Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Steering feedback - Sport vs Comfort

08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
mrbonden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Steering feedback - Sport vs Comfort

Hi - I have a 320D (without variable steering) running on 18" wheels. When I switch between Sport and Comfort mode there doesnt seem to be any difference in steering feedback. I was under the impression that Sport should be a tighter steering experience. I have looked at the configuration in iDrive and they are reset to fac. standards, and reflects that Sport should be Sport steering.

What is your experience?

Best Thor

Last edited by mrbonden; 08-19-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonden View Post
Hi - I have a 320D (without variable steering) running on 18" wheels. When I switch between Sport and Comfort mode there doesnt seem to be any difference in steering feedback. I was under the impression that Sport should me a tighter steering experience. I have looked at the configuration in iDrive and they are reset to fac. standards, and reflects that Sport should be Sport steering.

What is your experience?

Best Thor
There is no additional feedback in Sport mode. Power steering is just assisting you less, so the steering feels a bit heavier, hence requires a bit more force to turn the wheel.
To me, the difference in heaviness is certainly there, but is not drastic. I would prefer a bit heavier steering in Sport mode.

Last edited by Calamari; 08-19-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
mrbonden
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

My experience is that Sport is not at all more heavy than Comfort (sorry for referring to this as steering feedback), which was the reason for my post, as that was the case with my F30. I run on the latest iDrive software update from July.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonden View Post
My experience is that Sport is not at all more heavy than Comfort (sorry for referring to this as steering feedback), which was the reason for my post, as that was the case with my F30. I run on the latest iDrive software update from July.
Same set up here-330i base rwd with 18 inch wheels. What tire pressure are you running? There is definitely a noticeable difference between comfort and sport steering for me.

I don't notice any difference in feedback but the steering resistance feels heavier in sport. It sometimes feels artificially heavy just for the sake of being heavy though. I actually kind of prefer comfort now. It feels more linear.

Try finding a really twisty road and drive it back to back in both modes. It's hard to notice in day to day driving. When you take a sharp turn in sport the resistance will be much heavier when you turn the wheel.
Appreciate 0