Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB+ on G20 First Impressions

06-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #309
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw86 View Post
I've definitely noticed a decrease in the pops and burbles. I just had the M Performance exhaust installed two weeks ago and the difference is night and day since I installed the JB last week. Since I paid 2K essentially for the exhaust, I am going to remove the JB+ because otherwise my exhaust upgrade feels like a waste of money. Sort of bummed.
Did you code sport+ in? I don’t remember pops and burbles decreasing because of my JB+. I have a JB4 now and it pops and burbles a lot in sport+ mode. In normal sport mode, not much. But it’s definitely there.
Is your JB4 on a 330i? if so, how did you find the power difference?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #310
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
Is your JB4 on a 330i? if so, how did you find the power difference?
It is on a 330i. I’m running it on a roughly E30 mix and I love it. Car is so much more responsive. No regrets at all. I have a thread about it in this forum.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #311
Outlaw86
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I

I took mine off because I planned on selling it and I'm not so sure I noticed it being louder with it off. Maybe it's all in my head at this point haha. Selling the JB+ to try out another route, but I did love the extra power it provided for two minutes of work.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      06-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #312
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw86 View Post
I took mine off because I planned on selling it and I'm not so sure I noticed it being louder with it off. Maybe it's all in my head at this point haha. Selling the JB+ to try out another route, but I did love the extra power it provided for two minutes of work.
Yup. I always attribute it to my mind playing games when things sound or feel different at first

What are you planning on getting?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #313
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

reading your reviews I decided to go ahead and order the JB+. sounds like the pefect fit for what I'm looking for: moderate and noticeable power bump (around F30 335 power) and easy install/uninstall. Hopefully won't have any issues
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:53 PM   #314
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

question though, considering the Canadian weather and the fact I only have access to 91 octane fuel, should I go forward with the JB+ install or not recommended in your opinions
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #315
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
question though, considering the Canadian weather and the fact I only have access to 91 octane fuel, should I go forward with the JB+ install or not recommended in your opinions
I’ve been using mine with 92 octane in seattle. No issues on my end
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #316
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So I was looking at the PTF ots tunes and all I see are B48 tunes. Are those the tunes people use on their 330i's with the B46 as well? my obd to ethernet cable is being delivered today so I will be able send my DME info to Bootmod3 to see if I can be flashed without having a bench unlock done.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #317
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I’ve been using mine with 92 octane in seattle. No issues on my end
good to know thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #318
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Well I tried to flash my 2020 330i today. Sent my DEM software info to PTF and they confirmed that I should be able to flash my vehicle. When I got my activation key I couldn't even enter it as the ECU kept kicking out my connection every 4 seconds and then would reconnect and it would just keep doing the same thing. All cables were brand new and I was monitoring my ethernet connection via my MacBook and the connection light on the usb-c to ethernet adapter and connection was always active. I also tried with Windows PC and plugged the ethernet directly in the PC and still had the same issue. So I asked for a refund and I'll have to go the piggy back route. My car is about 2 weeks old, so I'm guessing it's a software compatibility issue somewhere. I am located in Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #319
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

just installed the jb+ this morning. opened it before install and the dial was at 75% from the max dialed it back 50% (3 O'clock).
managed not to break the grey tab by disconnecting it from the inside with a very thin fork prong(#improv).
Went for a drive it's not and never will be M340 like but there is a difference. the car seems to pull harder with mild-mod improvement in smoothness
Next car hopefully will be straight-6 engine
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #320
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
just installed the jb+ this morning. opened it before install and the dial was at 75% from the max dialed it back 50% (3 O'clock).
managed not to break the grey tab by disconnecting it from the inside with a very thin fork prong(#improv).
Went for a drive it's not and never will be M340 like but there is a difference. the car seems to pull harder with mild-mod improvement in smoothness
Next car hopefully will be straight-6 engine
Agree. Tried 100% briefly and didn’t notice a huge difference in my day to day. Left it at 75%. Contemplating JB4, although may just wait a while until we know what unlocking will be like for BM3 in future with OTA updates. Also with Supra now with the I4, May have future options as well for 330.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #321
JuiceCrab
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i M Sport

Hey crew

Small hickup in my JB+ experience I need a take on. I have been running it on 100% for the last 3-4 months since first purchased, 0 issues to date.

Took the car in for a service (removed module before hand), received car back, re-installed the JB+, took it for a quick spin and noticed the check engine light was on (solid amber). Opened the bonnet to see if something had come loose and to my surprise the yellow wire on the JB+ had come loose. I imagine this has caused the CEL to come on.

I've removed the JB+, CEL still remains. I'm guessing the computer freaked out when no TMAP sensor data was being received and now has an error logged.

Car runs fine (no reduced power etc) and normal. I'm going to have to go back to the dealership and get them to reset the code I guess.

Question: Is the car safe to drive in the interim? My thoughts were yes, but thought I'd check with some more experienced users first.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #322
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceCrab View Post
Hey crew

Small hickup in my JB+ experience I need a take on. I have been running it on 100% for the last 3-4 months since first purchased, 0 issues to date.

Took the car in for a service (removed module before hand), received car back, re-installed the JB+, took it for a quick spin and noticed the check engine light was on (solid amber). Opened the bonnet to see if something had come loose and to my surprise the yellow wire on the JB+ had come loose. I imagine this has caused the CEL to come on.

I've removed the JB+, CEL still remains. I'm guessing the computer freaked out when no TMAP sensor data was being received and now has an error logged.

Car runs fine (no reduced power etc) and normal. I'm going to have to go back to the dealership and get them to reset the code I guess.

Question: Is the car safe to drive in the interim? My thoughts were yes, but thought I'd check with some more experienced users first.

Thank you
Do you have a code reader? If not, it’s always nice to have one just in case. Or you can first take it to an autozone or something where they’ll read the code and can also clear it if it was because of the JB+ and it has been removed now.
Dealership should be the last option when it comes to a tuned car. Piggyback or not.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #323
JuiceCrab
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Do you have a code reader? If not, it’s always nice to have one just in case. Or you can first take it to an autozone or something where they’ll read the code and can also clear it if it was because of the JB+ and it has been removed now.
Dealership should be the last option when it comes to a tuned car. Piggyback or not.
Just ran car this morning. After around 1 hour of run time the CEL went off thankfully. I'll keep the original post above in case anyone is troubleshooting the same issue.

Also regarding code reading, I'm in Australia, anyone knowledgeable about auto shops here having code readers available?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #324
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceCrab View Post
Just ran car this morning. After around 1 hour of run time the CEL went off thankfully. I'll keep the original post above in case anyone is troubleshooting the same issue.

Also regarding code reading, I'm in Australia, anyone knowledgeable about auto shops here having code readers available?
I totally overlooked the location. I'm sure most autoshops/garages will have code readers. Or you can buy one from Amazon/eBay. Those USB dongles aren't expensive.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 05:07 AM   #325
ccv19
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Installed the JB+ today - very easy, plug and play in less than a minute. I like how one can easily take it off when taking the car to the dealership for services.

Went for a quick drive and can appreciate the improvement in power delivery. It's about a 10-15% improvement but that's enough to transform the car into something quite a bit more fun. The road was a bit damp today and managed to activate the traction control/ESC on a couple of corner exits. Wish I've ordered the m-sport differentials now (didn't think it was necessary on a 4 cylinder car &#128514.
Interested to know how this is going now that you have owned it for over 12 months?

Looking to do a small upgrade such as the JB+ so would like to hear your thoughts here mate?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #326
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccv19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Installed the JB+ today - very easy, plug and play in less than a minute. I like how one can easily take it off when taking the car to the dealership for services.

Went for a quick drive and can appreciate the improvement in power delivery. It's about a 10-15% improvement but that's enough to transform the car into something quite a bit more fun. The road was a bit damp today and managed to activate the traction control/ESC on a couple of corner exits. Wish I've ordered the m-sport differentials now (didn't think it was necessary on a 4 cylinder car &#128514.
Interested to know how this is going now that you have owned it for over 12 months?

Looking to do a small upgrade such as the JB+ so would like to hear your thoughts here mate?
No issues at all. Definitely notice a power decrease when I have to take it off before servicing the car at the dealership. I don't really push the car hard but really appreciate the smoother and stronger acceleration that the JB+ offers.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #327
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 330xi

Has anyone run this compared to the Dinantronics Sport? They seem very similar and I'm wondering if there are any major differences. The Dinan has two separate things to plug in while the JB+ only has the single point of contact... that must do something different, no?

Last edited by ruczko; 11-09-2020 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:19 AM   #328
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruczko View Post
Has anyone run this compared to the Dinantronics Sport? They seem very similar and I'm wondering if there are any major differences. The Dinan has two separate things to plug in while the JB+ only has the single point of contact... that must do something different, no?
Yup. More sensors to trick should mean slightly more power the car makes. Ideally. The JB+ plugs into the TMAP sensor whereas it's big brother, the JB4, plugs into the TMAP and MAP sensors (and also the EWG controller in my case). The JB4 definitely makes more power. Not sure which ones the Dinan connects to but it should also, theoretically, be better than the JB+ if it tricks more sensors.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #329
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 330xi

Quote:
Quote:
Yup. More sensors to trick should mean slightly more power the car makes. Ideally. The JB+ plugs into the TMAP sensor whereas it's big brother, the JB4, plugs into the TMAP and MAP sensors (and also the EWG controller in my case). The JB4 definitely makes more power. Not sure which ones the Dinan connects to but it should also, theoretically, be better than the JB+ if it tricks more sensors.
That makes sense to me. Everyone just seems to think the difference is the Bluetooth function and app but I would love to know what both end points are connected to. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #330
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense to me. Everyone just seems to think the difference is the Bluetooth function and app but I would love to know what both end points are connected to. Anyone know?
You mean JB+ vs JB4? Or JB+ vs Dinan? I have not had any experience with any Dinan products but I know for a fact that both JB+ and JB4 work well
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0