Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Anti-dazzle coding on Laser?

01-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #89
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Ah great to hear from an on the road user! If you could get video that would be a godsend!

Forgot to ask, did you see any difference in the output of the lights?
I got a chance to try it yesterday after coding it in.

I'm noticing that the high beams come on more frequently now and I did see it move around for a bit but I haven't been able to find a dark and quiet road to fully try it out. I'll see if my dashcam can pick it up and I'll post a video.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem brighter. Either another code need to be changed or it's a hardware limitation with the US spec headlights.
I don't feel like mine is brighter either
      01-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #90
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Ah great to hear from an on the road user! If you could get video that would be a godsend!

I'm noticing that the high beams come on more frequently now and I did see it move around for a bit but I haven't been able to find a dark and quiet road to fully try it out. I'll see if my dashcam can pick it up and I'll post a video.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem brighter. Either another code need to be changed or it's a hardware limitation with the US spec headlights.
Activated anti dazzle are not brighter. When the auto high beams activate they simply don't blind on coming drivers by moving out of the drivers sight. They work really well. Very cool. .
Appreciate 1
Rev_Hi296.50
      01-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #91
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Activated anti dazzle are not brighter. When the auto high beams activate they simply don't blind on coming drivers by moving out of the drivers sight. They work really well. Very cool. .
I am talking about laser in EU has 600m distance where north america only 300
      01-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #92
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

My dashcam got a cool video of a tunnel forming on the left side of a car merging onto the beltway in DC. I will get a bunch more this weekend on the way to DE. Also note that I was going uphill, it's tough to see in the video which is why the high beams seem low.

EDIT: The date wasn't set on the dashcam correctly, I took this video on 1/23/20.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by azwillnj; 01-23-2020 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
A6bullet336.00
      01-24-2020, 02:56 AM   #93
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
My dashcam got a cool video of a tunnel forming on the left side of a car merging onto the beltway in DC. I will get a bunch more this weekend on the way to DE. Also note that I was going uphill, it's tough to see in the video which is why the high beams seem low.

EDIT: The date wasn't set on the dashcam correctly, I took this video on 1/23/20.

View post on imgur.com
WoW, a million thanx!

You just confirmed with a 100% certainty that anti-dazzle works flawlessly in US-spec vehicles.

I'm stealing your video to prove the naysayers wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:01 AM   #94
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:

View post on imgur.com
That is awesome, thanks so much for sharing! We can all live in hope that US laws will someday catch up tot he rest of the world and you guys wont have to deal with the BS.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      01-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #95
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

View post on imgur.com
That is awesome, thanks so much for sharing! We can all live in hope that US laws will someday catch up tot he rest of the world and you guys wont have to deal with the BS.
Here in the US, since the early '90s, headlight glare is the number one complaint to the highway safety department, consistently, every year.

So the federal government is understandably very cautious in approving a technology that could possible increase the issue and further upset their constituents. They even specifically cited that this is reason for this delay in embracing smart headlights technology.

I predict the technology will eventually reach federal approval but it's going to take a lot of red tape to break through before we get there but until then, those of us that live on the fringes are still going to circumvent the law and code them in anyways..

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      01-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #96
homerjay
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 / G20 330i

What is the tunneling effect you guys are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #97
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Anyone in S/E PA that I can hire to code anti dazzle in my M340i? I have Laser.
I code everything I need through Bimmercode
but prefer not take this on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:08 AM   #98
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Here in the US, since the early '90s, headlight glare is the number one complaint to the highway safety department, consistently, every year.

So the federal government is understandably very cautious in approving a technology that could possible increase the issue and further upset their constituents. They even specifically cited that this is reason for this delay in embracing smart headlights technology.

I predict the technology will eventually reach federal approval but it's going to take a lot of red tape to break through before we get there but until then, those of us that live on the fringes are still going to circumvent the law and code them in anyways..

This is so wild though. I have never had a glare problem here in Germany. Most cars here have either Xenons or some variation of it, so most cars have blue tinted headlights. I'm not sure what the difference is, but even with the "smart headlights" you will not get blinded at night. Honestly, this might a more of a problem of poor driver etiquette and poor road worthiness of cars (not having stringent TUV). Not saying we have perfect cars here, but I just haven't seen this problem.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      01-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #99
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn't able to get any videos this weekend, never got the chance to drive at night. If I get anything else in the future I will put something up.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 2
A6bullet336.00
Poochie9099.00
      01-28-2020, 03:09 AM   #100
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is so wild though. I have never had a glare problem here in Germany. Most cars here have either Xenons or some variation of it, so most cars have blue tinted headlights. I'm not sure what the difference is, but even with the "smart headlights" you will not get blinded at night. Honestly, this might a more of a problem of poor driver etiquette and poor road worthiness of cars (not having stringent TUV). Not saying we have perfect cars here, but I just haven't seen this problem.
I'm not 100% certain the Anti-Dazzle feature is completely glare-free, it's pretty effective but there are instances where it can be a nuisance to fellow motorist, such as around a bend or curve, where the camera/sensor responsible for the beam separation isn't yet capable of adapting to these situations.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html

The US regulatory bodies on automotive lighting stance on smart headlights is if it's not broken, then why try to fix it..

The video below pretty much summarizes their POV, on the technology:

Appreciate 2
A6bullet336.00
OM3RTA391.00
      01-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #101
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
I wasn't able to get any videos this weekend, never got the chance to drive at night. If I get anything else in the future I will put something up.
What app did you use to code this? So sick.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #102
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
What app did you use to code this? So sick.
Pretty sure its ESYS and Launcher Pro.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 1
Prissy1064.00
      01-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #103
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure its ESYS and Launcher Pro.
Yes, exactly. Just changed the VO per the video earlier in the thread and coded the modules.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #104
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not 100% certain the Anti-Dazzle feature is completely glare-free, it's pretty effective but there are instances where it can be a nuisance to fellow motorist, such as around a bend or curve, where the camera/sensor responsible for the beam separation isn't yet capable of adapting to these situations.

The US regulatory bodies on automotive lighting stance on smart headlights is if it's not broken, then why try to fix it..

The video below pretty much summarizes their POV on the technology:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The video below pretty much summarizes their POV on the technology:

My last car a 340i, anti dazzle was coded. I can't recall one instance that another driver flashed me because of high beams.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:26 AM   #105
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
My last car a 340i, anti dazzle was coded. I can't recall one instance that another driver flashed me because of high beams.
I watched the video and I was surprised to see that the argument for safety was really 2nd to the argument of "it costs more".

Seriously, this technology is on luxury cars. I really doubt, and Im not trying to implicate things here other than reality, that people without the means to get these cars will be speccing them out with the top trim.

Also the argument of Halogens are good and "I never had any reason for more or better" are the most backassward statements I have ever read. Technology moves on and innovation is driven by demand as well.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #106
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
If anyone can do this in the boston area I'll gladly pay for your services

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #107
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
If anyone can do this in the boston area I'll gladly pay for your services
And me too, albeit in AUSTIN, not Boston!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #108
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have any more cool videos yet but.. I have been noticing that even when the lights aren't on auto high beam there are some active things going on with the low beams. When I am driving around in the city it expands the lights outward and moves them up slightly depending on the situation. I remember activating something like this on my F30 called Variable Light Distribution. I missed it when I moved to the G20 and now after doing this coding it is definitely happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
And me too, albeit in AUSTIN, not Boston!
Seems like we have a Road Trip situation here.

WE ARE!

Last edited by azwillnj; 02-02-2020 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
A6bullet336.00
      02-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #109
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just because no one flashed you doesn't necessarily mean you're not glaring them.

I'm blinded at least once a day, by some waste of sperm, with their high-beams blaring in well-lit, NYC streets.

Most drivers are non-conformational or figure it's pointless to inform other motorist that they're being inconsiderate.
If they don't have the mental capacity or care to operate headlights appropriately, what makes you believe that they're capable of having understanding or empathy for others. :

Now, I'm not saying your headlights are in fact glaring others, I can't confirm that or not; just stating that you can't unequivocally deduce one from the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #110
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Just because no one flashed you doesn't necessarily mean you're not glaring them.

I'm blinded at least once a day, by some waste of sperm, with their high-beams blaring in well-lit, NYC streets.

Most drivers are non-conformational or figure it's pointless to inform other motorist that they're being inconsiderate.
If they don't have the mental capacity or care to operate headlights appropriately, what makes you believe that they're capable of having understanding or empathy for others. :

Now, I'm not saying you're headlights are in fact glaring others, I can't confirm that or not; just stating that you can't unequivocally deduce one from the other.
I can confirm that the anti-dazzle lasers do not glare other drivers. My friend was driving in front of me when the high beams came on around him and while he did notice the bottom half of my headlights coming on it did not seem any brighter towards him. He said there was no glare at all.

On the F30 generation I could see it being a problem. I coded mine to have anti-dazzle but I found that some light did bleed into the cars in front. I guess this is because the F30 did not have the micro shutters that the LEDs needed for the US market. The cutoff is night and day (no pun intended) with the lasers compared to the LEDs.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0