, it was very easy to locate the TMAP sensor after taking off the engine cover, however, disconnecting was a pain at first. I was stupid and broke the upper tab and grey lock on my sensor and was only pulling on the upper tab rather than the bottom one to pull off the sensor. Later, I realized that I was supposed to lift the lower tab and then the sensor easily slid off. All I had to do was plug in the JB+ and we were good to go. I'm a little concerned about the location of where the juicebox is within my engine bay because it is touching very hot components of my engine and may melt some of the plastic on the juicebox. Ill attach a pic of how its situated within my engine.

Performance wise, I was very surprised because most people said they felt a subtle change. However, with the thing cranked at 75%, I feel like I felt a huge change. My butt dyno definitely puts me back when I go WOT compared to when everything was stock. Past 3k RPM, I could hear my turbo spool a lot louder than previously on Sport Plus. I was easily able to hit 100 mph on the highway without even realizing it. One difference that I felt was that I wasn't getting the gunshots I usually get with my Y-Pipe Muffler delete on 3k RPM anymore. They only come when I rev it up to 5K RPM when the car is idle or when I downshift and it hits 5K RPM. Overall, I believe that the JB+ is definitely worth it for the G20 330i and I even felt that my car pulls harder than my older F10 535xi. My G30 540xi still feels a lot faster as it has the B58 though.

One question I had was when I tried moving the arrow inside the box to 100% with a screwdriver, I literally could not do it. It almost felt like I was gonna break the little blue thing off the green board. Keep in mind my JB+ is used, so was it easy for you guys to move the small arrow inside the blue circular module or is it just tightly embedded in its blue shell?
Re: "the gunshots" or backfire going away at low rpm is something I to experienced -Initially I thought it was something I screwed up with the exhaust valve. But hearing that you two are having the experience Is reassuring. WRT the blue dial you might have to push it down a little to turn it.
Appreciate 1
hamzag20556.00
      04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #283
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:

THIS EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME TWO DAYS AGO! I lost my JB+ grey clip into my engine bay

I was trying to unscrew the cover to crank up the boost and I also lost one of the screws into my engine bay, needless to say it was not my day

I replaced the screw and all is fine, I was worried about the grey clip in the engine bay as well as my jb+ getting disconnected while driving. I was contemplating buying a new JB+, but after inspecting the connections, those are solid I think it'll be fine without the grey clip and the new screw fits perfectly. I couldnt find the screw or clip so I decided to drive like a bat out of hell and drift as many corners as I can to hopefully knock it out LMAO. I hope its gone, I tried tapping the undertray and couldnt hear anything LOL what a day.

Was the plus .5 PSI worth it? HELL YES
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #284
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Quote:

THIS EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME TWO DAYS AGO! I lost my JB+ grey clip into my engine bay

I was trying to unscrew the cover to crank up the boost and I also lost one of the screws into my engine bay, needless to say it was not my day

I replaced the screw and all is fine, I was worried about the grey clip in the engine bay as well as my jb+ getting disconnected while driving. I was contemplating buying a new JB+, but after inspecting the connections, those are solid I think it'll be fine without the grey clip and the new screw fits perfectly. I couldnt find the screw or clip so I decided to drive like a bat out of hell and drift as many corners as I can to hopefully knock it out LMAO. I hope its gone, I tried tapping the undertray and couldnt hear anything LOL what a day.

Was the plus .5 PSI worth it? HELL YES
LMAO right after I dropped that damn clip I went 120+ on the highway and was sprinting over bumps to get that damn clip out lmaooo. Hopefully it all got out. I was just scared that it might've gotten into the belt compartment. What PSI did u turn ur boost up to?
Appreciate 1
JSaid286.00
      04-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #285
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
LMAO right after I dropped that damn clip I went 120+ on the highway and was sprinting over bumps to get that damn clip out lmaooo. Hopefully it all got out. I was just scared that it might've gotten into the belt compartment. What PSI did u turn ur boost up to?
I maxed it out hahah I think it should be like 4 - 4.5psi but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:44 PM   #286
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone else notice the burbles are less pronounced after adding the JB+?
Appreciate 0