Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Help me decide...

02-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Help me decide...

OK, folks I need a little help making a decision on a timepiece.

Exhibition back preferred
Chronograph is nice, but not necessary
I don't need a date, but if it's there, so be it
Something that can take a dunk, but doesn't need to dive

Comments about the quality of the movement and any idiosyncrasies are welcome. Speculation about resale value in a pinch (because sometimes life doesn't go according to plan) would also be welcome.

I'm pretty much all over the map here. Usually, I'm a "buy it once, buy it right" kind of guy. I'm a value buyer not a price buyer - spending more doesn't necessarily buy you more.

Here's the short list, not necessarily in any order:

Hublot Big Bang
Ulysse Nardin 1846 (Arabic numerals, sword hands, white or blue dial)
IWC Aquatimer (I like the new style - old models are overpriced for some reason)
IWC Ingenieur (I really like the AMG model...)
Bell & Ross (01 model, or any square case)
Omegas: Planet Ocean Chrono, vintage Seamaster either non Chrono or titanium Chrono, Speedmaster but it would have to be a sapphire crystal - the hesalite won't cut it.

Sorry, but Rolex doesn't do it for me. *yawn*

Though a chronograph and motorsports go together like peanut butter and jelly, I don't necessarily need one. I used to have an ElPrimero based Concord and rarely used it. But I do like the idea that such a complication is an inherent celebration of the watchmakers art. So, maybe two watches - an affordable pre-owned chrono for knocking about, and a nice dress watch (like the UN 1846) for business. Or should I just go for the Hublot and put all my eggs in one basket?

Other recommendations also appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What's the budget? No on hublot unless you are pairing it with a grill for a rap video. Iwc or omega from that list. Speedy or seamaster vintage have nice cache. Take look at some of the germans also nomos, stowa, a Lange and sohne. Zenith, jlc. If your getting one watch would make it something significant historically and movement, but that just me.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 03-01-2019 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 04:05 AM   #3
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I’m loving my Planet Ocean GMT Deep Black. Comes in chrono if you prefer that over GMT. Full ceramic case, bezel, face.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/planet-ocean-600m/deep-black/product
Appreciate 3
JeanCa130.00
wrickem2101.00
      03-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I love my IWC Ingenieur "W-125" edition w/Bas & Lokes Strap

I also have a Bell and Ross BR 03-92. I love that watch. It was my first higher end purchase of my own.

Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      03-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
What's the budget? No on hublot unless you are pairing it with a grill for a rap video. Iwc or omega from that list. Speedy or seamaster vintage have nice cache. Take look at some of the germans also nomos, stowa, a Lange and sohne. Zenith, jlc. If your getting one watch would make it something significant historically and movement, but that just me.
lol as much as I dislike Hublot... these days Rolex, AP and Patek are just as synonymous with rap as LV and Cristal
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Still less douchey. Hublot is like ed hardy shirt and panerai with bedazzled Jeans
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 02:22 AM   #7
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Check out the new Panerai Submersible Luna Rossa -

I also saw the new Zenith Defy El Primero 21 and it looked very nice!

Dave

Last edited by David 12; 03-03-2019 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

New omega seamasters are hawt

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
+1

I really do not like Hublah (as I call them). IF you just need to buy one, make sure it's used so you can save the 50% loss in value.

Any of the brands that 1MOREMOD suggested are solid + the ones you suggested.

You're in the Northeast. There are a ton of nice watch stores for you to go and look at them. Make sure you go and actually try on the ones you're interested in. There's no sense in make a decision based on pictures alone.

Also, you can get some great deals on www.watchrecon.com. Just make sure you do your homework regarding the seller.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
+1

I really do not like Hublah (as I call them). IF you just need to buy one, make sure it's used so you can save the 50% loss in value.

Any of the brands that 1MOREMOD suggested are solid + the ones you suggested.

You're in the Northeast. There are a ton of nice watch stores for you to go and look at them. Make sure you go and actually try on the ones you're interested in. There's no sense in make a decision based on pictures alone.

Also, you can get some great deals on www.watchrecon.com. Just make sure you do your homework regarding the seller.
Definitely looking for pre-owned, but with some discounts being pretty deep, there's often not a huge difference between a good condition used and brand new. Sometimes sellers can be unrealistic.

One thing that concerns me is whether or not any given watch is authentic. There are lots of really good counterfeit models out there.

So far, I'm inclining to the UN model 1183-126 (white dial, arabic numerals, Breguet hands, sapphire back) and perhaps an affordable chronograph for motoring. Guess I'll just wait it out and see what turns up.

Thanks to all for the good ideas!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Definitely looking for pre-owned, but with some discounts being pretty deep, there's often not a huge difference between a good condition used and brand new. Sometimes sellers can be unrealistic.

One thing that concerns me is whether or not any given watch is authentic. There are lots of really good counterfeit models out there.

So far, I'm inclining to the UN model 1183-126 (white dial, arabic numerals, Breguet hands, sapphire back) and perhaps an affordable chronograph for motoring. Guess I'll just wait it out and see what turns up.

Thanks to all for the good ideas!
Yes, buying used can be nerve wracking for sure. That's why you need to "buy the seller" first.

Good-luck! Definitely go out and try the ones you're interested in first. UN are nice pieces too.
Appreciate 0