Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Sat Nav Delay Notification / Diversion Issue

07-02-2021, 03:43 AM   #1
ds3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

G20 Sat Nav Delay Notification / Diversion Issue

Hi all,

Recently received my shiny new G20 330e and generally very happy with it, having had a 530e and 330d prior to this.

One thing that's bugging me though. Previous iterations of the nav system have been very quick to notify me of the exact number of minutes delay on the programmed route, and quick to offer sensible diversions which has been a great help.

The new system on the G20, whilst technically excellent, doesn't notify me of the delay in minutes and seems to struggle with diversions. I get the orange / red traffic symbols, but you have to click through, figure out where the delay is, and often a diversion isn't even offered.

For example, yesterday there were serious delays on my route home from work. I noticed this due to the arrival time being drastically later than expected, and the red symbol was showing. However, no obvious notification of the delay, and no diversion offered, despite me knowing plenty of suitable routes (this is my daily commute) and previous systems would have immediately offered a diversion. Indeed, half way home on an alternative route, and she tried to divert my back on to the blocked road adding 2 hours on to my previous eta for no logical reason.

Is this just how the system is now, or am I missing something obvious? I've had a good look around the settings and can't see any way to change this. In terms of the route guidance and information provided it seems a massive step back from the previous system...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

I agree. I see that it shows delays on the map at a particular point - such as a junction actually in the map but it does not give you an overall idea of the delay. If you set your Nav in the old system, for example, in Kent on a Friday afternoon with an intended route to the Midlands, the ETA would have a + sign next to the time to show the expected minutes delay. It would climb in real time as the delay changed. Maybe I'm missing something.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I haven't been in traffic yet, but I see in [Setup Map] I have enabled [Delay Notifications]. Is that only the display on the map?
In the owners manual it says that delay information will show up in a "status field" on the left. It seems to point at the small information field that shows distance to the destination. (It also says that the time to destination is shown there, but the time to destination is shown in the top row so maybe it's wrong on both claims.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
I haven't been in traffic yet, but I see in [Setup Map] I have enabled [Delay Notifications]. Is that only the display on the map?
In the owners manual it says that delay information will show up in a "status field" on the left. It seems to point at the small information field that shows distance to the destination. (It also says that the time to destination is shown there, but the time to destination is shown in the top row so maybe it's wrong on both claims.
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a separate setting that can re-route you based on delays/traffic. I think the options are to have it do it automatically, to prompt you and to turn it off completely. Maybe check that (it's also in the map settings)? I'm assuming if for some reason it's turned off you won't get the delay notifications?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:40 AM   #5
ds3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody320 View Post
If you set your Nav in the old system, for example, in Kent on a Friday afternoon with an intended route to the Midlands, the ETA would have a + sign next to the time to show the expected minutes delay. It would climb in real time as the delay changed. Maybe I'm missing something.
Exactly, that + number was very useful as it separates out the genuine journey time from the actual traffic delays, which helps massively in planning your intentions and making decisions along the way. Can't for the life of me figure out why they would remove that feature...
Appreciate 0