Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Moving from 2014 Cayman S, what next?

10-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #551
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

A friend loaned my his F-Type R coupe automatic for a weekend last year. It was fun but he and another person I know with a convertible have both had problems with the cars. After driving it for a weekend I have no desire to own it. It didn’t feel like a quality car to me.

I drove a 2014 S5 dsg Transmission last Friday and it was very nice. I can only imagine how much nicer the RS5 would be. That would definitely be the car I would want to own of those 3, especially if it was to be the daily driver. Having a normal sized trunk and back seat if needed in a pinch would be great.

For the record I only buy manual transmission cars but the double clutch auto in the Audi is very well done, maybe the best double clutch you can get. I would not feel I was giving up much there to have the rest of the RS5 package.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #552
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

the end of the saga...for now

So my ruminations on what car next...finally ended with an m240i.

picked it up on the 10th.

this is the only pic that this site will accept for some reason. My GF took it on her phone, it won't accept the pics taken on my phone.

It is a turbo and non-manual, but such is domestic compromise. I actually quite like it so far.

Coming from the 981S, this car is a welcome change.
The engine is an absolute peach, so buttery smooth and eager. Turbo lag is still there (more so than I remember on the test drive), but I seem to be getting used to it such that it's no longer an issue. Car is incredibly fast, and I've only gone half throttle so far so try to give a gentlish break in. Faster than the cayman for sure. Sounds decent as well with the MPE.
the zf8 is very responsive, I drive in manual almost all the time, and so far not missing the manual...which was a big worry for me.
The ride is very comfortable, much more so than my x73 equipped 981 cayman.
really like the compact dimensions.
the xdrive is awesome, the ice storm last night was easy peasy...
For sure it doesn't handle like the cayman, but I am not a track guy so that is not a huge loss for me.

Overall very happy with the change
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #553
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Nice as far as pictures my phone does same thing can only download photos I've myself down loaded or received otherwise says file too big. When I try and resize mine says format incorrect then.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #554
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Make sure you drive the F Type and Stingray back to back if you can. I really like the F Type but the Corvette is just a little more visceral and a little more brutal. The Jaguar has a slightly nicer interior.

I think if I upgrade from the Corvette it would be to a Ferrari California/Portofino.
Appreciate 0