Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 330i HUD shift lights

07-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
fdkn
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i M-Sport RWD

G20 330i HUD shift lights

Hello everyone,

I've tried searching for this around the forums but I haven't found anyone discussing this particular issue. If I missed it I apologize and would love it if someone can point me in the right direction

Anyway, I took delivery of my G20 330i a couple of weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving every aspect of the car.

One thing however that I'm confused about is with regards to the shift lights in the HUD.

Now, for a bit of backstory: I ordered the car before any test-drive-able version was available in my country, however about 1 month afterwards the dealer got a 330i in (pretty low spec, Sport Line not M-Sport, PDC-only, 18", but it had the more cutting-edge stuff like gesture control, HUD, etc.) and he invited me to do a test-drive.

I went in for that and had a total blast. I found the car to be super fun even if it didn't have Sport+ or many of the options that I personally had ordered on mine. At one point during the test-drive I discovered the Shift Lights option and played around with it (but honestly I can't remember what I set and in what menu) and I discovered that there's actually 2 versions of the shift light in the HUD:
- Standard version, activated when going into Sport/Sport+ which is displayed as an orientated line with 8-9 white rectangles, one yellow rectangle and one red rectangle. It's also moderately sized and has white lines that "hash" the area up until your current revs;
- Some fancier F1-style (using this term very loosely) version, which I can't remember how I activated, that was displayed as a way larger graphical element (taking up most of the HUD, as you'd expect you'd need on the track) with white rectangles coming from both left and right towards the center area where the yellow and red rectangles reside;

Now my issue is that for the life of me I can't find how to activate this second version in my car. I tried going through all the menus, all the settings, Sport, Sport+, Sport+ with the stick in M/S, DSC off, nothing.

For a short time I thought I maybe dreamed that up or something, but I recently went through the user manual and the settings in the car again and realized that the graphical design shown in both for shift lights is actually the second option, not the first (which is the only one I managed to activate)!

Anyone got any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited by fdkn; 07-24-2019 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Not sure what you you are referring to but when you activate the sport display in HUD knock shift lever to D/S and start manual shifting the dashes will move towards the center and flash once the revs get really high indicating "you better shift now!"
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
fdkn14.50
      07-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
fdkn
Rep

That sounds like what I'm interested in. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if that's it.

I'm still in my break-in period so I haven't really been driving in D/S that much. More just Sport+ with the stick in D and manually shifting once in a while for fun.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
RPM1123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

I can only get a single HUD tach style (the white rectanges) on my G20.

Interested to hear how to activate the second version if possible. I don't see any indications it exists in the HUD settings. Moving gear selector into sport and manual shifting doesn't change the HUD either.

Last edited by RPM1123; 07-22-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdkn View Post
That sounds like what I'm interested in. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if that's it.

I'm still in my break-in period so I haven't really been driving in D/S that much. More just Sport+ with the stick in D and manually shifting once in a while for fun.
What I did was held it in 2nd (M2) while in sport mode till it yelled at me, seems like it won't activate till you're in the red ... the HUD looked like:

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Yellow"]--[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]--[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]-[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]-[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]--[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]--[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by CyclingBroStyle; 07-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Got creative
Appreciate 1
fdkn14.50
      07-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
fdkn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123 View Post
I can only get a single HUD tach style (the white rectanges) on my G20.

Interested to hear how to activate the second version if possible. I don't see any indications it exists in the HUD settings. Moving gear selector into sport and manual shifting doesn't change the HUD either.
I also tried manual shifting while in M/S and no luck, nothing changed in the HUDs UI.

I figured out where I can get proper pictures of what I'm expecting to see, so I'll post those as soon as I get home from work in a couple of hours. Maybe they will help clarify my absolutely poor description in the OP
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
fdkn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
What I did was held it in 2nd (M2) while in sport mode till it yelled at me, seems like it won't activate till you're in the red ... the HUD looked like:

----- -----
Sounds like that might be it. Most likely reason why I haven't seen it is because I was told that during the break-in period I should keep it under 4500rpm, so no way I would've gotten that high up. Only got 500km to go until that's done though, so will be able to test this soon.

Also, disregarding the wall of text description in my OP, here's the best explanation of what I'm asking
What I see in the HUD:
Name:  actually_see.PNG
Views: 4175
Size:  213.5 KB
What I'm expecting to see in the HUD:
Name:  expecting_to_see.PNG
Views: 5813
Size:  432.4 KB

Last edited by fdkn; 07-23-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdkn View Post
Hello everyone,

I've tried searching for this around the forums but I haven't found anyone discussing this particular issue. If I missed it I apologize and would love it if someone can point me in the right direction
Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fdkn14.50
      07-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #9
fdkn
Rep

Oh snap CyclingBroStyle, that's it!

Okay, so those lines appear when you're in the high range of revs basically, close to the shift point.

I assume they appear then to sort of catch your attention that it's time to shift, but also to offer a "fine tuning" of when you shift since it looks like it's pretty granular in how many rpm each segment corresponds to.

In any case that's fantastic, thank you so much CyclingBroStyle!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 07:05 AM   #10
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Funny thing is I discovered this by accident 3 weeks ago. Haha. At any rate you're welcome; happy to assist!
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
OldOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Interesting. I actually AutoX'ed my car yesterday, using different combinations of Sport, Sport+ with D and M/S modes and I've never once seen this shift light bar come up. Either I was never shifting close enough to the redline for it to come up or I wasn't paying enough attention to the HUD, watching the cones and all

I don't know why BMW had to reinvent the wheel here, the HUD tach with gear number indicator in the F80 M3 worked great, with excellent visibility and readability.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #12
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

There's been discussions on German forums that the HUD display might be different depending on whether you have the full digital gauge cluster or not (cause then the head-unit is also different and that's the part generating the graphics I guess, the HUD is just displaying it).

In other words, people without a full digital cockpit weren't able to see the tach (or maybe they just didn't rev high enough).
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 04:49 AM   #13
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Since the general advice is not to go to high revs during break in I can also imagine not many people have seen it.

Also, I'm wondering how many people actually choose to have the "old" semi digital instruments.
      08-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #14
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Since the general advice is not to go to high revs during break in I can also imagine not many people have seen it.

Also, I'm wondering how many people actually choose to have the "old" semi digital instruments.
and break in is what, 1000 km?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #15
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post

and break in is what, 1000 km?
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html

Quote:
The right way to break in a new car

Many drivers wonder whether breaking in a new car is still necessary or if this practice has been superseded with the advances in technology. The answer? Yes and no...

Doing an engine break-in used to be a standard procedure with new cars. And it's still the case that you should avoid running the engine at high RPM for the first 1,300 miles. Experts recommend a maximum 3,500 rpm and 90 mph in diesel models and 4,500 rpm and 100 mph in gas models. This will give the engine and transmission sufficient time to adjust to each other. Once you've reached the 1,300-mile mark, you can gradually increase your speed and your engine's RPM. In particular, avoid to put too much strain on a cold engine. However, that's true not just when breaking in a new car but for the whole life cycle of your car. Likewise, never turn off an engine that has been running hard. Allow it to cool down by driving a few miles at a gentle pace.
      08-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #16
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
In other words, people without a full digital cockpit weren't able to see the tach (or maybe they just didn't rev high enough).
Correct, only the people on ID7 (which comes with the Live Cockpit) will show the tachometer on the HUD (if equipped.)

ID6 doesn't support it for non-M cars from the factory, as the M cars have a M specific Kombi (instrument cluster) that processes it for the rev counter and gear graphics.
Appreciate 0