Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 3 Series Facelift

06-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #155
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

This is veering off into a very divisive topic. I for one absolutely agree with the whole "live within your means" principle and don't abuse financing options, etc. But I don't understand why would anyone want to throw a relatively large amount of money you saved for a few years, in one go, at a depreciating asset. I'd much rather pay for that depreciation in instalments. Interest rates can obviously make it look like a bad deal, and I guess this what a lot of people ignore.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:20 AM   #156
Nodrog29
Lover of fast estate cars
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI M340i (due Sept 22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmots View Post
The LCI cars are on a completely different deal, bmw won’t be able to offer the better finance rate whoever you complain to.

Best thing you can do is negotiate a good discount through your dealer, what currently have you managed?
It's just under £7k + VAT which is still a good discount in today's market although my pre LCI discount was just under £8k. The dealer said they would honour the APR rate but then BMW finance refused to budge. Except for people who had build slots already allocated who would get the rate honoured. I had a deposit down in February but no build slot allocated.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:07 AM   #157
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Well the simple point there is that you don't need to pay that sort of money to get a car. You might not get the car you hanker after, but that's life.

I was always taught to live within my means, so I am adverse to borrowing. Life's about choices and compromises. We're all different, and of course it is each to their own. Many are happy to stretch themselves financially to have a nice, new car on their drive.
I completely understand that, however most people can't afford a car without PCP or a house without a mortgage and if it weren't for them car companies would quickly go bust!

I get the increase in car prices (even though BMW had their most profitable year ever last year) but an increase in PCP rates as well just seems a bit too far!

However, my wife works for BMW so keep buying...
      06-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #158
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Problem is as well that car prices as with everything are getting so high if you saved for a new m340 for example at 500 a month its 7 odd year...by which time it (or what ever replaces it) will be even more expensive!
Yes that goes back to you don't have to drop 54k on a car at all to have a nice car but you get my point.

Anyway horses for courses hope the OP gets something sorted as looking at the new c43 for example (which is even more comical in list price )6pot cars are a dying breed as we know.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:52 AM   #159
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's looking like the "spec lottery" is going to continue for a while still, even on the LCI update. I noticed the HUD is gone from the Tech Pack (or as an individual option), even on the M340s. It makes the Tech Pack look a bit ridiculous, you're only getting HK basically for £1900, wireless charging (if you're lucky), and Live Cockpit Professional?! This is basically the widescreen which is standard across the range anyway.

Extended Storage is also now gone from the Comfort Pack (which keeps its price), and included as standard (on the M340s at least), but I noticed it has less things in it compared to pre-LCI.

I'm pretty sure both things were included before in their respective packs as I used to check the configurator quite regularly when the LCI was launched, with my order still being in limbo at the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #160
Burforce
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 LCi incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
I noticed the HUD is gone from the Tech Pack (or as an individual option), even on the M340s. It makes the Tech Pack look a bit ridiculous, you're only getting HK basically for £1900
Anyone know what happens if this is still the case when slots become available and our orders go in? Do we get to amend beforehand with the dealer, as the HUD was the only reason I went for the tech pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #161
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willh View Post
Anyone know what happens if this is still the case when slots become available and our orders go in? Do we get to amend beforehand with the dealer, as the HUD was the only reason I went for the tech pack.
You can amend the order anytime before it gets locked in for build. You would get a slot well before that though. See status codes here. These are the U.S. ones but they resemble very closely the UK ones

Last edited by N44RTT; 07-05-2022 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 05:10 AM   #162
SleepinDug
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A7

Quote:
It's looking like the "spec lottery" is going to continue for a while still, even on the LCI update. I noticed the HUD is gone from the Tech Pack (or as an individual option), even on the M340s. It makes the Tech Pack look a bit ridiculous, you're only getting HK basically for £1900, wireless charging (if you're lucky), and Live Cockpit Professional?! This is basically the widescreen which is standard across the range anyway.

Extended Storage is also now gone from the Comfort Pack (which keeps its price), and included as standard (on the M340s at least), but I noticed it has less things in it compared to pre-LCI.

I'm pretty sure both things were included before in their respective packs as I used to check the configurator quite regularly when the LCI was launched, with my order still being in limbo at the time.

Is it definitely the case that the HUD is not orderable at the moment as part of the Tech Pack? My local dealer seems to think it is but I’m very sceptical.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 05:36 AM   #163
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepinDug View Post
Is it definitely the case that the HUD is not orderable at the moment as part of the Tech Pack? My local dealer seems to think it is but I’m very sceptical.
I was just going by what the UK configurator shows, which can also be confusing at times. For example, even now, although the HUD is not listed in the Tech Pack, the pack thumbnail shows the HUD.
There is obviously a reason why it was there a few weeks ago and now it isn't. I don't think anyone will be able to tell for certain. Until the car is on the assembly line and the VIN confirms the equipment it was built with, you just won't be 100% sure. It has been proven over and over again over the last few months, my order included.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #164
SleepinDug
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I was just going by what the UK configurator shows, which can also be confusing at times. For example, even now, although the HUD is not listed in the Tech Pack, the pack thumbnail shows the HUD.
There is obviously a reason why it was there a few weeks ago and now it isn't. I don't think anyone will be able to tell for certain. Until the car is on the assembly line and the VIN confirms the equipment it was built with, you just won't be 100% sure. It has been proven over and over again over the last few months, my order included.
Ok thanks. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:00 AM   #165
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

Quote:
If you look at the Tech Pack on the configurator it says it comprises of ‘live cockpit professional with head up display’ and on the interior 360 degree view you can see on the dashboard where it’s been added.

I’d say it will definitely be part of that pack, they’ve just not worded it too well.
Appreciate 1
N44RTT77.50
      07-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #166
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you look at the Tech Pack on the configurator it says it comprises of ‘live cockpit professional with head up display’ and on the interior 360 degree view you can see on the dashboard where it’s been added.

I’d say it will definitely be part of that pack, they’ve just not worded it too well.
It's definitely not worded very well and it wouldn't make me any more comfortable about it. If you read the description of the Live Cockpit Professional within the pack it then says:

"When navigation is active, a roadbook with all the required instructions is displayed (alternatively, displayed on the Head-Up Display, where fitted)."

So what dictates if it's fitted or not? It's not there as a standalone option anymore and it's clearly not a given with Live Cockpit Professional.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #167
SleepinDug
Registered
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely not worded very well and it wouldn't make me any more comfortable about it. If you read the description of the Live Cockpit Professional within the pack it then says:

"When navigation is active, a roadbook with all the required instructions is displayed (alternatively, displayed on the Head-Up Display, where fitted)."

So what dictates if it's fitted or not? It's not there as a standalone option anymore and it's clearly not a given with Live Cockpit Professional.
That’s my point really, even the dealers are unclear, at least mine says if things are removed from my spec I can cancel and get deposit back….
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #168
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The online brochure is pretty clear. HUD is included in Tech pack.

The brochure has also clearly been updated for the LCI as all the images show the LCI.

https://brochures.bmw.co.uk/3-series...M340i-Packages
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #169
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I agree that’s the confusing bit.. but by adding the tech pack does add the HUD on the dashboard so I’d be inclined to believe it’s included.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #170
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

LCI car looking pretty nice in Skyscraper Grey here..

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...cation=at_cars
Appreciate 1
dpazz26.50
      07-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #171
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Maybe it is just me, but that fake rear diffuser makes the rear look pretty awful, as do the vertical red reflectors. Maybe it will look OK in the flesh.

What to me does look a lot better is the speedo and rev counter in picture 27, as the pre-lci aren't that easy to read.
      07-20-2022, 01:25 AM   #172
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Still don't like iDrive 8 !
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 04:32 AM   #173
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it is just me, but that fake rear diffuser makes the rear look pretty awful, as do the vertical red reflectors. Maybe it will look OK in the flesh.

What to me does look a lot better is the speedo and rev counter in picture 27, as the pre-lci aren't that easy to read.
I think the diffuser works better on the touring as there’s more bulk at the back end.. on the saloon it looks to cover too much of the back end.

The interior with the carbon trim really works, the new standard trim is pretty poor.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 06:54 AM   #174
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
They're still awful though! IMO round dials with needles that go round clockwise work far better - BMW would do well to go back and look at some of their previous generation models to see what a clear instrument display should look like.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #175
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
They're still awful though! IMO round dials with needles that go round clockwise work far better - BMW would do well to go back and look at some of their previous generation models to see what a clear instrument display should look like.
Totally agree with you there, my first BMW an E21 316 had a wonderful dashboard layout and the 'curved towards the driver' central dash facia and the red illumination at night it was a classic masterpiece!
Nowadays it's all TFT screens and the like and a lot of makes much of the same and bloody stupid 'half hexagon' speedo and rev counter the latter working 'backwards'....crap! So pleased I've got HUD so I don't have to spend much time at all looking at the dashboard!
Even in it's 'modern' format at least ID 7 still looks better than ID 8 and one of the main reasons I'm changing my car much sooner than originally intended.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #176
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Great find Philmots! Same colour and the spec in general is very close to my G21 order.

Looks like we can confirm now that the HUD is available and in the Tech Pack.

Starting to wish I'd selected the Carbon trim for the interior but just couldnt justify £500 on it.
Appreciate 0