Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance | Flashing latest firmware over OBD | No ECU removal | S58

06-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #23
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
sorry there should be info under the picture i posted from IG stating that the car is an X3M - maybe it's not coming through on some screens (i know with the mobile app you have to click on it for it to expand) - apologies if i caused confusion (let me know if you can't see it on your end and i'll revise)

And yes I'm certainly going to broach the subject with Alex tomorrow when i see him and will be more than happy to share what he shares with me :-)

Thanks!

Chris (aka #1 MP Fan haha)
Please let him know he has eager customers ready to pay 😁
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      06-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #24
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
sorry there should be info under the picture i posted from IG stating that the car is an X3M - maybe it's not coming through on some screens (i know with the mobile app you have to click on it for it to expand) - apologies if i caused confusion (let me know if you can't see it on your end and i'll revise)

And yes I'm certainly going to broach the subject with Alex tomorrow when i see him and will be more than happy to share what he shares with me :-)

Thanks!

Chris (aka #1 MP Fan haha)
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #25
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

So here is what was shared and explained to me today….

Alex/Mission Performance absolutely, presently has the capability to remote flash tune ANY BMW regardless of software rev or model. That said he is currently only offering remote flash tunes on older revs (early production) of software where other tuners are already playing (cough cough after him haha). When he will bring remote flash/tune for later revs to market I do not know….that is up to him (stating the obvious). Why the hesitation – others have speculated – I will not.

For now he is staying with clients that can visit him, send their cars and those that send him their DME.

As for sending in a DME – I did mention that there was a "need" for a "how to" for DME removal. That said he used my car – and snapped some pics that he said he would use/publish as a DIY removal guide. I witnessed and learned watching him it is about a 3 min process and is remarkably simple (do not hesitate to do this)

Aforementioned aside – he gave me a ride in his X3M on full E85 pushing almost 30lbs of boost. Holy Sh*t I have nothing to compare it to other than a tesla on ludicrous mode. Honestly and sincerely – after the runs this 49 year old guy and my Son were just laughing and clapping – I didn't know what else to do and it seemed appropriate. New M3/4 is going to be nuts when tuned like this.

Back to our M340's….I'm now running stage 2 with my CG Precision catted downpipe and I couldn't be happier – the power delivery is like I have said before….as if you checked a factory option box that said "hell yes I want more power" Smooth and linear - pulling like a freight train

Anyhoo – I hope this helps – I've shared what I now know – anything additional I would suggest you simply pick up the phone and call Alex – super great guy to work with (as long as you want to work with him - if you want flames or dyno glory tunes he will likely tell you to go elsewhere - just my 2-cents).

random shots from today - gapping my plugs, X3M, DP install (by him) and a small section of the shop where my car was parked

oh and he enabled remote start for me - super cool - wasn't expecting that
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 06-18-2020 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: typos of course :-)
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #26
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Great news. When I called him last week he said it was a quick process to remove the DME but I did a search and couldn’t find anything on how to do it. I don’t have much of an issue sending it to him but it is a pain since I’m on the east coast. Good thinking about getting him to do a “how to” on the DME removal.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #27
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
So here is what was shared and explained to me today….

Alex/Mission Performance absolutely, presently has the capability to remote flash tune ANY BMW regardless of software rev or model. That said he is currently only offering remote flash tunes on older revs (early production) of software where other tuners are already playing (cough cough after him haha). When he will bring remote flash/tune for later revs to market I do not know….that is up to him (stating the obvious). Why the hesitation – others have speculated – I will not.

For now he is staying with clients that can visit him, send their cars and those that send him their DME.

As for sending in a DME – I did mention that there was a "need" for a "how to" for DME removal. That said he used my car – and snapped some pics that he said he would use/publish as a DIY removal guide. I witnessed and learned watching him it is about a 3 min process and is remarkably simple (do not hesitate to do this)

Aforementioned aside – he gave me a ride in his X3M on full E85 pushing almost 30lbs of boost. Holy Sh*t I have nothing to compare it to other than a tesla on ludicrous mode. Honestly and sincerely – after the runs this 49 year old guy and my Son were just laughing and clapping – I didn't know what else to do and it seemed appropriate. New M3/4 is going to be nuts when tuned like this.

Back to our M340's….I'm now running stage 2 with my CG Precision catted downpipe and I couldn't be happier – the power delivery is like I have said before….as if you checked a factory option box that said "hell yes I want more power" Smooth and linear - pulling like a freight train

Anyhoo – I hope this helps – I've shared what I now know – anything additional I would suggest you simply pick up the phone and call Alex – super great guy to work with (as long as you want to work with him - if you want flames or dyno glory tunes he will likely tell you to go elsewhere - just my 2-cents).

random shots from today - gapping my plugs, X3M, DP install (by him) and a small section of the shop where my car was parked

oh and he enabled remote start for me - super cool - wasn't expecting that
Ahhh, I wish he would remotely flash mine. :/ Anyways, I may consider sending him my DME if he posts a guide.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I heard that Dinan will offer a flash soon. Hope to hear more soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #29
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I downloaded the bootmod3 program on my laptop today and plugged it into OBD2.

Sent the software versions to them and they've confirmed remote flashing (via bootmod3 at least) is not yet possible.

They've advised to bench unlock the ECU then they can cater for my needs.

Many tuners will bench unlock - but they all then want to perform the tune. I just want an unlock then tune myself via Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #30
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

So, he could be remote tuning cars right now but won't? I just really don't understand that. I really want to get a tune and I'm happy to pay good money for it. Just don't want to tamper with my ECU/remove it/have my car out of commission... I think most don't. I just don't get from a business or even ethical standpoint...

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #31
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
So, he could be remote tuning cars right now but won't? I just really don't understand that. I really want to get a tune and I'm happy to pay good money for it. Just don't want to tamper with my ECU/remove it/have my car out of commission... I think most don't. I just don't get from a business or even ethical standpoint...
I don’t understand either from a business standpoint. He should incentivize to sell to the market if he is the only one who can do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:14 AM   #32
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
I just don't get from a business or even ethical standpoint...
Sincerely not seeking to be argumentative (because I have no argument to make - my tone here is friendly and inquisitive)

I am curious what you mean to express when you mention an ethical standpoint - not an angle I had really thought about but I am open minded and all ears. And curious what you have to say.

That said if you want to simply say "pass" I respect that too if you don't want to bother :-)

Motor on

Last edited by chenry; 06-20-2020 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: added dancing BMW to ensure tone was understood
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #33
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sincerely not seeking to be argumentative (because I have no argument to make - my tone here is friendly and inquisitive)

I am curious what you mean to express when you mention an ethical standpoint - not an angle I had really thought about but I am open minded and all ears. And curious what you have to say.

That said if you want to simply say "pass" I respect that too if you don't want to bother :-)

Motor on
Sorry that was probably the wrong term to use, I was tired and half asleep (and maybe a little grumpy that I'm on call all weekend again). I just meant that he has the ability to give the majority of the enthusiast community what they want and have been waiting for, but is choosing not to and not even giving a valid reason. I don't know, just seems kind of off to me. Its a free country and he can do what he wants of course, I just don't have to like it

On a side note I appreciate your calm response and your friendly tone- its refreshing, as many on here get butthurt and angry right away

Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      06-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #34
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I’m ready to get a tune ASAP. I’m going to call Alex to get pics of removing the DME and if it’s easy enough I’ll send it.

I’ve talked to ProTuning and it’s the same way with them, I would have to send it in. I called one of their authorized dealers and luckily enough, it is in my town so that would be easiest. However when I called the local dealer they hadn’t done one yet and were supposed to call me back and it’s been two days so maybe they don’t want to deal with it. Price is the best though, probably around $600.

I also called Carbahn and one of the authorized dealers (BMW dealership) is close to me. Same thing, I would have to leave my car there and they would have to ship my DME to them to flash. With the warranty they are the most expensive at $750 for the flash and $750 for the warranty.

I am leaning towards Mission if I have to send it out and their pricing is in between BM3 and Carbahn at about $1000. It was nice talking to Alex and he seemed to be the most helpful with the questions I had. The only difference with Mission is he said I would have to get the plugs gapped down and the others said I didn’t need it so there is some extra money for that. Anyone know why Mission requires regapping the plugs?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #35
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I'm ready to get a tune ASAP. I'm going to call Alex to get pics of removing the DME and if it's easy enough I'll send it.

I've talked to ProTuning and it's the same way with them, I would have to send it in. I called one of their authorized dealers and luckily enough, it is in my town so that would be easiest. However when I called the local dealer they hadn't done one yet and were supposed to call me back and it's been two days so maybe they don't want to deal with it. Price is the best though, probably around $600.

I also called Carbahn and one of the authorized dealers (BMW dealership) is close to me. Same thing, I would have to leave my car there and they would have to ship my DME to them to flash. With the warranty they are the most expensive at $750 for the flash and $750 for the warranty.

I am leaning towards Mission if I have to send it out and their pricing is in between BM3 and Carbahn at about $1000. It was nice talking to Alex and he seemed to be the most helpful with the questions I had. The only difference with Mission is he said I would have to get the plugs gapped down and the others said I didn't need it so there is some extra money for that. Anyone know why Mission requires regapping the plugs?
I believe it's a recommendation, but not required. Not sure why.

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #36
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

What are peoples thoughts of installing this on a leased M340i?
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #37
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps335i View Post
What are peoples thoughts of installing this on a leased M340i?
I've been running Mission Performance Stage 2 with VRSF catless for 6000 miles now on my lease. I just use a friend's independent shop for maintenance. I've spoken to the dealer to be sure doing maintenance there is okay and got it all written in emails just in case.

I'm not sure if dealers would see anything right away for regular maintenance, but it is easy enough to flash back to stock in case you do need to bring it in.
Appreciate 2
MAKH 587.00
      06-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #38
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Does anyone know what the cutoff version number is for the firmware? I have been debating running my JB4 with the MHD BEF map. I ordered the wifi dongle to perform the flash for mission. & i have the map ready for my car. But i'm not sure if the version of the car applies to this for type of flashing as well? Meaning can I flash it without sending the DME in?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:56 AM   #39
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetey View Post
Does anyone know what the cutoff version number is for the firmware? I have been debating running my JB4 with the MHD BEF map. I ordered the wifi dongle to perform the flash for mission. & i have the map ready for my car. But i'm not sure if the version of the car applies to this for type of flashing as well? Meaning can I flash it without sending the DME in?
I contacted the chaps at bootmod3 on this. They advised to hook the cable up, start the process and it tells you the software version.

I then took a screenshot and sent my info to them. Sadly, they confirmed my DME was locked.

Here's my version if it helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iPetey69.00
      06-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #40
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thank you @Don76, i'm wondering if i can do this with MHD F+G Chassis App, might just have to see what it says when i connect the app but i just wanted to make sure that there is no potential way to immobilize myself by ruining my DME. lol.
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      06-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #41
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetey View Post
Thank you @Don76, i'm wondering if i can do this with MHD F+G Chassis App, might just have to see what it says when i connect the app but i just wanted to make sure that there is no potential way to immobilize myself by ruining my DME. lol.
I'm sure if you use the BM3 tool as I did you can then share the software version with your tuner. They'll recognise the codes.

It's free and safe, so no worries on that front 👍
Appreciate 1
iPetey69.00
      06-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #42
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I’m ready to get a tune ASAP. I’m going to call Alex to get pics of removing the DME and if it’s easy enough I’ll send it.

I’ve talked to ProTuning and it’s the same way with them, I would have to send it in. I called one of their authorized dealers and luckily enough, it is in my town so that would be easiest. However when I called the local dealer they hadn’t done one yet and were supposed to call me back and it’s been two days so maybe they don’t want to deal with it. Price is the best though, probably around $600.

I am leaning towards Mission if I have to send it out and their pricing is in between BM3 and Carbahn at about $1000. It was nice talking to Alex and he seemed to be the most helpful with the questions I had. The only difference with Mission is he said I would have to get the plugs gapped down and the others said I didn’t need it so there is some extra money for that. Anyone know why Mission requires regapping the plugs?

I see you're in MD, I'm in SE PA and Thompson BMW in Doyelstown has the tool required to unlock the DME onsite. Carbahn said a few dealers are piloting this process. I have (2) BM3 dealers in my area but neither can unlock on site
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #43
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Seeing as how far complaining and protesting gets people these days, I came here to complain and protest that Mission won't release the OBD unlock.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #44
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm booked in to a local tuner on Friday. DME unlock, BM3 install and catless DP fitted.

Having a shop unlock on site and then install BM3 seems the best we can hope for at the moment.
Appreciate 0