Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software updates discussions

04-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #617
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Members in german forums report that RSUs now seem to be happening over-the-air in larger amounts, so maybe BMW is done testing or fixing their infrastructure or whatever it was that held it up, we'll see.
That would be nice.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #618
SomeGuy123
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavio829 View Post
Just wondering....I’ve been having a lot of BMW Connected app issues. Specifically the car won’t unlock/lock,remote 3D view. My 2020 330i is on software 07/2019.39.
BMW Assist said it could be my software in the vehicle that is causing the problem as there is a newer version.
I took the vehicle into the dealer and asked them to update the software as per BMW assist.
I was told that there is no new software updates for my car and after having the vehicle for 2 days, they only did a factory reset....It still does not connect. Any ideas on how to get them to update the software? Not sure why this is so hard - this is in Canada btw.
I had same problem on same software version. My dealer updated me to November 2019 version and since then, all connected drive functions have been working flawlessly
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #619
SomeGuy123
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Members in german forums report that RSUs now seem to be happening over-the-air in larger amounts, so maybe BMW is done testing or fixing their infrastructure or whatever it was that held it up, we'll see.
What is rsu?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #620
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy123 View Post
What is rsu?
Remote Software Upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #621
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Owners in North America can safely ignore this 😎
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #622
TheGrok
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Got my car updated to 03.2020.40 from 07.2019. Gained Spotify under Media and it works well. Sadly, still no Assisted Driving View for my pre July 2019 fully loaded 330xi. Guess it will have to be coded.

Last edited by TheGrok; 04-27-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #623
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate the advice.
I sent them an email mentioning that they did not do what I asked. I received a further email saying the car is up to date. Not sure why they are saying that when the car is clearly on 2019 software.

That's clearly not true. The latest OTA update is the 11.2019. However, I was at the dealership on Monday the 20th and they upgraded my car to 03.2020.40, which had just been realised a couple of days prior. So tell them to stop the BS and upgrade your car.

And, btw, the software upgrade was completely free of charge, of course, since it was for fixing known BMW software issues.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #624
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
That's clearly not true. The latest OTA update is the 11.2019. However, I was at the dealership on Monday the 20th and they upgraded my car to 03.2020.40, which had just been realised a couple of days prior. So tell them to stop the BS and upgrade your car.

And, btw, the software upgrade was completely free of charge, of course, since it was for fixing known BMW software issues.
Was just confirmed by the service manager that in fact there is a new update from BMW for my vehicle that is currently on 07/2019.39. Yay!
Apparently it is a difficult process for the dealer to get the software update from BMW North America (i.e. Tickets need to be created with support and etc) I don't really understand why they didn't do this in the first place - it really shouldn't be this hard for the customer.

Was asked to bring in the car again and hopefully this time it will be updated to solve the connected drive issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #625
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Was just confirmed by the service manager that in fact there is a new update from BMW for my vehicle that is currently on 07/2019.39. Yay!
Apparently it is a difficult process for the dealer to get the software update from BMW North America (i.e. Tickets need to be created with support and etc) I don't really understand why they didn't do this in the first place - it really shouldn't be this hard for the customer.

Was asked to bring in the car again and hopefully this time it will be updated to solve the connected drive issues.
Time for a new dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #626
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Time for a new dealer
Agreed. Unfortunately this attitude problem has proven to be the rule rather than the exception so far in my town. Two of the three major dealers in metro Atlanta are at equal levels of douchebaggery when it comes to upgrading software.

Fortunately now that I'm finally on 03.2020 I'm good for a while. Once I have the need for a future upgrade I'll try out our third large metro dealer, but my hopes aren't set too high based on my experience thus far. Really stupid way to create a stain on a brand IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #627
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Yeah.. I was just updated to 3/2020.31 last week on my 2019 330xi. The dealership will typically push back on upgrading for upgrading sake — but in the 11 months I've had my car, I've had plenty of software issues that justify updates. I know I personally wouldn't be worried about it, if there weren't issues.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't been disappointed in the software problems, along with the mechanical issues that I've had. Coupled now with two recalls, the most recent being the wiring harness one.

My car has mostly been parked over the past two months, and to be honest, I've not missed driving it. I guess that sums it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #628
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzdial View Post
Yeah.. I was just updated to 3/2020.31 last week on my 2019 330xi. The dealership will typically push back on upgrading for upgrading sake — but in the 11 months I've had my car, I've had plenty of software issues that justify updates. I know I personally wouldn't be worried about it, if there weren't issues.

I would be lying if I said I hadn't been disappointed in the software problems, along with the mechanical issues that I've had. Coupled now with two recalls, the most recent being the wiring harness one.

My car has mostly been parked over the past two months, and to be honest, I've not missed driving it. I guess that sums it up.
Fact: BMW advertised updates as being frequent but available OTA. A full year after launch, OTA still doesn't work in North America.

You shouldn't need to feel justified in requesting a software update because of BMW's failure to deliver on a service, particularly if it's impacting your ability to fully use a product you purchased/leased.

If anything, I'd hope the service centers being flooded with software update requests raises a red flag to corporate that they really screwed this one up, and need to roll out OTA updates ASAP.
Appreciate 1
mzdial114.50
      04-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #629
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've had my fair share of issues, including the trim on my custom build being incorrect, having to fight the dealer to remedy it, the first set of replacement trim having a defective ambient LED, the door getting dinged while in service, and having to force them to repaint it... plus of course all the same software issues everyone else has had, waiting for new software to be released, and having to fight the dealership to finally upgrade it. It's definitely been a PITA. All of that said it's left a bad taste in my mouth for BMW sales/service (and specifically this dealership), but hasn't detracted from the driving experience at all for me. In fact I got in my car the other day after having not driven it much for a month or so, and I quickly remembered how much I loved it. Especially now that I have Sport+, and Spotify in iDrive...I feel like the car is finally living up to its potential and I'll really happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #630
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:

Fact: BMW advertised updates as being frequent but available OTA. A full year after launch, OTA still doesn't work in North America.

You shouldn't need to feel justified in requesting a software update because of BMW's failure to deliver on a service, particularly if it's impacting your ability to fully use a product you purchased/leased.

If anything, I'd hope the service centers being flooded with software update requests raises a red flag to corporate that they really screwed this one up, and need to roll out OTA updates ASAP.
I agree. And to my dealership's credit — they have not given me a difficult time with the multiple software updates. I think I misspoke in my comments. I meant in general with BMWUSA dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #631
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
I've had my fair share of issues, including the trim on my custom build being incorrect, having to fight the dealer to remedy it, the first set of replacement trim having a defective ambient LED, the door getting dinged while in service, and having to force them to repaint it... plus of course all the same software issues everyone else has had, waiting for new software to be released, and having to fight the dealership to finally upgrade it. It's definitely been a PITA. All of that said it's left a bad taste in my mouth for BMW sales/service (and specifically this dealership), but hasn't detracted from the driving experience at all for me. In fact I got in my car the other day after having not driven it much for a month or so, and I quickly remembered how much I loved it. Especially now that I have Sport+, and Spotify in iDrive...I feel like the car is finally living up to its potential and I'll really happy with it.
Yes.. Sport+ and Spotify is nice. I just wish we had S+ and OTA updates from the start.. Who knows when we will see it.

I've been buying BMW's since the late 90's, so I've pretty much been around since all this "new fangled tech stuff" as the old folks joke. BMW tends to roll slow, and not add features between LCI. Even then, not so much, unless there was a huge issue.

So problems like the IR sensor for sunlight with the G20, I doubt there will be a software fix, or we will see a LCI correction. It is just frustrating, but I don't think anyone does it better currently. When someone does, I'll probably switch to their platform if it fits my lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #632
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes.. Sport+ and Spotify is nice. I just wish we had S+ and OTA updates from the start.. Who knows when we will see it.

So problems like the IR sensor for sunlight with the G20, I doubt there will be a software fix, or we will see a LCI correction. It is just frustrating, but I don't think anyone does it better currently. When someone does, I'll probably switch to their platform if it fits my lifestyle.
Can't disagree with any of that.

OTA will fix a gaping hole in BMW's customer experience delivery, that's for certain.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #633
mlavio829
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post

Just got the car back after the BMW dealer had it for 5 days.
They finally performed the software update. 3/2020.40.
The ConnectedDrive app now works flawlessly.

With that said, I now have the yellow engine light......sigh
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #634
daveshan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2020 M340i

I'm anticipating that I'll need a justification to get my software upgraded during my next routine service. I'm currently on 11/2019, so many of the bluetooth and AirPlay issues are cleaned up.

Does anyone have input on issues that an update from 11/2019 to 3/2020 would fix? Or better yet, a TSB.

Thanks to all.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #635
TheGrok
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Is Sport+ only for the M340? I have a 330 and got Spotify in iDrive but no Sport+. I have Sport and Sport Individual.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #636
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrok View Post
Is Sport+ only for the M340? I have a 330 and got Spotify in iDrive but no Sport+. I have Sport and Sport Individual.
Maybe a country (market) thing or xDrive. I have Sport + on my 330i RWD.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #637
TheGrok
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Maybe a country (market) thing or xDrive. I have Sport + on my 330i RWD.
I have a 330xi in Canada. Have you always had sport+ or only since the update?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #638
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a 330xi in Canada. Have you always had sport+ or only since the update?
Always..... it is standard on the 330i mSport RWD in the U.K.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0