Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) G80 Steering Wheel

06-11-2022, 09:59 AM   #45
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Lol, I am looking as we speak! How do you like the wheel since it has been installed ?? Any complaints?
No complaints at all. YMMV though depending on how oily your skin is.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #46
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
Quote:
Lol, I am looking as we speak! How do you like the wheel since it has been installed ?? Any complaints?
No complaints at all. YMMV though depending on how oily your skin is.
In that case, there are always a good set of driving gloves
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:42 AM   #47
Galex999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e Alpine White

I was seriously considering to get this M-Performance steering wheel on my new 2023 330e. However I probably won't for one important reason.

In case of an accident, there is slight possibility of airbag may not deploy properly after this steering wheel swap. Well, at least that's what my dealer service manager told me when I asked him about swapping my steering wheel and their labor fee. Unless it's done by a BMW certified technician at authorized shop, BMW won't be liable for any airbag malfunction which cause serious injury or even death in an severe accident.

Also the BMW installation manual specifically mentioned not to reuse the ground lug during the swap. It says brand new ground lug must be re-crimped using an specific tool. Proper grounding is crucial for any sensitive electronic, especially airbag that contains powerful powder explosive charge inside. And all these YouTube videos shows nothing about this! So all those installations done after watching their video were done incorrectly and there is no guarantee that airbag will work properly.

And crazy thing is that my local BMW dealer won't do this swap due to potential liability issue even if I'm willing to pay minimum few hundreds $$ on top of nearly $1,000 price for this steering wheel. I guess it's not worth them of risking potential law suit.

Bottom line. You're voiding BMW factory airbag warranty if you swap this steering wheel by yourself. To me, it's not worth all the money involved and potential serious safety concern. Also stock M-sport steering wheel is plenty sporty enough for me after using it for few weeks, and the Alcantara portion of this steering wheel won't look good after years of use and it will collect all the germs and sweat, and it's nearly impossible to properly clean it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #48
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post
I was seriously considering to get this M-Performance steering wheel on my new 2023 330e. However I probably won't for one important reason.

In case of an accident, there is slight possibility of airbag may not deploy properly after this steering wheel swap. Well, at least that's what my dealer service manager told me when I asked him about swapping my steering wheel and their labor fee. Unless it's done by a BMW certified technician at authorized shop, BMW won't be liable for any airbag malfunction which cause serious injury or even death in an severe accident.

Also the BMW installation manual specifically mentioned not to reuse the ground lug during the swap. It says brand new ground lug must be re-crimped using an specific tool. Proper grounding is crucial for any sensitive electronic, especially airbag that contains powerful powder explosive charge inside. And all these YouTube videos shows nothing about this! So all those installations done after watching their video were done incorrectly and there is no guarantee that airbag will work properly.

And crazy thing is that my local BMW dealer won't do this swap due to potential liability issue even if I'm willing to pay minimum few hundreds $$ on top of nearly $1,000 price for this steering wheel. I guess it's not worth them of risking potential law suit.

Bottom line. You're voiding BMW factory airbag warranty if you swap this steering wheel by yourself. To me, it's not worth all the money involved and potential serious safety concern. Also stock M-sport steering wheel is plenty sporty enough for me after using it for few weeks, and the Alcantara portion of this steering wheel won't look good after years of use and it will collect all the germs and sweat, and it's nearly impossible to properly clean it regularly.
To each their own brother - you do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. For me, the stock steering wheel in my m340i is absolute garbage and will be replaced at some point in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #49
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
"Absolute garbage"?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 04:42 PM   #50
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
"Absolute garbage"?
That is correct - absolute garbage.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 03:37 AM   #51
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
I understand. So when you turn it right car goes left and opposite? Sounds like real garbage!
Appreciate 2
TTG936.00
      12-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #52
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDS85 View Post
Quote:
I understand. So when you turn it right car goes left and opposite? Sounds like real garbage!
Lol, not sure why the heartburn over a comment about a steering wheel. It's pretty simple, I prefer a better quality wheel over the factory leather wheel. If the stock wheel was the crème de la crème, then I'm sure BMW and other establishments wouldn't have upgrade options available. The same principle applies to all aftermarket components.

To each their own big dawg
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #53
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post

...and the Alcantara portion of this steering wheel won't look good after years of use and it will collect all the germs and sweat, and it's nearly impossible to properly clean it regularly.
So what they were telling you is they don't have a tech qualified enough to install genuine BMW parts. You need to find a new dealer. What you said about Alcantara is 100% false. It's very easy to maintain and clean regularly. It wears much better than leather. I have a full Alcantara steering wheel in my Z06 along with an Alcantara shifter, center console, & I've covered most of the interior plastics (door sills, b-pillars, door panels, etc.) with Alcantara. Looks brand new.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #54
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Does anyone know if this wheel supports the driver's assistance? Meaning does it detect you are touching it to keep the assistance active?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 04:35 AM   #55
Sierra055
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 SSG, 2021 Audi SQ7

I haven't fitted mine yet as car still hasn't arrived so I can't confirm firsthand yet, but I specifically asked this question and was told it did.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 03:39 PM   #56
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Personally I would much rather go for a custom flat bottom wheel from AZA Auto Wheel configured like I want WITH the heated option retained

Have 1 on both my 2015 435 with the led function and my 2000 Transam

Their quality is impeccable
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #57
eagerbimmer
Rep
Drives: Leyland Cars Mini 1000 Mark IV

i am thinking of swapping out the steering to the m-sport steering wheel or the g80 m3 steering. i'm hoping either are smaller than the stock wheel. are they smaller or do they share the same circumference? thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 03:22 AM   #58
charlie360
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3T G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaRob21 View Post
I went ahead, bit the bullet, and got this done. BIG NOTE: if you have a 2021+ with the mild hybrid, you need to pop the hood open when you disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it open as the lithium battery for the hybrid system will remain active unless you pop the hood (apparently there is some sensor that disconnects it when the hoods open).
I have a g21 mild hybrid and was thinking of changing the paddles and wheel cover but am frightened of the stage on disconnecting batteries and removing the airbag. Just for clarity in the mild hybrid version, I have assumed that you disconnect the main battery under the boot/trunk floor and then just open the bonnet/hood, is that all or should you disconnect anything else thanks in advance as there seems to be little information regarding the hybrid version of the 340.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:08 PM   #59
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbimmer View Post
i am thinking of swapping out the steering to the m-sport steering wheel or the g80 m3 steering. i'm hoping either are smaller than the stock wheel. are they smaller or do they share the same circumference? thanks guys
It’s basically the same circumference
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #60
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

I have this one: https://infiniteautowerks.com/shop/i...teering-wheel/

They are using OEM cores. You can get it with heat as well and it comes with the proper connector on the wiring. I bought one from a different site before and it just came with bare wires.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #61
Bimmer.Plug
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 & F82 M4

The steering wheel kit from Bimmer Plug will fit onto your m340i. There are quite a few options to customize it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 10:32 PM   #62
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I really like the steering wheel on this car but not the quality of the leather itself. Not going to argue with the dude above who thinks it is "garbage" lol.

Retaining the heating function is a must for me.

I got a quote from an amazing local shop to re-wrap my steering wheel (Perforated Leather & Alcantara), add blue stitching to match the rest of the interior and may be get them to re-wrap the airbag cover with blue stitching as well. ( https://nwcraftedinteriors.com/ )

It is all cheaper than buying a new M-performance steering wheel but with high quality leather instead and it will be fully customized.

This will be my holiday project and I will post pics once completed.

I am not a fan of tri-color stitching on a non- M car and not really interested in carbon fiber bits and pieces as there aren't any on the rest of the car. Keeping everything else stock at this point.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1