Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications BootMod3 / Mission Performance Tuning Question

06-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

BootMod3 / Mission Performance Tuning Question

Hello!

I just picked up my baby Bella 2 weeks ago. Absolutely loving her so far. Only mod so far is 15% tints all around (should’ve gotten 5) and the M Instrument Cluster and M head unit welcome through Bimmercode. She is fully ceramic coated as well. Name:  D1AC52F1-0EAE-4BFC-90FD-BA3B15F74E9A.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  450.3 KB
Name:  D7382365-09A1-4F04-A12D-97981DDE20AD.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  375.5 KB
Name:  4F203974-C270-424B-8518-E6C0BF91EEE4.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  556.4 KB

I love the stock sound and burbles, but I feel she needs a bit of an oomph. I’ve read some posts on here about the 1st/2nd gear is rapid, but it feels as if it slows down on 3rd. I agree with this.

Now, my concern is with tuning, specially my DME. According to BootMod3, I have the latest software update which blocks me from tuning. They’ve recommended me ship them my DME, and they will unlock it. However, I have no clue how to do that, and honestly can’t be without a car for however long it takes for the DME to get back to me. I just got a remote software update for 11/2019.70. Is this a downgrade from my current software? I literally just purchased my car, and I read people have a 03/2020 update, so why is my car giving me a 11/2019 update? Does anyone know if this update will allow me to tune without an unlock? If not, does anyone know how I can tune without sending my DME. I’m based in Georgia if anyone knows any shops here that can unlock it for me.

Lastly, I plan to order a VRSF Catless DP, a Dinan Axle-Back Exhaust with black tips, Billet cold air intake, and a VRSF charge pipe all together, but I’m hesitant if I can tune the car since it’s receiving upgrades. I’m gonna have the shop straight pipe(muffler delete) the Dinan exhaust. Which tune is better? BM3 stage 2 AGG or MP stage 2?

She’s gonna get blacked out too, if anyone wants my cerium grey parts, let me know. They’re ceramic coated. Also, if anyone knows where I can get good quality parts for a decent price, let me know. I’ve read IKON motorsports has good quality and cheap aftermarket parts.

Last edited by raj914; 06-15-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Gdiddy23905.50
      06-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I'm in the same boat. A 2020 car with latest software. Meaning the DME is locked and only way to unlock is to take the ECU out of the car.

I'm not sure I like this route. Would much prefer the Bootmod3 via OBD2 route.

I wonder how long it'll take to crack the latest code and unlock the DME.

I'm considering JB4 for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Welcome and congrats on the new car!

Couple things to keep in mind IMHO. The way these "which is better" threads normally go is subjective opinion often times gets presented as objective fact. My point is there is no "better or best" just what is best for you based on your own personal criteria and what you value. I'm personally a huge MP fan and have been for years (presently running stage 1 and will be bumping to stage 2 with a catted DP this Thursday when I visit him at his shop) - but that's because it is a great fit for ME and MP delivers on all the points that are important to ME (not taking anything away from BM3, MHD or any others) - we all have our reasons. The fact of the matter is you will likely be happy with whatever flash you choose and will blissfully drive off into the sunset enjoying whatever tune you decide not knowing any different.

Also be aware of vendors here that will often jump in and tell you what is best when in fact they are partnered with the manufacturer of the product they are pushing or maybe it is one of the only piggybacks or flashes they sell or the one they say is a "best seller or the like"

As for the dinan exhaust you mentioned "straight piping" and muffler deleting - please keep in mind your factory oem exhaust is twin piped back from the DP to the muffler and already has zero resonators. The Dinan exhaust simply (and beautifully I might add) adds a new muffler and dual dual exhaust tips to this. Point is you are either straight piped with a muffler delete or you have the dinan exhaust - you can't have both. This in contrast to the B58 equipped F30 340 which came with a single exhaust pipe from the DP back to the muffler that contained dual resonators - for this application Dinan sold a midpipe that deleted both the resonators :-). If it helps - there have been videos posted here with muffler deletes - if you search around a bit you'll find them for reference.

IKON is a pretty good reseller they maintain both a shop here in SoCal and also an online presence on eBay - most all of these companies are getting parts from the same one or two overseas suppliers but IKON wraps this with rather fast shipping and relatively good customer service

Anyhoo hope this helps get you started.

ps- If you have questions about Mission Performance - I would highly recommend you simply pick up the phone and call Alex (owner etc) - MP is a brick and mortar shop here in SoCal so you are not dealing with a virtual company or a network of re-sellers - you will get all your questions answered in regards to their capabilities etc - and yes this is one of my many reasons why I have tuned with MP over the years. I can talk to the actual tuner about my car. He has also been the first to crack every rev that BMW has put out for the B58 back to when it was first introduced - so he will likely have some good insight for you.

Good luck with your build whatever you decide - looking forward to your updates and again welcome!

Last edited by chenry; 06-15-2020 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: typos of course :-)
Appreciate 1
amrh296.50
      06-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Welcome! I also have a PB M340i and got mine ceramic coated within a week or two of owning.

I've posted a few times about the 3rd gear issue I've been noticing. Let me know if you end up figuring anything out with this!

As for tunes- tons of guys on here can give you their experience. Sounds like if you can't wait for an ECU flash, a piggyback is the way to go ATM.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

Couple things to keep in mind IMHO. The way these "which is better" threads normally go is subjective opinion often times gets presented as objective fact. My point is there is no "better or best" just what is best for you based on your own personal criteria and what you value. I'm personally a huge MP fan and have been for years (presently running stage 1 and will be bumping to stage 2 with a catted DP this Thursday when I visit him at his shop) - but that's because it is a great fit for ME and MP delivers on all the points that are important to ME (not taking anything away from BM3, MHD or any others) - we all have our reasons. The fact of the matter is you will likely be happy with whatever flash you choose and will blissfully drive off into the sunset enjoying whatever tune you decide not knowing any different.

Also be aware of vendors here that will often jump in and tell you what is best when in fact they are partnered with the manufacturer of the product they are pushing or maybe it is one of the only piggybacks or flashes they sell or the one they say is a "best seller or the like"

As for the dinan exhaust you mentioned "straight piping" and muffler deleting - please keep in mind your factory oem exhaust is twin piped back from the DP to the muffler and already has zero resonators. The Dinan exhaust simply (and beautifully I might add) adds a new muffler and dual dual exhaust tips to this. Point is you are either straight piped with a muffler delete or you have the dinan exhaust - you can't have both. This in contrast to the B58 equipped F30 340 which came with a single exhaust pipe from the DP back to the muffler that contained dual resonators - for this application Dinan sold a midpipe that deleted both the resonators :-). If it helps - there have been videos posted here with muffler deletes - if you search around a bit you'll find them for reference.

IKON is a pretty good reseller they maintain both a shop here in SoCal and also an online presence on eBay - most all of these companies are getting parts from the same one or two overseas suppliers but IKON wraps this with rather fast shipping and relatively good customer service

ps- If you have questions about Mission Performance - I would highly recommend you simply pick up the phone and call Alex (owner etc) - MP is a brick and mortar shop here in SoCal so you are not dealing with a virtual company or a network of re-sellers - you will get all your questions answered in regards to their capabilities etc - and yes this is one of my many reasons why I have tuned with MP over the years. I can talk to the actual tuner about my car. He has also been the first to crack every rev that BMW has put out for the B58 back to when it was first introduced - so he will likely have some good insight for you.
Excellent post. Really appreciate you taking the time to share your insights and opinions.

It's a shame your guy doesn't have a shop here in Scotland, UK. This is why BM3 seemed to suit my needs. Lots of maps from many a source - all available in the driveway here at home.

To the OP - apologies for the thread hijack
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I have nothing to add except I am also in the Triangle area and have a Portimao Blue G20!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Hi Guys, same boat with new DME that requires unlocking...I've been trying to figure out if there are local shops/tuners who can unlock the DME without having to ship it somewhere.

I have no idea what unlocking entails, but if BM3, Carbahn, MHD, and Mission can do it in their shops, why can't other shops do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
I'm in the same boat. A 2020 car with latest software. Meaning the DME is locked and only way to unlock is to take the ECU out of the car.

I'm not sure I like this route. Would much prefer the Bootmod3 via OBD2 route.

I wonder how long it'll take to crack the latest code and unlock the DME.

I'm considering JB4 for this reason.
Brother, you and me both. I canÂ’t wait for someone to crack the latest code. IÂ’m trying everything I can to not remove the DME.
Appreciate 2
Don76169.00
      06-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:

Good luck with your build whatever you decide - looking forward to your updates and again welcome!
Cheers for the post brother. I really appreciate the insight! For the exhaust, are you saying to just leave it as stock and straight pipe it instead since it’s already two pipes. The reason I wanted to purchase the Dinan was to get another set of pipes and straight pipe those instead. I want to keep the factory DP and factory exhaust in tact in case I need to reinstall them if I need warranty work done. Plus the black quad tips on the Dinan look sick 😍🤤. As far as the tuning goes, I think I may go for whichever flash tune cracks the code for the latest software first. I really don’t want to remove my ECU. Whether it may be BM3 or MP, I think I’ll be satisfied with both. Hopefully, one of the two comes out with a tune via OBD flash real soon. I’ll be an instant buyer upon release 😂. I plan on buying a gloss black front lip, side skirts, rear diffuser, mirror covers, and CS style wing from IKON, as well as, the black diamond grill (but I haven’t found a seller for it yet).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Welcome! I also have a PB M340i and got mine ceramic coated within a week or two of owning.

I've posted a few times about the 3rd gear issue I've been noticing. Let me know if you end up figuring anything out with this!

As for tunes- tons of guys on here can give you their experience. Sounds like if you can't wait for an ECU flash, a piggyback is the way to go ATM.
My ceramic coat came as a dealer installed package. It was $899 and Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC called it Simoniz I believe. The full exterior and some parts of the interior are ceramic coated, and it comes with a lifetime warranty that is applicable at all BMW dealerships.

The first two gears are so rapid man; the torque is absolutely unbelievable. Hopefully the tune will make it feel as such throughout the gearbox instead of just towards the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37b View Post
I have nothing to add except I am also in the Triangle area and have a Portimao Blue G20!
I’m actually located in Georgia. I traveled 350 miles to Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC on a Sunday to pick up the car and 350 miles back home to Savannah, GA with the car. Cheers to Barry Frucht at Leith BMW! Great guy, gave me a hell of a deal!
Appreciate 1
37b86.00
      06-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiveyCJ View Post
Hi Guys, same boat with new DME that requires unlocking...I've been trying to figure out if there are local shops/tuners who can unlock the DME without having to ship it somewhere.

I have no idea what unlocking entails, but if BM3, Carbahn, MHD, and Mission can do it in their shops, why can't other shops do it?
That’s what I’m hoping for. If anyone knows of any shops in Georgia/South Carolina/Florida that will unlock my DME for me, please let me know ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let's hope the fellas at protuning freaks are on the case. They always seem to crack it eventually.
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      06-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj914 View Post
For the exhaust, are you saying to just leave it as stock and straight pipe it instead since it’s already two pipes. The reason I wanted to purchase the Dinan was to get another set of pipes and straight pipe those instead. I want to keep the factory DP and factory exhaust in tact in case I need to reinstall them if I need warranty work done. Plus the black quad tips on the Dinan look sick 😍🤤.
Here is a diagram of your stock exhaust - stock or Dinan - your exhaust is basically already "straight piped" from the DP to the Muffler. This holds true whether you decide to do a muffler delete or switch to the Dinan exhaust (which is essentially a muffler replacement with quad tips) The Dinan exhaust attaches at diagram points 18 & 19 :-)

That said also keep in mind the net HP gains from an exhaust on this car are negligible - do it for sound and cosmetics not for performance

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here is a diagram of your stock exhaust - stock or Dinan - your exhaust is basically already "straight piped" from the DP to the Muffler. This holds true whether you decide to do a muffler delete or switch to the Dinan exhaust (which is essentially a muffler replacement with quad tips) The Dinan exhaust attaches at diagram points 18 & 19 :-)

That said also keep in mind the net HP gains from an exhaust on this car are negligible - do it for sound and cosmetics not for performance

Hope this helps
Yes, I understand what you're saying. I've taken it to a local shop here, and they raised her up to take a look. I believe the Dinan pipes are a bit bigger than factory which makes it less restrictive and the quad tips end up being 102mm which is insane! I do not know if it is possible to get quad tips with just the factory exhaust. So do you think it would be worth buying the Dinan exhaust and doing a muffler delete on it for the sake of saving my stock pipes for warranty work? Or, should i just keep the factory pipes and do a muffler delete on it. The shop quoted me $150 for a muffler delete and welding new stainless steel pipes. Also, another $150 for the catless DP install. I'm not worried about the performance when it comes to exhaust; mainly the sound + cosmetics (black quad tips)

Here are pics of the exhaust when they lifted her up.
Name:  690F3FC3-D958-4E2C-B39E-E41D910D0C26.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  327.1 KB
Name:  D6F1565D-E1C6-4FF2-ABC0-CB487BBB2BF3.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  304.8 KB
Name:  68A36C90-2741-41CE-AD87-E6BCA782B445.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  363.5 KB
Name:  71655308-FD66-46F7-A6CD-BCF6DBB6F2C5.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  339.4 KB

Last edited by raj914; 06-15-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #16
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
YSo do you think it would be worth buying the Dinan exhaust and doing a muffler delete on it for the sake of saving my stock pipes for warranty work? Or, should i just keep the factory pipes and do a muffler delete on it.
Based on what you have shared I would either A- do a muffler delete either with the stock exhaust finishers or have your trusted shop put quad exhaust tips onto the muffler delete or B-run the Dinan exhaust as is

If you are debating between a muffler delete vs Dinan exhaust - I would start with a muffler delete. And if you like the sound - I would then move onto quad tips. If you don't like the sound I would then install the Dinan exhaust.

Just my 2-cents based on your questions and the options you have presented.

Anxious to see and hear what you decide - good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
37b
☠️
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
I’m actually located in Georgia. I traveled 350 miles to Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC on a Sunday to pick up the car and 350 miles back home to Savannah, GA with the car. Cheers to Barry Frucht at Leith BMW! Great guy, gave me a hell of a deal!
Funny I drove south an hour for a better deal than anything local. I guess timing is everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #18
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Funny I drove south an hour for a better deal than anything local. I guess timing is everything.
Man, can’t beat $0 down and 0.9% APR. Shoutout to the rona!

MSRP was right around 66k, I got them down to 59k, and with tax title tag everything, it was 62k out the door. On top of that, I added tire and wheel protection, simoniz carbon ceramic glass coat, extended maintenance, and gap insurance. The total financed amount came out to be right about 65k. $1100 a month/60 months. Got a hell of a deal.

The car has every option except remote start and wireless charging. I wish it had these two, but I can live without em. This was the most fully optioned blue I could find nationwide.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #19
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Quote:
Man, can’t beat $0 down and 0.9% APR. Shoutout to the rona!

MSRP was right around 66k, I got them down to 59k, and with tax title tag everything, it was 62k out the door. On top of that, I added tire and wheel protection, simoniz carbon ceramic glass coat, extended maintenance, and gap insurance. The total financed amount came out to be right about 65k. $1100 a month/60 months. Got a hell of a deal.

The car has every option except remote start and wireless charging. I wish it had these two, but I can live without em. This was the most fully optioned blue I could find nationwide.
$1,100/month!!! Dude, pick up a M4CS for that amount.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #20
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if there are software version restrictions but if you are willing to keep your key card in the car remote start can often be added by aftermarket tuners. I'm having mine enabled tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #21
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if there are software version restrictions but if you are willing to keep your key card in the car remote start can often be added by aftermarket tuners. I'm having mine enabled tomorrow.
Let me know how it’s done. I’m interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #22
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Let me know how it’s done. I’m interested.
i had my car flashed to stage 2 today with Mission Performance - while doing so Alex (MP) enabled my remote start (which my car didn't come with)I asked him if this was a stand alone option he would offer and he said it was only in combination with an engine flash/tune.

note:
your keycard or spare key must be in the car to make this work

hope this helps provide some clarity
Appreciate 0