Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW recommends Shell gas, but it's more expensive than other brands

01-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
As most of you know, BMW recommends Shell gas for our BMWs. Maybe for that reason, Shell premium is a rip off in my area. Shell premium is $.50 more expensive than regular. It is currently $3.89 per gallon in the Seattle area. ARCO premium is $3.25. ARCO is a top tier gas. ARCO charges $.30 per gallon more for premium than regular.

So I only use Shell when my grocery points gives me more than $.70 per gallon off which is rare.
I filled up with a tank of ARCO a few months back at a sketchy station up in Everett and got a check engine light after a few days. it stayed on until I filled up again with Chevron and went away maybe a day after that fill up. Not saying it's related but it's suspicious. Had not had a CEL before or since. Have not filled up with ARCO before or since.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #24
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I filled up with a tank of ARCO a few months back at a sketchy station up in Everett and got a check engine light after a few days. it stayed on until I filled up again with Chevron and went away maybe a day after that fill up. Not saying it's related but it's suspicious. Had not had a CEL before or since. Have not filled up with ARCO before or since.
I use ARCO about 90% of the time. I have for more than 10 years. I have never had a problem with their gas.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11091.00
      01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
Jekyllmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Wrong, most people would prefer to save the $7 per fill up. That adds up fast, especially since these cars go through gas so fast. Well the M's do.
Your right that it adds up fast but again if you can't afford the 364.00 increase in a year then maybe invest in a hybrid. LOL.

Not to sound like a ass but I've been in this conversation with a co-worker and he just doesn't get it that its only 7.00 difference when I fill up.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyllmd View Post
Quote:
Wrong, most people would prefer to save the $7 per fill up. That adds up fast, especially since these cars go through gas so fast. Well the M's do.
Your right that it adds up fast but again if you can't afford the 364.00 increase in a year then maybe invest in a hybrid. LOL.

Not to sound like a ass but I've been in this conversation with a co-worker and he just doesn't get it that its only 7.00 difference when I fill up.
$364 would be your increase. My M3 requires 2 full ups a week. That's about $728 I save a year by not getting shell gas. Seems worth it to me considering I'm sure Shell just had a contract with BMW to put "recommended shell gas" on their cars.
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      01-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #27
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I use ARCO about 90% of the time. I have for more than 10 years. I have never had a problem with their gas.
I have a Fabspeed DP and got an error associated with that. Again, not saying it's related but it is strange from a timing perspective. I wonder if I'm always on the verge of a CEL with other gas and the ARCO gas just nudged me over that line that I'm already close too?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #28
Jekyllmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Quote:
$364 would be your increase. My M3 requires 2 full ups a week. That's about $728 I save a year by not getting shell gas. Seems worth it to me considering I'm sure Shell just had a contract with BMW to put "recommended shell gas" on their cars.
Yep, I hit the station once a week and yes if your a heavy driver then save the money and buy a 1000 beater and use the B for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #29
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I have a Fabspeed DP and got an error associated with that. Again, not saying it's related but it is strange from a timing perspective. I wonder if I'm always on the verge of a CEL with other gas and the ARCO gas just nudged me over that line that I'm already close too?
Since you said it was a sketchy gas station, it is very possible that you got some water mixed in with the gas. It can happen with any brand with a station with old tanks. I had a friend who got water in his tank from a Chevron station. His car stalled out. They needed to drain the tank and refill it with good gas to correct the problem.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #30
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Since you said it was a sketchy gas station, it is very possible that you got some water mixed in with the gas. It can happen with any brand with a station with old tanks. I had a friend who got water in his tank from a Chevron station. His car stalled out. They needed to drain the tank and refill it with good gas to correct the problem.
Indeed, very possible the station tainted otherwise fine gas. Had not considered that.
Appreciate 1
DanG10444.00
      01-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #31
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

From what I know, the base stock of all grades of gasoline is known as Alkylate. This is generally 74 octane and when produced is shipped to a large storage tank within the refinery. From there, when test come back it is within specs, it is sent to a blender to be finished into the final product for shipment.

The blending is done usually before shipping to stations. Blending is the adding of additives to increase the octane and adding of cleaners. The octane specs are approved by the feds as minimum.

Each refinery usually has a maximum radius they will ship to from their gates. More than this distance is not cost effective. For stations outside the radius, they are handled by what is known as spot market sales. As in my area, there are no refineries in my state and the closest is way too far to transport to. So we have spot markets supplying our stations. All refineries will sell their overage, some sell all product to this market. The system is like a major freeway system underground throughout the nation. They receive nothing but the base stock for further processing.

When a station orders a delivery, the suppliers, such as a Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Loves, Flying J and such will order the grade and if it is different than the normal blend, will specify the blend content. They blend to order and ship out to station.

As to the chemicals used for blending ... up till I retired 10 years ago, they were the same for all orders, just the percentage is different. But this is usually 1 to 2 percent different so it can be their propriety blend.

If there is another refineries close by, and many are, when one is doing what is called a turn-a-round of the unit and they can not make their base stock for their contracts, they pay the other refinery to supply until they are up and running again. My refinery was ARCO, and across the road was the Shell refinery (until they sold that refinery to another company). When they has the turn-a-round, I use to open the valves to ship the base stock to their refinery. So I have 1st hand knowledge of this.

And since we did not have a refinery in the Bay area, and Shell did, they took care of our needs. You wash my hand and I'll wash yours.

The main theme, all refineries met the minimum standards set by the industry and approved by the government, usually not exceeding, if at all, since the % profit would be effected.

What has happened since I retired is Shell advertising the additive of nitrogen (n2) to their fuel for better performance ? I tried to contact them to understand how an inert gas added to a volatile fuel will increases performance ?

They never responded, but I figured they wouldn't.

I can only assume that BMW recommends Shell fuel, like Cummins recommends Valvoline Blue Sync oil. They both will get something financial from it.
Appreciate 3
pz6193274.00
DrFerry6722.50
      01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #32
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I use Shell V-power 97 Octane (highest you can get in Turkey) for my newer cars (2 series, Z4M, 850Ci etc), for the oldies (2002’s, E30 etc) I use Shell Fuel Save 95 Octane (gives smoother idle). As previously said I think if you can afford a BMW you shouldn’t shy away from premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #33
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Interesting that someone changed the title of this thread.

Probably more interesting that I have no ability to edit the thread title.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #34
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
You don’t really know who is refining the gasoline you use in your car unless you do some homework. It’s a complex system and depends on where you live, but frequently one refinery will be supplying gasoline to several different branded marketing outlets.
this.

there is one difference tho. its that different manufacturers will have different additives.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #35
grancouper428
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe

91 octane at Costco lately has been at 2.79/gal here in AZ.....enjoying that while it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #36
Diaolos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek4884 View Post
I put Shell gas (premium) in my X5 yesterday for the first time ever and a few miles later got a "drivetrain malfunction" warni ng. I hope it's only the gas but it is highly suspicious for sure.
You sure you did not fill up on Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #37
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyllmd View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if you can afford a BMW then the 7.00 difference on a fill up shouldn't matter.
I correct you sir, you are wrong. The difference basically amounts to a free sandwich per fill up, and I'm all about the sandwiches.
Appreciate 3
      01-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #38
Diaolos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaolos View Post
You sure you did not fill up on Diesel.
I have a Costco just down the road, but I here the V power is the best. You get more KMs as well as a better response. Costco normally sells their premium gas at the price that the other gas stations sell their regular.

Question where do they get their gas?

Maybe you get what you pay for

Also here in Montreal gas is much more expensive than the US. Current price at Costco 1.069$ regular and 1.199$ for premium. That's not a gallon that is per litter. Multiply by 3.8 so 4.06$ and 4.55$ CAD respectively.

Last edited by Diaolos; 01-08-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #39
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I personally don’t think that there is much difference between top tier gas. That is why I usually buy ARCO. I find no difference when I get Shell once a month or so with my QFC discount.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #40
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I think I paid $2.20 or so at my last fill up. Premium.
Love your new title-LOL!! When you go big you go big!
Bill
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #41
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I would say don't worry if it's top tier. I take the fuel recommendation as more like marketing.

The tank is only 13.7 gallons, and I can typically only get 11 at most in when the low fuel light comes on. The price difference is barely the cost of an Americano at Starbucks. I realize it adds up over time, but it's not that big of a difference. I typically use BP or Shell depending on where I am at on my route and yes the prices vary, but if you want to shop for the cheapest gas, you'll probably burn up more gas than money you'll save trying to get to the cheaper gas station. If you're trying to save money on gas, buy a Prius.
Exactly I fully agree.

I think at least the only minimum you should be aiming for is TopTier gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #42
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaolos View Post
I have a Costco just down the road, but I here the V power is the best. You get more KMs as well as a better response. Costco normally sells their premium gas at the price that the other gas stations sell their regular.

Question where do they get their gas?

Maybe you get what you pay for

Also here in Montreal gas is much more expensive than the US. Current price at Costco 1.069$ regular and 1.199$ for premium. That's not a gallon that is per litter. Multiply by 3.8 so 4.06$ and 4.55$ CAD respectively.
Yeah you get more KM because shell premium has no Ethanol in Canada. I switched from petro canada with petro points to Shell now with no rewards. Anyways running Petro 94 Octane isn't that much worth it anyways in terms of HP gain on MHD.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 01-09-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #43
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
FWIW, filled up tonight at Shell with premium, cost was $2.35 a gallon- lowest it's been in a long time.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #44
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

I just filled up tonight at shell. $2.99/ gal at the one across from the Hanover mall south of Boston. Regularly hit that place and have had no issues performance-wise. Don't pay much attention normally to price nor do I price shop for gas.
Appreciate 0