Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK A big mistake?

01-28-2021, 12:47 PM   #45
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman15 View Post
I remember the good old days when we used to discuss V max, 0-60 times and how quick we could get to meetings through twisties. Now, thanks to fuel costs, speed cams and sneaky cops hiding in vans, discussion has moved to MPG and eco modes.

I see that in 2022, auto speed limiters will be mandatory in new cars to further curtail our fun.

Don't get me wrong, EV range is an interesting topic but I am still burning fossil fuels without electric assistance.

Back on topic, I also have appalling tyre wear (Turanza RFT are horrid things) and OTA updates/BMW app are useless - I just checked the app for my mileage and it still shows the car 150 miles away at my last site meeting

Everything else about the car is great but I can't comment on electric side of things.

When you get behind the wheel Willougs, you will love it. And I totally agree about the EU conversation.
I know what you mean, it must be a sign of getting older. Or you just can’t drive fast anywhere. The 330e is a beast when it wants to be, 0-60 in 6s is fantastic for a heavy barge, but it’s too quick for today’s roads and traffic. It’s very very easy to get to license losing speed. And I’m at that’s stage in life where the license is more important at than anything to me!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #46
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I’ve done just over 2.650 miles and filled up 3 times so far! I’m loving my 330e, no real issues so far except a software fault that stopped electric mode working but that fixed itself by turning the car off and on again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 12:07 AM   #47
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e m sport

Looking forward to my 2nd dive into the hybrid market, little disappointed there are no great improvements in mileage but the 22 should take care of my commute
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:10 AM   #48
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Well there is just have to wait for warmer temps!! See there is good news out there lol
      01-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #49
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Recently bit the bullet and ordered (personal, not lease/company car) a brand new 330e. Then joined this forum and now wondering whether I've made a big mistake! I thought these were supposed to be at the higher end of build quaity, but so far:
  • battery weld issues forcing a recall
  • bass drop issues with the HK amp
  • appauling tyre wear on the rear tyres
  • windscreens that are easily scratched by the wipers
  • hit and miss Gesture Control
  • considerably worse than advertised all-electric range
  • faulty ECUs
  • gearbox oil leaks
  • excessive battery drain while unused
  • unreliable OTA updates
  • overheating wireless charging pad
  • condensation behind windscreen affecting front camera
  • ... probably a load of other things that I've forgotten

...none of which seem to be isolated cases.

(trying to move conversation away from the EU!)
I've had an M340i for just over a year and 18000km and have had none of the (non 330e) issues. I also purchased mine outright...and it definitely hadn't proven to be a mistake
Dealer has upgraded software twice since new and everything is now perfect. The upgrades fixed a few bugs with Connected Drive Remote services and introduced Android Auto. The HK audio is great and far better than the HK in my old 2017 F30 340i. It likes quality input; FLAC is much better than MP3. And highly compressed streaming will always be compromised. It took a while to get the Equaliser settings right for me though.
I have had zero mechanical problems, no rattling sunroof and no condensation in headlights. And after 18000km fuel consumption has averaged 8.4l per 100km...not bad for 6 cylinders and 285kw.
Good luck..I hope you enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 2
willougs265.00
      02-01-2021, 05:02 AM   #50
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
Willougs,

Having come from a 2018 Audi S3 I can touch on a few of your points...

The HK sound system is pretty crap compared to what else is out there. I had B&O on my Audi and it was fantastic, the HK is fine, but its by no means premium compared to the bowers & wilkins in volvo, the bermiester in porche & Merc & the B&O in audi. I Have the meridian in the RangeRover & thats not great, but slightly more depth than the HK. Having had all of these marques I can definitely say the HK is by far the worst system out there.

It works fine, but clarity could be better.

Build quality:- The build quality in the BM is great, far better than the S3 I had, everything feels more solid. I went for the individual ivory white leather and although it needs cleaning every month, the seats, materials and the hard touch stuff really is very good.

I have had a few little electrical gremlins, but nothing that's warranted a service visit. Few messages have flagged up on dash, some saying take to dealer- But once car is restarted they disappear. I put it down to being an PHEV.

I have the 330e M sport + ( or is it pro). I find the suspension really comfortable & when flicked into sport it really does firm up and turn the car into a fun little wagon.

With regards to range I have never got over 30. I charge off 11KW chargers and sometimes I can get 27 on the dash, but i find that changes pretty quickly when the car is moving. In short ranges are all over the place but its never caused me an issue.

I love the laser lights- they are bloody brilliant, as well as the lane departure & adaptive cruise. I put every option on my 330e, it came with hell of alot more standard than the Audi did.

All in all its a very good car, a little low on the performance side for me, but xtra boost helps & it's only because i was used to a tuned up Audi S3. I am still debating weather to have a stage 1 put on my 330e.

Overall a really good car, I do enjoy driving it. It looks mega too in the Dravit gray.

PS- Just editing this comment, I get condensation in the laser lights on some days.. It partially fogs the front light housing, does anyone else have this!?

Last edited by JM13RS; 02-01-2021 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
willougs265.00
      02-01-2021, 05:12 AM   #51
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I spent ages debating between the 330i which I eventually went for and the new A4 Avant. The dealer for the A4 was going to throw in the "Comfort and Sound Pack" which has the 19 speaker Bang and Olufsen system that sounds epic. The sound in the G20/21 is utter toss in comparison. In fact, there is no comparison. It's not a massive detail for me because I generally just listen to TalkSport but if it's important to you then you should listen before buying.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0