Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Rearview camera retrofit?

12-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

G20 Rearview camera retrofit?

Just got my G20 330e M Sport. This was a "almost new" used import car less than 1000 km and a nice set of equipment, but I was a bit disappointed that there is no rear view camera, just PDC that is not really different than the one I had on my previous 10 year old E90 M3. It seems that some markets (US?) have all G20 series cars equipped with camera even when there is just plain PDC in the car, but not in the Nordic countries it seems as I'm in Finland and the car was just imported from Sweden.

So long story short; does anyone have info/experience/ideas if one can install the OEM rear view parking camera to a G20 with PDC? Local BMW site does not list retrofit OEM camera that can be installed to F30 (BMW product code 66212361833) as compatible with G20 nor does that site list any retrofit cameras for G20.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
Just got my G20 330e M Sport. This was a "almost new" used import car less than 1000 km and a nice set of equipment, but I was a bit disappointed that there is no rear view camera, just PDC that is not really different than the one I had on my previous 10 year old E90 M3. It seems that some markets (US?) have all G20 series cars equipped with camera even when there is just plain PDC in the car, but not in the Nordic countries it seems as I'm in Finland and the car was just imported from Sweden.

So long story short; does anyone have info/experience/ideas if one can install the OEM rear view parking camera to a G20 with PDC? Local BMW site does not list retrofit OEM camera that can be installed to F30 (BMW product code 66212361833) as compatible with G20 nor does that site list any retrofit cameras for G20.
I was under the impression all g20s had a back up camera as standard? First I've heard if it not being the case
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
I was under the impression all g20s had a back up camera as standard? First I've heard if it not being the case
That's what I heard too, thus my surprise/disappointment. But I have not found physical camera module in the car (nothing in the handle strip in boot lid where it should be according to the picture in the manual) nor have been able to activate it in the iDrive; manual says "Tilt controller to side to activate camera" from PDC view, but nothing happens when that is done. So it looks like BMW cheaped out in certain markets; every basic level rental car I've driven in recent years have had one.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

In America, it is a law. Cars should have read view cameras, whether they have parking sensors or not. That is why every new car in America comes with rear view cameras as standard.
When you told the controller to the left in PDC mode, is there an option saying reverse camera? That's what you have to click to activate it. If reverse camera is present. If it isn't, that option won't be present.
Retrofits are possible but I'm sure an original retrofit will end up being a bit expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
In America, it is a law. Cars should have read view cameras, whether they have parking sensors or not. That is why every new car in America comes with rear view cameras as standard.
When you told the controller to the left in PDC mode, is there an option saying reverse camera? That's what you have to click to activate it. If reverse camera is present. If it isn't, that option won't be present.
Retrofits are possible but I'm sure an original retrofit will end up being a bit expensive.
I like this part of American law.

There's no option to activate it in my car and given that the camera module is not where it physically should be I think this matter is settled; the car does not have it. Funny thing is that over here one cannot even spec a made-to-order car to have "PDC+camera" the only options are
- plain PDC
- Parking Assistant, this includes much stuff more than cameras
- Parking Assistant Plus (360 degree cameras etc.)

Had I bought a new car to my own spec I sure would have taken the Parking Assistant Plus, but the deal I got in this car was too tempting; decent price, quick delivery and lots of extras (Stop&Go, Laserlights, Comfort Access, Driving Assistant, HUD, Dravit Grey individual color, electronically adjustable seat with lumbar support...) but no advanced parking stuff and I'm pretty terrible at parking

There are plenty of models that you can buy OEM retrofit camera (not cheap, but somewhat tolerable 400-600 Eur) and for example with F30 andf G30 you need to have PDC onboard in order to install the camera, but no such option seems to be offered for G20 or any other iDrive 7 / Live cockpit equipped car Maybe local official BMW shop has some ideas though I'm not holding my breath; they had subzero clue when my E90 M3 first broke a throttle actuator; I had to tell them what parts to change.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #6
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

I speced mine but erroneously I did not add the parking assistant, so in the future I would also be interested in a retrofit package. I am sure it will come at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:51 AM   #7
tn1krr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
I speced mine but erroneously I did not add the parking assistant, so in the future I would also be interested in a retrofit package. I am sure it will come at some point.
At the moment the situation does not look good. Talked to local official BMW shop/reseller and they said "no". Same applies to aftermarket stuff; there seems to be zero aftermarket solutions that can plug into any car with iDrive 7.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Conica
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 G20

320d G20 rearview cam

I have just received my new bmw 320d with pdc and I am looking for upgrading with rearview parking camera.

I have found this, not sure if I should go for it ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049421700.html
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conica View Post
I have just received my new bmw 320d with pdc and I am looking for upgrading with rearview parking camera.

I have found this, not sure if I should go for it ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049421700.html
Does that come with the camera itself? It's not in any of the pictures.
      07-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Going through the G05 (X5) technical document, cos I cannot find any G20 ones (Anyone?), I can see that the single RFK (6) is connected directly to the Body Domain Controller (4) via Ethernet.
I also understand that all of our cars come already with the BDC, therefore wouldn't a retrofit just involve, pulling a 2wire Ethernet wire from the back of the car to the side BDC and then re-coding the Idrive?

Anyone with any knowledge in this things would be great assistance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Hi all.

There hasn't been much activity in this topic for a long time.
Has someone successfully retrofited the rearview camera since then?
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
dinocorse
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 316D White

hello, any updates on this? same situation occurred to me, ordered the car with the PDC function rear and front hoping that the camera was there but it isn't!! big lack in my view and for few euros...
I was not interested to the park assistant or to the park assistant plus because they were extrabudget
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 02:03 AM   #13
vsterian
Rep
Drives: BMW 320xd G20

Hi guys!

I had the same frustration almost half a year ago when I picked up my first BMW, which is my current G20. When I ordered I did not even imagined that a producer like BMW does not have rear-view camera as standard option ( for reference, I live in Romania and our local car is Dacia ~12K€ and this has camera fitted).

After a while I contacted a specialized BMW retrofit service. They made me an "offer" of 1200€ to retrofit a rear-view camera. Obviously, I refused them because it does not seem right to ask 750€ for a 15€ camera…

What I can say to you is that after half a year and almost 20K km I am more than pleased with the PDC only and my car does not have any scratch on it.

So, in my opinion if you know that you are not that experienced in parking, maybe you can make this investment, otherwise I don't see any reason.

Thanks
Vlad
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #14
fanaticbmw
Romania
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport Line

Today put oem rear camera on G20 .Return with conclusion.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      06-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #15
fanaticbmw
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Hi all.

There hasn't been much activity in this topic for a long time.
Has someone successfully retrofited the rearview camera since then?
Hello,
Its possible .I make today .
Retrofit camera compet 450 euro + work
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50
      06-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #16
fanaticbmw
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsterian View Post
Hi guys!

I had the same frustration almost half a year ago when I picked up my first BMW, which is my current G20. When I ordered I did not even imagined that a producer like BMW does not have rear-view camera as standard option ( for reference, I live in Romania and our local car is Dacia ~12K€ and this has camera fitted).

After a while I contacted a specialized BMW retrofit service. They made me an "offer" of 1200€ to retrofit a rear-view camera. Obviously, I refused them because it does not seem right to ask 750€ for a 15€ camera…

What I can say to you is that after half a year and almost 20K km I am more than pleased with the PDC only and my car does not have any scratch on it.

So, in my opinion if you know that you are not that experienced in parking, maybe you can make this investment, otherwise I don't see any reason.

Thanks
Vlad
Hello,
For retrofit original camera in G20 ,in Pitesti call +40737014328
Appreciate 0