Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2022 BMW M340iX vs. 2013 Audi S4

04-28-2023, 12:52 AM   #1
4WDFAN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i (on order)

2022 BMW M340iX vs. 2013 Audi S4

2022 BMW M340iX vs. 2013 Audi S4

A year ago, I replaced my B 8.5 Audi S4, which I had for over eight years, with a G20 M340i Xdrive. Here is my comparison of the two vehicles. My views are subjective, feel free to disagree. Note that I like spirited driving but I do not track my cars.

The Audi was equipped with a manual transmission and sport (torque vectoring) differential. It had 18 inch wheels with regular tires and a fixed suspension. The only mod was an Alu Kreuz drive train stabilizer, which I installed for improved steering feel soon after I got the car. The BMW also has 18 inch regular (non run flat) tires and no mods. The BMW has automatic transmission; manual is not available in US. It has a fixed suspension; adjustable suspension was not available when I ordered the car.

Drive-train.
Both drive-trains are great. Supercharged S4 has strong low-end torque. It is easy to drive with a manual, and even parking on a hill is a breeze. Manual transmission makes one feel connected to the car. But the engine runs out of steam somewhat at high RPMs.
The in-line BMW engine feels smoother and is more powerful. There is turbo lag in some conditions, but automatic hides it fairly well. As far as automatics go, the transmission is very good.
Objectively, BMW drive-train is better. The car is significantly faster, yet gets a better fuel economy: I am getting 25-26 MPG vs. 20-21 for the Audi.

Handling
BMW is more balanced and neutral, and feels more playful. It is easy to induce power oversteer in the BMW. One can do it in the Audi thanks to the sports differential, but it requires a deliberate push on the throttle and feels like you are forcing the car. BMW wins.

Steering
This is where both cars disappoint. Steering is numb. Audi with the drivetrain stabilizer was somewhat better. I did not drive it much without the stabilizer, but my guess is that it is similar to the BMW.

Ride
Audi has a well-tuned suspension, giving it a very nice combination of control and comfort. BMW is very firm, which sometimes leads to somewhat uncomfortable impacts. I am glad I did not get 19 inch run flats. I am wondering how much adjustable suspension helps. Audi wins for ride comfort.

Interior
I like Audi interior design better. Napa leather, not available on the BMW, feels great and looked good after eight years. The seats hold you better in turns. BMW seats are wider and not as bolstered. However, BMW pneumatic lumbar support works better.

Technology
This is where BMWs newer design shows. It has many more hi-tech features. There is no comparison. However, while everything in Audi worked well, in BMW I sometimes feel like a beta tester, and I wonder how the fancy features will hold in the long run.

Minor annoyances
Nowadays, BMW seems to be moving away form the ultimate driving machine to a driving appliance. Some default choices are annoying and cannot be changed. It is annoying to have to change settings every time you get in the car. Makes you feel that the car is not working with you, but fighting you. I think some, but not all, of these annoyances can be fixed by coding.
  • I would like to be able to choose what driving mode the car starts in, or at least have it start in Sport Individual, which I can customize. Also, I would like to be able to set the auto start/stop default.
  • This is the first car I ran into that does not have manual headlights. Make auto headlights user-selectable! Or at least allow me to turn the light off even if the car thinks they should be on, and allow me to turn the parking lights on without turning the headlights on while moving.
  • I have to increase media volume each time I start the car. I think the car remembers the volume up to a threshold, which is set very low. Eliminating the threshold or making the threshold user-adjustable would be an improvement.
  • The active blind spot detection implementation is worse than what I experienced in a few cars I rented recently.
  • (edited) I'd like to be able to disable the artificial engine sound. I want the sport mode without extra noise.

I may be hard on the BMW because I am spoiled by my first BMW, E36 with a manual transmission and a 6-cylinder engine. That car felt like an extension of the driver. All controls felt right. The car did not try to second-guess the driver, but it was eager to do exactly what the driver wanted. Hi-tech features have their place. For example, I love Android Auto. However, in an enthusiast car, these features should be helping -- not replacing -- the driver.

I loved the Audi and I am sorry to let it go, but the BMW, with its excellent drivetrain, great handling, and modern technology is a worthy replacement. I chose it over 2022 Audi S4, 2022 Mercedes C43 AMG, and 2022 Genesis G70, and I would make the same choice today.

Last edited by 4WDFAN; 04-28-2023 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 04:29 AM   #2
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

Hello, the last point that disappoints you can be coded without worries with bimmercode, volume at startup, choose the startup mode etc etc
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i also went from 2013 8.5 S4 DSG adaptive dampers B&O sport diff -> M340i

Audi better sports car, BMW better car
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
4WDFAN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i also went from 2013 8.5 S4 DSG adaptive dampers B&O sport diff -> M340i

Audi better sports car, BMW better car
I guess this is subjective. For me, BMW is a better sports car: more balanced handling, the engine pulls strong to redline. Audi, with a more comfortable ride, is a better all around car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 08:44 PM   #5
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330 X Drive

A bit relevant here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1982797
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:01 AM   #6
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i find the AUdi to be lighter, nimble, raw, and the instant throttle response. the car feels fast when you drive, even though it's slower than the BMW.

the BMW is laggy, heavy, very insulated (can't hear anything exhaust or engine!) but super refined, super comfortable over long distance. the car feels slow when you are doing well over 100mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 03:24 AM   #7
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

My '22 330e has the ability to manually control the headlights, parking lights, etc. I can also change the default driving mode, and adjust the volume at start up (I believe - have to go back and check all my settings). These features are different in the M340?

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 10:30 PM   #8
maco33
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Xdrive

The numb steering on my m340i is one of the few things I dislike about my car
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 10:36 PM   #9
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330 X Drive

FYI

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1982797
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
I found Audi and VW products suffer from a dead spot when driving from a stop. Turbo lad or whatever not for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:17 PM   #11
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDFAN View Post
I guess this is subjective. For me, BMW is a better sports car: more balanced handling, the engine pulls strong to redline. Audi, with a more comfortable ride, is a better all around car.
Most people consider this a factual statement. All cars have become less driver focused than the old days. It's just what's expected these days for the major buying demographic, not the enthusiasts. This is why it's unfair to compare the older S4 and the E36 with a G20. With modern technology we lost some of the things we enjoyed in the classic cars. For example, hydraulic steering, driver engagement, NA engines etc. However, we also got improved interiors, better reliability, more safety features etc.

Even today one can still get a taste of the analog experience in cars like the BRZ/FRS. I think these days we are better off having two cars since the one car fits all purposes can be too much of a compromise.
      05-26-2023, 05:56 PM   #12
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Most people consider this a factual statement. All cars have become less driver focused than the old days. It's just what's expected these days for the major buying demographic, not the enthusiasts. This is why it's unfair to compare the older S4 and the E36 with a G20. With modern technology we lost some of the things we enjoyed in the classic cars. For example, hydraulic steering, driver engagement, NA engines etc. However, we also got improved interiors, better reliability, more safety features etc.

Even today one can still get a taste of the analog experience in cars like the BRZ/FRS. I think these days we are better off having two cars since the one car fits all purposes can be too much of a compromise.
So true. Bring back hydraulic steering!! Yeah, sure.....

The most engaging car I owned, was my beloved 1974 BMW 2002.
That car handled, and steered better than any modern day car I've ever driven.

It's been downhill for driver engagement ever since those days.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 02:09 PM   #13
BigBadBald
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i find the AUdi to be lighter, nimble, raw, and the instant throttle response. the car feels fast when you drive, even though it's slower than the BMW.

the BMW is laggy, heavy, very insulated (can't hear anything exhaust or engine!) but super refined, super comfortable over long distance. the car feels slow when you are doing well over 100mph.
I just picked up my M340ix 2 days ago and sold a 2012 B8 Audi S4, DSG, sport rear diff, APR stage 2 with SC pulley. Still getting used to the BMW, and I love it, but but really miss the driving fun of the Audi with that tune. I sold it to a friend. Maybe he’ll let me drive it every once and a while . Hopefully the ECU unlock gets figured out soon so we can add a little more fun and noise to the BMW.
Appreciate 0