Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK A big mistake?

01-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #23
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Recently bit the bullet and ordered (personal, not lease/company car) a brand new 330e. Then joined this forum and now wondering whether I've made a big mistake! I thought these were supposed to be at the higher end of build quaity, but so far:
  • battery weld issues forcing a recall
  • bass drop issues with the HK amp
  • appauling tyre wear on the rear tyres
  • windscreens that are easily scratched by the wipers
  • hit and miss Gesture Control
  • considerably worse than advertised all-electric range
  • faulty ECUs
  • gearbox oil leaks
  • excessive battery drain while unused
  • unreliable OTA updates
  • overheating wireless charging pad
  • condensation behind windscreen affecting front camera
  • ... probably a load of other things that I've forgotten

...none of which seem to be isolated cases.

(trying to move conversation away from the EU!)
BMW windscreens do seem to have gone down in quality in last couple of years.

You would only buy a 330e for the tax benefits no point dragging all those batteries around otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #24
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
You would only buy a 330e for the tax benefits no point dragging all those batteries around otherwise.
Not true. Had heart set on 330d, but 330e was only a few hundred quid more. Wife's daily commute is 22 miles each way and free charging point at work. No brainer for me personally.

I'm just disappointed that the real world all electric miles are way off the claims by BMW. Should still be within range, but an annoyance anyway.
That and the various issues on here... which most I may have encountered with the 330d also.

I'm comfortable with my choice of a 330e. Just maybe not so much with the choice of a BMW at the moment.

Fingers crossed all works out.
      01-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #25
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

I’m not sure the savings really stack up tho. To get good usage you need the charger fitted, that’s the best part of 750. Whilst you can get 22 miles in winter it’s hard work! All the sodding BEV’s hog the free chargers at the office for us, so the PHEV guys don’t even get a look in as the charge is more ‘beneficial’ to BEV drivers.

I even get funny looks from BEV drivers when I use the free chargers at supermarkets. I wouldn’t base a purchase on access to a free chargers tbh.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #26
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
I'm not sure the savings really stack up tho. To get good usage you need the charger fitted, that's the best part of 750.
Good point. And this was considered. Although probably not going to get one installed right away it will undoubtedly be something we will consider depending on how the first few months go.

Its a hard expense to swallow, but can only be a good investment/necessity for the years to come when BEVs become more of a practical option for the masses.
Once installed, its there for the foreseeable (until technology improvements renders them obsolete) and not just limited to this car, hopefully.
      01-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Good point. And this was considered. Although probably not going to get one installed right away it will undoubtedly be something we will consider depending on how the first few months go..
This is one of the issues I've considered (doing my homework), as a 330e could possibly cope with my local use.

Without it, the lower charge rate wouldn't allow full winter pre-conditioning without depleting the battery, as I understand it. Reducing the range by a few miles, which makes it tight. I'll be wanting a genuine 25 miles range in light driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #28
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e m sport

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure the savings really stack up tho. To get good usage you need the charger fitted, that's the best part of 750.
Good point. And this was considered. Although probably not going to get one installed right away it will undoubtedly be something we will consider depending on how the first few months go.

Its a hard expense to swallow, but can only be a good investment/necessity for the years to come when BEVs become more of a practical option for the masses.
Once installed, its there for the foreseeable (until technology improvements renders them obsolete) and not just limited to this car, hopefully.
I've had a PHEV for 3 years now and never felt the need for a charger. Plug in every night at home using 3 pin granny charger and everyday at work using the ChargePoint. My 330e is due in March and I'll still be using 3 pin.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperistops View Post
I've had a PHEV for 3 years now and never felt the need for a charger. Plug in every night at home using 3 pin granny charger and everyday at work using the ChargePoint. My 330e is due in March and I'll still be using 3 pin.
What EV range do you acheive on cold winter mornings?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #30
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have a golf GTE at the minute. I preheat but leave heating on during my 8 mile trip to work. Car always says 28 miles but by the time I arrive it usually says about 11 miles left. Journey is around 4 miles 40 mph and 4 miles 60 mph. When I first got it I used to be quite thrifty with the brake regen etc but life's too short so I just enjoy the car now. Folk spend too much time fretting over ev miles. A PHEV is suited perfectly to my lifestyle. I fill with petrol once every 6-8 weeks. When I first got it I done 2128 miles on one tank.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #31
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Pre heat kills the range if your not charging from a proper wall charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #32
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Not with my GTE It doesn't. Preheat at work using charger and I have 28 miles and 28 degrees in cabin, preheat at home using granny it is the same. If I don't preheat I still have 28
The only benefit of the wall charger to me was speed of charging but I charge over night so didn't benefit me at all
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #33
Jgr1249
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Recently bit the bullet and ordered (personal, not lease/company car) a brand new 330e. Then joined this forum and now wondering whether I've made a big mistake! I thought these were supposed to be at the higher end of build quaity, but so far:
  • faulty ECUs
  • gearbox oil leaks
  • unreliable OTA updates

It’s a fab car - it’s difficult for me to charge mine but I am still able to get 47MPG on my commute with up to 15 miles of regen electric. Gets around 35MPG in town with around 40% regen electric. Much better than I thought it would be.
Had no major issues - and even if you do, when you put your foot down it will all be worth it
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #34
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Not true. Had heart set on 330d, but 330e was only a few hundred quid more. Wife's daily commute is 22 miles each way and free charging point at work. No brainer for me personally.

I'm just disappointed that the real world all electric miles are way off the claims by BMW. Should still be within range, but an annoyance anyway.
That and the various issues on here... which most I may have encountered with the 330d also.

I'm comfortable with my choice of a 330e. Just maybe not so much with the choice of a BMW at the moment.

Fingers crossed all works out.
I went full ev with a Mini, range 100 miles, it's quick and is great fun. Then have a performance car with no batteries for a good blast
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #35
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not with my GTE It doesn't. Preheat at work using charger and I have 28 miles and 28 degrees in cabin, preheat at home using granny it is the same. If I don't preheat I still have 28
The only benefit of the wall charger to me was speed of charging but I charge over night so didn't benefit me at all
The range gets hammered on the 330e if you pre condition on the 3 pin.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #36
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
  • faulty ECUs
  • gearbox oil leaks
  • unreliable OTA updates

Well I must be lucky then as other than a couple of software issues that my dealer sorted promptly I have had none of the issues above at all. I installed a charger in my garage before delivery, I use it every day, my MPG has never been lower than the low 50's and its never ever missed a beat.

I don't know where these reports of "appalling tyre wear" come from as after almost 12000 miles I must have 6 mm or more tread.

The Gesture control works fine, no oil leaks or oil usage. I do have issues about software updates and the total non information about Alexa in the car but otherwise its the best BMW I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:31 AM   #37
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had a test drive over night from Sytner and it seemed ok tbh. Charged over night and preheat for 7am. 22 miles on car when I got in. From my experience if you set departure times it gives the car chance to heat and recharge
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:22 AM   #38
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I looked at wall charger and even with goverment grant assistant i didnt want the outlay of hundereds of pounds until i had experienced living with the 330e and 3 pin plug charger
im 3 months or so in and tbh, its working fine for me.
plug in when i arrive home in evening (having to work) fully charged over night no issues.
i have preclimatisation set up and doesnt imact on range at all?
even at -4 of late still showing 22 miles and i have had it showing up to 26 miles when it was milder pre Xmas.
i love the car now Imel getting more used to it, its smooth and comfortable and can also pick its feet up when required and not even in sports mode either. Xtraboost is a beast though.
I am only aware of the extra weight under heavy braking, but once used to it you compensate.
im more than happy
      01-28-2021, 04:27 AM   #39
Jasperistops
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I looked at wall charger and even with goverment grant assistant i didnt want the outlay of hundereds of pounds until i had experienced living with the 330e and 3 pin plug charger
im 3 months or so in and tbh, its working fine for me.
plug in when i arrive home in evening (having to work) fully charged over night no issues.
i have preclimatisation set up and doesnt imact on range at all?
even at -4 of late still showing 22 miles and i have had it showing up to 26 miles when it was milder pre Xmas.
i love the car now Imel getting more used to it, its smooth and comfortable and can also pick its feet up when required and not even in sports mode either. Xtraboost is a beast though.
I am only aware of the extra weight under heavy braking, but once used to it you compensate.
im more than happy
Sounds like the exact same experience I am having with my current car. Happy to carry that over to my 330e when i finally pick it up
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #40
tjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osxboy View Post
I’m getting around 24 miles and had a high of 31 on pure electric. I’m down in Hampshire so a little milder than up north which may help.

Given lockdown I’m basically using electric for the majority of my driving. My last fuel fill up was 38 litres and I’d done 825 miles because I charge every day.
What's the temperature like? I know these are 'Local Forums' for the UK, but here in Finland, my electric range varies between 22-26mi in -10 celsius. 18mi at lowest in -21.

I received on the New Year's Eve, so I'm "eagerly" waiting for the summer time ranges
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #41
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I lose 6/7 miles if I pre condition from the granny charger (10a). With pre conditioning from the wall point (7kw) I get 25 miles in winter with local driving and a light foot.

The outside temp makes a nice difference tho, it’s 10c here and I got 30 miles from a charge. Well chuffed with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #42
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I lose 6/7 miles if I pre condition from the granny charger (10a). With pre conditioning from the wall point (7kw) I get 25 miles in winter with local driving and a light foot.

The outside temp makes a nice difference tho, it’s 10c here and I got 30 miles from a charge. Well chuffed with that.
i would like to hope once we get into spring/summer i can achieve 30+ on an overnight charge
If not i may look at a wall charger (a) more charge (b) quicker than 10 hours on the 3 pin plug
      01-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #43
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I remember the good old days when we used to discuss V max, 0-60 times and how quick we could get to meetings through twisties. Now, thanks to fuel costs, speed cams and sneaky cops hiding in vans, discussion has moved to MPG and eco modes.

I see that in 2022, auto speed limiters will be mandatory in new cars to further curtail our fun.

Don't get me wrong, EV range is an interesting topic but I am still burning fossil fuels without electric assistance.

Back on topic, I also have appalling tyre wear (Turanza RFT are horrid things) and OTA updates/BMW app are useless - I just checked the app for my mileage and it still shows the car 150 miles away at my last site meeting

Everything else about the car is great but I can't comment on electric side of things.

When you get behind the wheel Willougs, you will love it. And I totally agree about the EU conversation.
Appreciate 1
willougs265.00
      01-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
RichE91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330E

I too was concerned with some of the issues the 3 series is having however with the warranty in place and a history of owning BMWs I know I will be in safe hands. I’m only 1month and 900miles into ownership so far but I have to say what an amazing car it has been so far. My commute is 20miles and I can easily do this on a full charge and have the benefit of a charging point at work. The range is definitely effected by the temp as it will be with all battery vehicles, the most I have seen so far is 28miles but I know it will hit 30+ once we get into spring.
I’ve owned several 330d’s in the past and this has knocked the socks off them. The preheat function has been an absolute joy this winter both leaving for work and coming home and has left all of my colleagues green with envy.
It will put a smile on your face and you will enjoy your ownership.
Appreciate 1
willougs265.00