Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Comparing 330i and M340i at high speed?

05-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #23
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I advice you to go to Munich and drive some real M cars very, very, very hard (BMW on demand). You said you drive a few miles a day on local roads and you're worrying about +170km/h behaviour of your next car in a country where you'll rot in jail doing this and stating that you're not interested in doing such things.
Didnt say I was "worrying", just asking. Also, on the highways alot of people drive spirited driving
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #24
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Didnt say I was "worrying", just asking. Also, on the highways alot of people drive spirited driving
I Understand... but no alternative: 330i is the best value for money in the real world we live in. Irrespective the +200mph sensations a Bugatti Chiron or other supercars +5trillion € can deliver.
The M340i is no doubt the more accomplished performance car, but the TCO for every mile is about 40% more, I mean REAL € cash out and not only when you're trashing it! A L W A Y S.

When you go for the M340i I can only hope you can push it a lot, or alternatively, that you can enjoy its virtues as an epicurian (cerebrale endulgement I mean, since the 330i will cruise objectively equal or better than the M340i, not accelerate...that's clear). Nevertheless, where you and I live, the measurable performance difference is not an argument since the 330i puts your licence in the shredder after 5 seconds... the M340i would have put it there a second sooner. I can agree with that.

There is another issue showing up at the horizon fast now: no combustion engine propelled car will have any value within 10 years time from now... so don't count on long term write offs since it will not happen. The residual value of the bigger engines will plummet faster than the smaller ones already. This will happen as from... NOW.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:47 PM   #25
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

As was told to me when I was young, if you can, do.

I have driven both and the fun factor of the M340 is hands-down the winner. It's a $70k+ toy car to me. I don't bemoan gas mileage. I realize why I have it and absolutely have enjoyed the experience.

If you're going to fidget over cost, just stick with the 330.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #26
Oswaldo
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw Serie 3

Note that for example in Europe the M340i is not available.
And if you compare the 330i XDrive with the M340i XDrive, the difference from 0 to 100 is 1.1s.
So the fun of the rear M340i in Europe does not exist.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7651-8310.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #27
StevenX94
Private
Rep

I think almost everyone agrees that for most countries daily driving routines the 330 would be the smarter better choice. Cheaper and does the job well. It only comes down in the end to whether or not that extra bit of power and the extra 2 cyl are worth it.

I also heard rumors about the future being bad for pure combustion engine cars, but who knows, in my mind they are more reliable than electric cars and those heavy batteries.

A guy whose said to be an expert in engines and car mechanics once said in a youtube video that he made that Bmws 6 cyl engines are normally more reliable in the long term than the smaller 4 cyl engines. He was meaning many years ownership and not 3 or 4 years. I dont know at all if that is true or not, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about tho. Does anyone with experience here know if this is true or not?
What I do know is that reliabilty of an engine is affected by how you treat it and drive it, but maybe there is more to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #28
chazbarrington
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
If you floor the M340 at 100 miles per hour the car pushes you back in your seat.

If you floor a 330 at 100 the engine coughs.

Honestly the M340 is silly fast, and has ridiculous reserves of power even well beyond 100 mph.
+1. Without using CC on the highway it's almost impossible to maintain speed below criminal violation levels (85 mph in AZ).

I went on a road trip last weekend through mountains and the amount of power available even on steep inclines is insane.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #29
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
As was told to me when I was young, if you can, do.

I have driven both and the fun factor of the M340 is hands-down the winner. It's a $70k+ toy car to me. I don't bemoan gas mileage. I realize why I have it and absolutely have enjoyed the experience.

If you're going to fidget over cost, just stick with the 330.
This. There is so much more to which one someone prefers over the other. If it's a money thing or a pure practicality thing, the 330i would be the obvious choice, that is if you keep the 330i less optioned. I have built a 330i online to where it is equipped as close to a standard M340i and it is still cheaper but you can't get the M Sport rear differential and there is a huge horsepower difference. I look at what you "save" with the 330i and there is no way to make up for those performance differences with the "savings". You can't buy two more cylinders! If you don't care about either, then back to the 330i. I just find it funny when online comparisons bitch about the disparity in base prices.

For me, I never even considered a 330i. I most recently came from an F10 535i and while heavier than a 3er, I'm used to the straight six, and having driven the 330i and G30 530i, did not like them at all. They were lacking and for me, my BMWs have to have a straight six, but an M550ix wouldn't be too bad.

I know that every single time I start my car, pull away from a traffic light, make a pass, turn a corner hard, or merge onto a busy freeway my M340i makes me happy and for me, that's enough of a reason to have gotten it.
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #30
Oswaldo
Spain
Rep

In Europe, on the 330i and 330d, you can add as an extra, the M Sport Differential, on the M340i XDrive and M340d, it already comes as standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #31
Oswaldo
Spain
Rep

Quote:
I think almost everyone agrees that for most countries daily driving routines the 330 would be the smarter better choice. Cheaper and does the job well. It only comes down in the end to whether or not that extra bit of power and the extra 2 cyl are worth it.

I also heard rumors about the future being bad for pure combustion engine cars, but who knows, in my mind they are more reliable than electric cars and those heavy batteries.

A guy whose said to be an expert in engines and car mechanics once said in a youtube video that he made that Bmws 6 cyl engines are normally more reliable in the long term than the smaller 4 cyl engines. He was meaning many years ownership and not 3 or 4 years. I dont know at all if that is true or not, the guy seemed to know what he was talking about tho. Does anyone with experience here know if this is true or not?
What I do know is that reliabilty of an engine is affected by how you treat it and drive it, but maybe there is more to it.

Your heart screams for the M340i XDrive, you shouldn't give it more thought, if you buy the 330i you will regret your purchase
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #32
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
This. There is so much more to which one someone prefers over the other. If it's a money thing or a pure practicality thing, the 330i would be the obvious choice, that is if you keep the 330i less optioned. I have built a 330i online to where it is equipped as close to a standard M340i and it is still cheaper but you can't get the M Sport rear differential and there is a huge horsepower difference. I look at what you "save" with the 330i and there is no way to make up for those performance differences with the "savings". You can't buy two more cylinders! If you don't care about either, then back to the 330i. I just find it funny when online comparisons bitch about the disparity in base prices.

For me, I never even considered a 330i. I most recently came from an F10 535i and while heavier than a 3er, I'm used to the straight six, and having driven the 330i and G30 530i, did not like them at all. They were lacking and for me, my BMWs have to have a straight six, but an M550ix wouldn't be too bad.

I know that every single time I start my car, pull away from a traffic light, make a pass, turn a corner hard, or merge onto a busy freeway my M340i makes me happy and for me, that's enough of a reason to have gotten it.
The M Sport diff could be added as an option from what I know in Europe, but I agree on the most part of what you said, I think even if you tick every performance related option on the 330i, there would still be a difference in the smoothness and the comfortness of the engine while delivering power.
I guess the the closest level you can get the two cars is maybe by putting a tuned 330i with a stock m340i, maybe then they would feel about the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #33
Phippsy81
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

The M Sport Diff is an option on the 330i in the UK, I have it on mine...
Having moved from a F32 435d to the 330i, which was the biggest engine available when I got it, I was worried I would miss the power and torque of the 6 pot diesel!
Whilst there is a notable difference in power and acceleration between the two cars (1.1s 0-60 off book), I'm not disappointed with the 330i at all, and overall much prefer it over the F32.
I did choose to spec the car with most things bar the Visibility Pack, but even then it still would come in circa £3k under a Base M340i.

I would definitely consider the M340i/M3 in the future, but the 330i is plenty of car for daily driving, reasonable economy and punchy enough to have some fun too, but even with a stage 1 map it wouldn't be in standard M340i territory on power/acceleration.

If you want the power and have the cash, go for the M340i, but if you want very good performance with a lower price point for initial outlay and overall day to day running costs, the 330i is a great option 👌🏼

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #34
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

[/QUOTE] I know that every single time I start my car, pull away from a traffic light, make a pass, turn a corner hard, or merge onto a busy freeway my M340i makes me happy and for me, that's enough of a reason to have gotten it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Let’s face it, cars are rarely a decision based on logic. I have a long commute everyday and any car could get me to my destination, but most wont get me there with a smile. I test drive the 330i and was very impressed, then jumped into the M340i and I knew which car I needed to have
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      05-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #35
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

No there is not.

A 6 line has the advantage of no 2nd harmonic vibrations and less vibrations is better. My 6-cyls were more € to maintain, and by a serious stretch! My 4-cyl all did ~150000 kms without nothing but the normal maintenance.

Looking at my maintenace invoices, the 6 costs double than the 4s and it apparently is normal to BMW service to present an invoice of 1200€ on 60.000km maintenance for a 530i. Never saw that on the 4 cyls which were all around 450€.

Nevertheless, I believe that a 6 put on high road at constant speed can easily crack 1million kms, because of the lack of vibrations. But that's not why you would potentially opt for he M340i I presume.

To me, also this argument is in the trash.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #36
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Also, buying a 6 cyl to drive millions of kms is a bit ridiculous, since we already came to the conclusion that the 320d would be the perfect fit then.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:48 AM   #37
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Well I guess I should add some perspective, as a long time owner of BMW 6cyl engines and now my first 4cyl.

Currently my 330i fulfills every single need that I have. As you can tell I live in Germany. 5kms from my house lies the longest derestricted stretch of Autobahn in Germany. I use it every day to get to work, about a 25km commute. I have driven my cars HARD.

Maybe i'm getting old. But I dont really miss the extra power. If I do its probably 1% of the time. A car can be practical and fun without having absurd power. If roasting your tires is your thing, then fine, I get it, I've done it and lived with it, but its not the bench mark I was looking for.

The 330i handles the road just as good as the M2 did on a normal day. More than enough power to pass anyone at any speed. I sometimes cruise at 200+ km/h and the engine delivers and never feels out of breath except at the very top. This 4cyl is very very smooth. Not sure were the "rough" comments are coming from.

Combustion engines have their days numbered. It's just how it is. My next car will be electric, and i'm ok with that. These discussions are pointless.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50
      05-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #38
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
M340i is significantly faster. I had a 330i tried to keep up and I lost him in comfort mode like he was standing still. You can hit 130 plus just by burying your foot in comfort mode.

Happen to me once while merging from on-ramp onto highway and all this occurred in mere seconds. As a result, driving this car requires you watch your speed at all times. It also does those speeds without much fanfare. Sport plus is even more insane, which is why I sometimes ponder why some folks needs tunes.
Comfort mode, sport mode don’t make the car any faster it’s only throttle sensitivity differences, holding gears longer, steering wheel stiffness and making the exhaust louder
Holding gears longer can actually make the car perform better. The rest give the perception of increased speed, drama and sportiness. Unless one is on a race track, perceptions are good enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:33 AM   #39
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
unfounded conspiracy theory... it is what it is: 374hp versus 258hp. That's what you can expect and that's what it is.
thats a big jump, for instance from the 5.7 hemi to the 6.4L in my charger is about 100hp but its a heavy car so that weight bogs the car in the M340i being almost 1000lbs lighter 120hp extra makes a massive difference!

The 340i will throw you back if you accelerate after 100mph my 6.4L wont! the B48 feel extremely under-rated
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00