Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto Display Format

05-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
ckennedyYOW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Android Auto Display Format

Hi everyone,

a quick question on the display options for Android Auto. When it was first installed last Fall, the display showed Spotify as the large portion of the screen (to the left), with a smaller portion of the screen given to a digital clock. I liked the look of this simple setup. However, at some point, the clock was replaced with a very small/narrow Google Maps display. I have tried to find a way to revert back to the clock display, but without success. Has anyone else encountered this particular issue?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckennedyYOW View Post
Hi everyone,

a quick question on the display options for Android Auto. When it was first installed last Fall, the display showed Spotify as the large portion of the screen (to the left), with a smaller portion of the screen given to a digital clock. I liked the look of this simple setup. However, at some point, the clock was replaced with a very small/narrow Google Maps display. I have tried to find a way to revert back to the clock display, but without success. Has anyone else encountered this particular issue?

thanks!
Google rolled out split screen support somewhat recently. https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...de-head-units/

So, it displays the primary app on the left and a secondary app on the right. I don't see a Clock app in Android Auto on my phone, so there might not be a straightforward way to get the clock on the right. As a workaround, you can open Waze so it becomes one of the 2 active apps instead of Google Maps. This only works because Waze doesn't have split screen support, though. No idea how long this will be the case. I played around with it a bit, but I wasn't able to figure out any other way to do this.

I'm using Poweramp here, but it should be the same with Spotify.

I usually have Waze as the primary app. It shows the same time and date widget on the right, just on top of a music widget on the bottom half. You might find this to be more agreeable than the small Google Maps widget on the right, if this workaround stops working in the future.
Attached Images

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI

Last edited by Merami fan; 05-09-2021 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
ckennedyYOW
Private
Rep

Much appreciated. I will give that a try!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
ckennedyYOW
Private
Rep

Your solution to use Waze worked. Clock now displays to the right of the screen either with Waze as the main screen, or Spotify. Thanks very much!
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Keyse611
Rep
Drives: 430i

I have it with google maps too. I am not sure how but I will check next time
Appreciate 0