Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals What color blue is this M340i? (Update: likely Tanzanite Blue II Individual)

01-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #89
montegoblue_e92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
The car looks great!

Have any of you seen what the grille looks like with the slats open?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #90
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegoblue_e92 View Post
The car looks great!

Have any of you seen what the grills look like with the slats open?
Quote:
The car looks great!

It can't open. I saw the car up close in person and scrutinized the grill and even touched it just to be sure. It's one piece of plastic with no slats that cover the entire kidney area.

That being said, that won't deter me to jump ship. I believe it has the best 6 cylinder engine With the latest irisation of the B58 in the entire industry and is overall the best car in its segment. The exhaust pipes don't really bother me and the grilles I 'll have it replaced by the one found in the 330i.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #91
montegoblue_e92
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by khailuan View Post
Quote:
The car looks great!

Quote:
The car looks great!

It can't open. I saw the car up close in person and scrutinized the grill and even touched it just to be sure. It's one piece of plastic with no slats that cover the entire kidney area.

That being said, that won't deter me to jump ship. I believe it has the best 6 cylinder engine With the latest irisation of the B58 in the entire industry and is overall the best car in its segment. The exhaust pipes don't really bother me and the grilles I 'll have it replaced by the one found in the 330i.
Oh that's really interesting. So the car relies mostly on the lower grille areas to take in air, it sounds like the kidneys are mostly (or completely) non functional?

I'm not sure if I LOVE the grille design, but I don't think it looks bad either. I'm hoping I can see the car in person at NYIAS in the spring. There will probably be aftermarket solutions, or you can swap in the 330i grille like you said!
Appreciate 1
khailuan110.50
      01-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #92
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Is there a big difference between Tanzanite I and II? Looks like the latter is ever so slightly brighter (which I am a huge fan of). I really hope that this standard-individual color passes onto the next M3!
      01-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #93
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh that's really interesting. So the car relies mostly on the lower grill areas to take in air, it sounds like the kidneys are mostly (or completely) non functional?

I'm not sure if I LOVE the grill design, but I don't think it looks bad either. I'm hoping I can see the car in person at NYIAS in the spring. There will probably be aftermarket solutions, or you can swap in the 330i grill like you said!
I'm really not sure what you two are talking about.

It's an active grille that shuts to reduce drag when the engine doesn't need cooling. You can easily make out the parts "behind" the grille just for that in the photo below. khailuan clearly didn't scrutinize it enough.

Last edited by KTN; 01-26-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #94
montegoblue_e92
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post
Quote:
Oh that's really interesting. So the car relies mostly on the lower grill areas to take in air, it sounds like the kidneys are mostly (or completely) non functional?

I'm not sure if I LOVE the grill design, but I don't think it looks bad either. I'm hoping I can see the car in person at NYIAS in the spring. There will probably be aftermarket solutions, or you can swap in the 330i grill like you said!

It's an active grille that shuts to reduce drag when the engine doesn't need cooling. You can clearly make out the parts "behind" the grille just for that. khailuan clearly didn't scrutinize it enough.

[IMG]https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...uto-show-5.jpg[/IMG]
Ok yeah that's what I thought originally, that it's an active grille similar to other new BMWs. I'm really looking forward to seeing this car in person.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #95
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's an active grille that shuts to reduce drag when the engine doesn't need cooling. You can easily make out the parts "behind" the grille just for that in the photo below. khailuan clearly didn't scrutinize it enough.

[IMG]https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...uto-show-5.jpg[/IMG]
Everytime I see it I wanna

It's fuckin terrible
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #96
khailuan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW IX40 Black Sapphire

Quote:

Oh gosh you're right. I only looked and felt the top part of the grill from the side while standing looking down. Should've used my phone and took a picture with flash at same level like you did. My bad ! Sorry for the misinformation. Well in that case, I'm glad it's functional.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #97
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
In person, it felt like a sheet of cheap hard plastic. Maybe some parts of it open when needed. But I’m not sure why they went for the flat plastic look. If they wanted a diamond pattern or honeycomb pattern, sure go for it but why not give the grill some depth and then have the active grille behind it.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 03:02 AM   #98
Florian123
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Is there a big difference between Tanzanite I and II? Looks like the latter is ever so slightly brighter (which I am a huge fan of). I really hope that this standard-individual color passes onto the next M3!
I would also like to know the difference between the two, does anyone have some insider-info? I can't seem to find anything online.

In the video it looks brighter than all the online Tanzanite I pictures/videos, but that might be because of the lightning. The Carbon Black X7 video (from the same YT user on that same event) also shows more blue than usual because of the lightning.

I ordered a G20 330d in Tanzanite Blue II and am a bit worried that it will be too bright (I checked a lot of TB I pictures/videos and that colour is perfect).

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 04:46 AM   #99
Junni
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Garage List
Nice Florian123! I'm thinking Dravit Grey or Tanzanite Blue II for my G20 later this year (awaiting M340i specs & pricing - should be in July in Belgium).

I saw both colors on the Brussels Motor Show‎ last weekend: M850i Cabrio in Dravit Grey and a 4 Gran Coupe in Tanzanite Blue. At this point Dravit Grey is the winner for me, but not sure what interior to take: Mokka or Oyster.

What interior did you take?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #100
Florian123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junni View Post
Nice Florian123! I'm thinking Dravit Grey or Tanzanite Blue II for my G20 later this year (awaiting M340i specs & pricing - should be in July in Belgium).

I saw both colors on the Brussels Motor Show‎ last weekend: M850i Cabrio in Dravit Grey and a 4 Gran Coupe in Tanzanite Blue. At this point Dravit Grey is the winner for me, but not sure what interior to take: Mokka or Oyster.

What interior did you take?
Thanks bro, nice yourself!

I'm thinking fase 1 tuning to get 680Nm and 310HP. Once you get yours we should go for a ride and start at 120km/h if you know what I mean ;-)

Yeah I went to the Brussels Motor Show as well and saw both colours. My initial idea was also Dravit because it is new and it looked good on the convertible under the artificial light, but I'm less convinced about the colour on a non-convertible (too much grey imo) especially under low-light conditions + my friends didn't like it (peer pressure )

The TB on the 4 GC on the other hand isn't the new TB II. I called the BMW Test Center today and their technical guys said TB II is a bit lighter than TB which kind of worries me because I want a dark blue.

Anyways, I'm assuming TB II is close to TB which is a real headturner. It's too late now anyways as I already confirmed my order. Fingers crossed.

Since I can't be bothered to wait 4 extra months just for Merino leather, I got Mokka with Eiche Maser (I don't like the Tetragon M trim) which combos well with dark blue.

Free tip: get the Sensatec or Individual Leather dashboard, it makes your interior look more premium (and less cheap tbh).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #101
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Ah yes, this is what I was thinking as well. Thanks for following up on that. I have seen Tanzanite blue in person and it is great. The one in the video (TB II) appears brighter in color - still for those looking for a darker blue it is better than Portimao blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian123 View Post

The TB on the 4 GC on the other hand isn't the new TB II. I called the BMW Test Center today and their technical guys said TB II is a bit lighter than TB which kind of worries me because I want a dark blue.

Anyways, I'm assuming TB II is close to TB which is a real headturner. It's too late now anyways as I already confirmed my order. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #102
Junni
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian123 View Post

I'm thinking fase 1 tuning to get 680Nm and 310HP. Once you get yours we should go for a ride and start at 120km/h if you know what I mean ;-)

Yeah I went to the Brussels Motor Show as well and saw both colours. My initial idea was also Dravit because it is new and it looked good on the convertible under the artificial light, but I'm less convinced about the colour on a non-convertible (too much grey imo) especially under low-light conditions + my friends didn't like it (peer pressure )

Since I can't be bothered to wait 4 extra months just for Merino leather, I got Mokka with Eiche Maser (I don't like the Tetragon M trim) which combos well with dark blue.

Free tip: get the Sensatec or Individual Leather dashboard, it makes your interior look more premium (and less cheap tbh).
My current F30 LCI 330d is stage 1: 308hp and 677Nm. If you want to give it the beans before you get yours, send me a DM

I get what you are saying. The dark shade speaks less to me than the bright sparkles...it seems less special. And coming from a Mineral Grey F30, the eye & mind want something different I guess. Will wait 'till I've seen some more examples of both colors. If yours is in, I would love to come over and have a look

Mokka is going to be awesome with Tanzanite, great combo! Did you opt for the Sensatec or leather dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:53 AM   #103
estoril_335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F30 335, M-sport

the car is getting bigger and bigger every generation, but why bmw still use 225/255 tire set up in the 3 series. shouldn't they increase the size as well?. I know they've been using 225/255 setup since the e46 models with 18 inch wheels. when my f30 park next to an e46, the difference is gigantic.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #104
E90SMOKE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI

Grill

When is BMW going to learn to make their new cars with black grills. Every enthusiast changes the grill to black because it looks better.
      02-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #105
Florian123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junni View Post
My current F30 LCI 330d is stage 1: 308hp and 677Nm. If you want to give it the beans before you get yours, send me a DM

I get what you are saying. The dark shade speaks less to me than the bright sparkles...it seems less special. And coming from a Mineral Grey F30, the eye & mind want something different I guess. Will wait 'till I've seen some more examples of both colors. If yours is in, I would love to come over and have a look

Mokka is going to be awesome with Tanzanite, great combo! Did you opt for the Sensatec or leather dashboard?
It's a deal, you show me yours and I'll show you mine ;-)

I opted for the Sensatec.
Appreciate 1
Junni88.00
      02-05-2019, 02:49 AM   #106
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SMOKE View Post
When is BMW going to learn to make their new cars with black grills. Every enthusiast changes the grill to black because it looks better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SMOKE View Post
I personally think it looks terrible and would never get it. the murdered out black wheels black grill look is so overdone and looks very I used to rice out my civic but grew up and drive German now. so no not everyone likes this look
Appreciate 0