Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Possible JB+ Issue? - Drivetrain malfunction

06-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Possible JB+ Issue? - Drivetrain malfunction

So quick story time, I got myself into a little situation yesterday. I was driving on the highway pretty spiritedly and wound up getting myself pulled over . I was driving at about 75-80 in sport+(coded with bimmercode) and with the JB+ turned up to 100%. I thought I was safe so I decided to floor it up until about 95-100, when I looked in my rear view mirror I saw a cop speeding up to me (obviously to pull me over) so I hit the brakes pretty hard. He got close enough to lick my bumper and then lit me up and at that moment I got a drivetrain malfunction warning. The message said something along the lines of you can continue driving with weakened output and to have it checked out by the service center. I restarted the car before I pulled away and the error is completely gone, all systems normal. I even scanned the car with the MX+ scan tool and I dont see any codes thrown. Maybe it could have just been air starved for a second because I went from WOT to hard braking at high speeds but I dont know, maybe it was just god hitting me with insta karma. Anyone have a similar issue or any ideas?

I will probably turn the JB+ dial back down to the default setting just to be safe.

For anyone who cares, I was lucky enough to get out of the speeding tickets with a PBA card , but I did get one for improper plates, which I though was fair because I dont have a front plate in NY, but no it was for my BACK one. Apparently in Jersey you cant have a slim license plate from LOL WTF. I have the one from bmw's website it doesnt block anything, but I figured it was a small fine just take it and pay it, no points and it couldve been much worse

Last edited by JSaid; 06-12-2020 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I ran my jb+ at 100% from day 2 itself. I've done multiple spirited runs and the car didn't throw a fit. Even with my jb4, I'm running more boost than a JB+ at 100% and zero issues so far. Since it happened only once and no codes were registered, maybe wait and see if it ever happens again? I've had something similar happen in my A4 and it happened only once, never again.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
JSaid286.00
      06-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Had this in my car for over 10k, no issues yet, had my last f30 tuned as well for 130k with no issues. However it's always a gamble, I service my own car and have owned both cars from day 1 so at least I know the have been properly maintain and had no prior issues
      06-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I ran my jb+ at 100% from day 2 itself. I've done multiple spirited runs and the car didn't throw a fit. Even with my jb4, I'm running more boost than a JB+ at 100% and zero issues so far. Since it happened only once and no codes were registered, maybe wait and see if it ever happens again? I've had something similar happen in my A4 and it happened only once, never again.
Yeah maybe it was just a software fart I'll just wait to see if it comes back
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
So quick story time, I got myself into a little situation yesterday. I was driving on the highway pretty spiritedly and wound up getting myself pulled over . I was driving at about 75-80 in sport+(coded with bimmercode) and with the JB+ turned up to 100%. I thought I was safe so I decided to floor it up until about 95-100, when I looked in my rear view mirror I saw a cop speeding up to me (obviously to pull me over) so I hit the brakes pretty hard. He got close enough to lick my bumper and then lit me up and at that moment I got a drivetrain malfunction warning. The message said something along the lines of you can continue driving with weakened output and to have it checked out by the service center. I restarted the car before I pulled away and the error is completely gone, all systems normal. I even scanned the car with the MX+ scan tool and I dont see any codes thrown. Maybe it could have just been air starved for a second because I went from WOT to hard braking at high speeds but I dont know, maybe it was just god hitting me with insta karma. Anyone have a similar issue or any ideas?

I will probably turn the JB+ dial back down to the default setting just to be safe.

For anyone who cares, I was lucky enough to get out of the speeding tickets with a PBA card , but I did get one for improper plates, which I though was fair because I dont have a front plate in NY, but no it was for my BACK one. Apparently in Jersey you cant have a slim license plate from LOL WTF. I have the one from bmw's website it doesnt block anything, but I figured it was a small fine just take it and pay it, no points and it couldve been much worse
Hey bro , glad you got out that speeding ticket 😂 but I was wondering if the service center said anything about the sports plus coded ? I just got the drivetrain malfunction on my screen as soon as I turned on the car . Was literally doing nothing just hopped in my car to go grab food and got hit with that. I made a appointment for Monday , my cars fully stock just have sports plus coded in. Do you think they can void warranty over that?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_shub View Post
Hey bro , glad you got out that speeding ticket 😂 but I was wondering if the service center said anything about the sports plus coded ? I just got the drivetrain malfunction on my screen as soon as I turned on the car . Was literally doing nothing just hopped in my car to go grab food and got hit with that. I made a appointment for Monday , my cars fully stock just have sports plus coded in. Do you think they can void warranty over that?
They shouldn't care. I've taken my car in with all my coding in place. I even got an update at the service center. Sport plus was coded in. Car was also coded to start in sport individual. They didn't say anything. Zero issues.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #7
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Quote:
They shouldn't care. I've taken my car in with all my coding in place. I even got an update at the service center. Sport plus was coded in. Car was also coded to start in sport individual. They didn't say anything. Zero issues.
Quote:
Quote:
Hey thanks for getting back so fast. Glad they won't care about little things like that , I actually just went back in my car after I replied to you , and surprisingly both the drivetrain malfunction notice and the weird sound I was hearing went away.. I think I should still take in the car on Monday to make sure everything's good . Thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for getting back so fast. Glad they won't care about little things like that , I actually just went back in my car after I replied to you , and surprisingly both the drivetrain malfunction notice and the weird sound I was hearing went away.. I think I should still take in the car on Monday to make sure everything's good . Thoughts ?
I've got drivetrain malfunctions but that was because I added too much ethanol. If it went away and there are no codes, you can wait and see. If it comes back, you can take it in if you want. Sometimes bad fuel can cause these errors.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Nah they won't void your warranty over that. So this happened to me just about a year ago and since turning my car off and back on it has been perfectly fine the entire time, no other issues . I've also been into service a bunch of times and no one cares about the coding. I always make sure to revert to stock before bringing the car in but I have a buddy that works as a mechanic at the BMW dealer near me. He also confirmed that no one cares about it. I have sport plus coded in with a jb+ for ~2 years, upgrading to an m340 soon and I'm planning on sticking with the jb+ (maybe a jb4 or something else since I'm not leasing this one) and don't expect any issues with that one either! They'll only void your warranty if they can prove your modifications have caused the issue
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Just wanted to add my experience with the JB+ and getting codes. Maybe it depends on the year of the car (I have a 21). Anyways, my car ran flawlessly pretty much after disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu. I ran into a whole bunch of periodic things until I did that.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
I've had my JB+ set to 100% for 13 months with no issues.
      02-07-2023, 08:06 AM   #12
Rspade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:

For anyone who cares, I was lucky enough to get out of the speeding tickets with a PBA card , but I did get one for improper plates, which I though was fair because I dont have a front plate in NY, but no it was for my BACK one. Apparently in Jersey you cant have a slim license plate from LOL WTF. I have the one from bmw's website it doesnt block anything, but I figured it was a [...]
This happened to me last night. Took off hit about 100 then all the sudden drivetrain malfunction then it went away. Did you have that problem again ?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 03:02 PM   #13
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspade View Post
This happened to me last night. Took off hit about 100 then all the sudden drivetrain malfunction then it went away. Did you have that problem again ?
Nope it was only that once, never came back for the rest of the time I owned the car (only until November 2021). I had the car looked over by a friend who's a tech at BMW and didn't see any problems. I'd recommend checking for error codes with bimmerlink just to double check but I wouldn't worry about it.

Did it go away when you restarted the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:23 AM   #14
hayko_M340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Quote:

Code in Sport+ ? The M340's have sport + from factory unless its a 330I...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayko_M340 View Post
Code in Sport+ ? The M340's have sport + from factory unless its a 330I...
Yeah this is my old '19 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 02:36 PM   #16
hayko_M340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Quote:
Yeah this is my old '19 330i
Ah makes sense lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 10:50 PM   #17
Rspade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340

Garage List
2020 bmw m340  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope it was only that once, never came back for the rest of the time I owned the car (only until November 2021). I had the car looked over by a friend who's a tech at BMW and didn't see any problems. I'd recommend checking for error codes with bimmerlink just to double check but I wouldn't worry about it.

Did it go away when you restarted the car?
Yeah it went away as soon as turned off car and back on. I’m thinking had something to do w the tune. Car ecu just had to adapt
Appreciate 0