Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Rubber comparisons

11-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

What does everyone think of the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted as standard? For normal daily drives including freeways, bad highways, suburban doddling do you think they are great/good/bad/terrible??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Turanzas are terrible in my experience. I'm not sure why they get fitted to so many cars as OEM.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      11-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
What does everyone think of the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted as standard? For normal daily drives including freeways, bad highways, suburban doddling do you think they are great/good/bad/terrible??
Mine came with Pirelli P zero from the factory. They are pretty good. Wet weather grip is not as good as some Michelins I've had before in previous cars. I also think the Pirelli wears faster. One good thing with Bridgestone runflats is that they can be repaired when punctured. Pirellis are unrepairable and require a completely new tyre.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Mine came with Pirelli P zero from the factory. They are pretty good. Wet weather grip is not as good as some Michelins I've had before in previous cars. I also think the Pirelli wears faster. One good thing with Bridgestone runflats is that they can be repaired when punctured. Pirellis are unrepairable and require a completely new tyre.
Yeah same fitted to mine, I'd have to agree
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Pirelli RFT is unrepairable? Where did you get that from? So, not true. First hand experience right here.
      11-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
They're not a bad tyre but I got a puncture in the first week of having the car and had to wait 7 days for a replacement tyre to come over form Germany, I should have gone for the more popular Michelin's

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hm ok. The last lot I had were again Bridgestone (but potenza) and found the ride noisy - but confounded by the fact it was a diff car and possibly less insulated. Managed to get 50000km out of them tho - wonder how that compares
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Pirelli RFT is unrepairable? Where did you get that from? So, not true. First hand experience right here.
I've had a long discussion about RFTs with the manager of a major tyre chain here in Australia (Bob Jane). It's what the tyre manufacturers recommend and they have to follow the rules accordingly to avoid legal liabilities. I'm sure RFTs can be safely repaired if not driven for long distance (or at all) whilst deflated, but here in downunderland, it's a bit of a nanny state when it comes to these things.

It may be possible to find some smaller tyre places that will repair them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hm ok. The last lot I had were again Bridgestone (but potenza) and found the ride noisy - but confounded by the fact it was a diff car and possibly less insulated. Managed to get 50000km out of them tho - wonder how that compares
Just had some Michelin PS4S' put on another car (non runflats) and they are highly recommended independently. In fact, they are standard fitment to m340i here in Australia and the cars are shipped with a tyre repair kit instead.

I'm thinking about changing to these Michelins when the OEM Pirellis are due to be changed and carry a tyre repair/inflation kit.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've had a long discussion about RFTs with the manager of a major tyre chain here in Australia (Bob Jane). It's what the tyre manufacturers recommend and they have to follow the rules accordingly to avoid legal liabilities. I'm sure RFTs can be safely repaired if not driven for long distance (or at all) whilst deflated, but here in downunderland, it's a bit of a nanny state when it comes to these things.

It's simply Pirelli doesn't recommend repair. Not that Pirelli tires are unrepairable. And the rationale Pirelli uses really should apply to all brands. If you drive on a run flat with zero pressure or near zero pressure for more than a few miles and at speeds even close to 50mph (80kph) you should consider replacement. The tire casing is put under extreme stress when driven on with zero pressure. Every tire manufacturer who permits a repair also claims the tire shop must inspect the tire before approving a repair. I, for one, wouldn't ever leave it to a tire shop to determine my safety.

Any run flat that has been driven on in a similar manner you'd drive on a go flat prior to repair (that means never let it go close to zero pressure and get it fixed quickly) is safe to repair. Of course in cases where the puncture is in a bad spot, near the shoulder, etc. Or if sidewall/casing is affected, it should be replaced. All brands!

And trust me the USA is plenty nanny too! The threat of frivolous lawsuits would scare many tire shops here to refuse repair, even of a brand that endorses a repair after inspection. Shops don't want the inspection liability, so they often just say no.
      11-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's simply Pirelli doesn't recommend repair. Not that Pirelli tires are unrepairable. And the rationale Pirelli uses really should apply to all brands. If you drive on a run flat with zero pressure or near zero pressure for more than a few miles and at speeds even close to 50mph (80kph) you should consider replacement. The tire casing is put under extreme stress when driven on with zero pressure. Every tire manufacturer who permits a repair also claims the tire shop must inspect the tire before approving a repair. I, for one, wouldn't ever leave it to a tire shop to determine my safety.

Any run flat that has been driven on in a similar manner you'd drive on a go flat prior to repair (that means never let it go close to zero pressure and get it fixed quickly) is safe to repair. Of course in cases where the puncture is in a bad spot, near the shoulder, etc. Or if sidewall/casing is affected, it should be replaced. All brands!

And trust me the USA is plenty nanny too! The threat of frivolous lawsuits would scare many tire shops here to refuse repair, even of a brand that endorses a repair after inspection. Shops don't want the inspection liability, so they often just say no.
It's moot whether it is "unrepairable" or "repair not recommended". The fact remains that any reputable tyre shops won't repair Pirelli RFTs whether or not it's been driven with zero pressure. It's simply more profitable for the tyre manufacturer and the tyre shop to simply mandate a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's moot whether it is "unrepairable" or "repair not recommended". The fact remains that any reputable tyre shops won't repair Pirelli RFTs whether or not it's been driven with zero pressure. It's simply more profitable for the tyre manufacturer and the tyre shop to simply mandate a replacement.
Two separate issues.

1. Will a reputable shop repair a Pirelli RFT. Or many other brands since it seems systemic that tire shops like to say no to repairing RFTs in general.

2. Whether the lack of offering repairs is less due to safety and more to do with tire oems and shops looking to sell new. What a way to unnecessarily fill landfills with petroleum products.
      11-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #13
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Two separate issues.

1. Will a reputable shop repair a Pirelli RFT. Or many other brands since it seems systemic that tire shops like to say no to repairing RFTs in general.

2. Whether the lack of offering repairs is less due to safety and more to do with tire oems and shops looking to sell new. What a way to unnecessarily fill landfills with petroleum products.
I agree with you entirely. But all I'm saying, at the end of the day, if they refuse to repair the punctured tyre... then as a customer we have no choice but to buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #14
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
No SUV4Me, so good you do these posts !!

I have just been researching tyres now.

So the conclusion I came too like a lot of people is that Michelin Pilot Sport 4's non run flats are the way to go.

Now not sure if that's because they grip better or they have longer life,but a lot of reviews even for non BMW cars rate them highly.

So the question I have for the forum now is .

Has anybody that has a new 330i G20 delivered from January, what brand of tyres did they get ?

It seems a mish mash of

1. Bridgestones run flats
2. Pirelli P Zero run flats
3. Goodyear Eagle F1 run flats

My last question is , would you also have to buy some kind of boot storage thing to house the spare tyre from BMW?
i think they call it a High Performance Non RFT with Space-Saver Spare Option: according to the USA review

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/08/b...king-delivery/

And I think if you did what size spare tyre could you fit?
I read somewhere 17 inches only?

Continental 135/80 17R

So many questions!!

Then again I was thinking , is it all worth it to replace the tyres with non run flats.

Disadvantages would be :-

1. Increased weight due to the
a) Jack
b) Spare Tyre

2. Increased cost due to the above and you would need to purchase
the High Performance Non RFT with Space-Saver Spare

3. Reduced boot space

Advantages would be

1. Increased road feel and handling
2. Tyres not so expensive and possibly more repairable?

So it seems from a run flat perspective, all the reviews I have read, don't rate Pirelli and Bridgestone too well, has anybody had any experience with the Goodyears ?

Seeing as the BMW 340ix comes standard with Michelin Run flats and have exactly the same wheel specs, I think we can assume that is BMW'd defacto choice as this is their top of the range excluding M3 version.

Anybody know whats default on the M2 and M3?

Thanks All
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #15
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

My January 2020 delivery 330i has Pirelli P Zero run flats
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #16
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Ah thanks Bmwphile

How have they been and have you thought of changing to non run flats once they wear out or too much hassle?

Mine is only coming end of May so it's nice to know what tyres I would possibly be getting.

All these brands of tyres are already so expensive, so might as well get the best

I like the fact that the speed index is Y which is speeds up to 300km/h hahhaah, and that this is the highest speed rated tyre , this rating is even for Ferrari and Lambos !!
And also the P Zero's in 20 inch are also fitted to these cars , albeit with a bit lower profile so that's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Ah thanks Bmwphile

How have they been and have you thought of changing to non run flats once they wear out or too much hassle?

Mine is only coming end of May so it's nice to know what tyres I would possibly be getting.

All these brands of tyres are already so expensive, so might as well get the best

I like the fact that the speed index is Y which is speeds up to 300km/h hahhaah, and that this is the highest speed rated tyre , this rating is even for Ferrari and Lambos !!
And also the P Zero's in 20 inch are also fitted to these cars , albeit with a bit lower profile so that's amazing.
Waaa wat r u doing rocketing around at 300km/h firetitan
Also lower profile, crunchier ride
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
HAhahah yes , I was watching the Autogehful german review and i think the guy hit 260?, amazing.

I will only be doing 26km/h to Westfields haahaha.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
He has to get to Westfield in a hurry in a vain attempt to get some bog roll! The greater the need, the greater the speed!
      04-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitan View Post
Quote:
No SUV4Me, so good you do these posts !!

I have just been researching tyres now.

So the conclusion I came too like a lot of people is that Michelin Pilot Sport 4's non run flats are the way to go.

Now not sure if that's because they grip better or they have longer life,but a lot of reviews even for non BMW cars rate them highly.

So the question I have for the forum now is .

Has anybody that has a new 330i G20 delivered from January, what brand of tyres did they get ?

It seems a mish mash of

1. Bridgestones run flats
2. Pirelli P Zero run flats
3. Goodyear Eagle F1 run flats

My last question is , would you also have to buy some kind of boot storage thing to house the spare tyre from BMW?
i think they call it a High Performance Non RFT with Space-Saver Spare Option: according to the USA review

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/08/b...king-delivery/

And I think if you did what size spare tyre could you fit?
I read somewhere 17 inches only?

Continental 135/80 17R

So many questions!!

Then again I was thinking , is it all worth it to replace the tyres with non run flats.

Disadvantages would be :-

1. Increased weight due to the
a) Jack
b) Spare Tyre

2. Increased cost due to the above and you would need to purchase
the High Performance Non RFT with Space-Saver Spare

3. Reduced boot space

Advantages would be

1. Increased road feel and handling
2. Tyres not so expensive and possibly more repairable?

So it seems from a run flat perspective, all the reviews I have read, don't rate Pirelli and Bridgestone too well, has anybody had any experience with the Goodyears ?

Seeing as the BMW 340ix comes standard with Michelin Run flats and have exactly the same wheel specs, I think we can assume that is BMW'd defacto choice as this is their top of the range excluding M3 version.

Anybody know whats default on the M2 and M3?

Thanks All
My 330i came out the factory with Turanza's too, and whilst they are 'OK' I'm not a massive fan to be honest....
I switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 2 on my old 435d, and really liked them, much preferred over the Potenza S001 they replaced...
More comfortable, good wet/dry grip and less road noise.
I'll be looking to switch to GY on my G20 if I stay with the RFT which I likely will...

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippsy81 View Post
My 330i came out the factory with Turanza's too, and whilst they are 'OK' I'm not a massive fan to be honest....
I switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 2 on my old 435d, and really liked them, much preferred over the Potenza S001 they replaced...
More comfortable, good wet/dry grip and less road noise.
I'll be looking to switch to GY on my G20 if I stay with the RFT which I likely will...
Ah thanks Phippsy81, that's good to know
At least now I have some context for the selection of my next tyres

Last edited by firetitanx; 04-16-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #22
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
He has to get to Westfield in a hurry in a vain attempt to get some bog roll! The greater the need, the greater the speed!
Mate, whoever started the bog roll shortage should be bog washed repeatedly.

Both our Coles shelves are still empty unless you queue up at 6:15am on Saturday morning hahahha, have to get a hose soon...haahhaha

How is your Orange Baby

I am sure you are enjoying your home isolation...wink wink nudge nudge....
How do your Michelins feel, early days though , noise/comfort/handling
Appreciate 0