Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020 Toyota Supra Spy Shots

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
TBN54
Captain
423
Rep
792
Posts

Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

FR-S' cool cousin.

I don't like the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #24
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
4706
Rep
5,334
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Motor by BMW right? PASS.

Until they can figure out how to make an engine which doesn't go through rod bearings, VANOS units, water pumps, on and on and on, forget 'em. Whatever they put in this car will be a complete joke compared to the legendary 2JZ.

German engineering is a myth. If Toyota is making the motor, then there is hope.

Also, I sure don't see a targa roof on that thing.
Appreciate 4
Doc Oc1352.50
supra93996.00
feuer2929.00

      09-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
M3Tooner
Private First Class
M3Tooner's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone notice they have similar 666m wheel styling? LOL This design is getting popular!
Appreciate 1
theriz398.00

      09-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2897
Rep
7,946
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tooner
Anyone notice they have similar 666m wheel styling? LOL This design is getting popular!
Isn't it literally a 666 wheel? Steering wheel is from an F30, might as well use what's laying around, right?
Appreciate 1
Bucki14130.00

      09-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
2897
Rep
7,946
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Motor by BMW right? PASS.

Until they can figure out how to make an engine which doesn't go through rod bearings, VANOS units, water pumps, on and on and on, forget 'em. Whatever they put in this car will be a complete joke compared to the legendary 2JZ.

German engineering is a myth. If Toyota is making the motor, then there is hope.

Also, I sure don't see a targa roof on that thing.
Toyota doesn't have a straight six, so it's likely going to get the new Lexus V6TT. Kinda lame, think I'd rather have a B58, goofy chain on the back and all.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #28
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
Doc Oc's Avatar
United_States
1353
Rep
2,026
Posts

Drives: C63 amg
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Upyourbuttandtotheleft

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Motor by BMW right? PASS.

Until they can figure out how to make an engine which doesn't go through rod bearings, VANOS units, water pumps, on and on and on, forget 'em. Whatever they put in this car will be a complete joke compared to the legendary 2JZ.

German engineering is a myth. If Toyota is making the motor, then there is hope.

Also, I sure don't see a targa roof on that thing.
Couldn't agree more. I've had three supras in the last 20 years, all making 600+ hp, and outside of clutch/flywheels they didn't cost me a cent in repairs. My near stock M3 blew up at 60k. I love the M but it's no Supra.
Appreciate 2
NickyC4706.00
wdb1376.00

      09-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #29
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
4706
Rep
5,334
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
Couldn't agree more. I've had three supras in the last 20 years, all making 600+ hp, and outside of clutch/flywheels they didn't cost me a cent in repairs. My near stock M3 blew up at 60k. I love the M but it's no Supra.
You got it! I'm excited for 2018 to see how much imported RHD Supra's will be. If they aren't too outrageous ($30k or so for a nice TT, 6-speed example), I'm picking up another one no questions asked. I'd take a 25 year old Supra TT over a new GTR anyday!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
PLCZ4MC's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
628
Posts

Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South California

iTrader: (4)

If it does look like FT-1 or at last close in the exterior and interior design of the FT-1 I would love to get one in the future in Gray like the concept. Supra or Z5 depending which one looks closer to the FT-1.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #31
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1681
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

That's definitely the Supra -- and it isn't going to be priced anywhere close to $30k.

Intriguing that it's using BMW interior trim ... but those gauges scream Toyota (they remind me of those in the 1st-gen MR2) ... and it's an out-and-out 2-seater, too.

Toyota has to be mindful of where to position this car, particularly with:
- Rumors that the next Nissan Z car will likely be less expensive than the current 370z -- which is a $35k car
- The FR-S/Suby BR-Z and Miata taking up the $25k space
- Mazda green-lighting a next-gen RX sports car, probably to appear in 2019, that will probably start @ $40k
- Whatever Genesis pulls out of its hat to replace the Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- The hyper-competitive market that starts at $55-$60k (Cayman, Z5, SLK, Corvette, etc.)

My guess it that it'll start at $40k or so, and approach $50k 'nicely loaded'.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... Gone (but not forgotten): "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge, other goodies>>
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #32
fcman
Lieutenant
156
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Some people are speculating that this is actually the Z5 coupe. Which would explain the interior. I'm guessing Toyota will use their own design.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...s-and-details/
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #33
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
160
Rep
4,416
Posts

Drives: TBM F82
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukee/Chicago

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
Some people are speculating that this is actually the Z5 coupe. Which would explain the interior. I'm guessing Toyota will use their own design.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...s-and-details/
German plates, German (I assume) driver. I see nothing which leads me to believe this isn't the Z5 over a Supra.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #34
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
4922
Rep
10,936
Posts

Drives: G01 Msport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.Y.

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [5.00]
i bet it will be over $100k
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #35
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
67
Rep
380
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Looks like a BMW steering Wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #36
Viffermike
Colonel
Viffermike's Avatar
United_States
1681
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Big D

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
German plates, German (I assume) driver. I see nothing which leads me to believe this isn't the Z5 over a Supra.
I don't believe that for a second:

- BMW's already unofficially stated that a coupe version of the Z5 is not going to be released immediately, alongside the roadster. What has been officially said is that to help keep the Supra and Z5 as distinct from each other as possible, the Z5 will be a roadster only, and the Supra will be a coupe only, at least for the initial production year of both.
- Exterior design details of the coupe shown differ significantly from the roadster. It's much more sculpted, much more organic, and much more, well, "Toyota" than the roadster, which reminds me of a cross between a stretched S2000 and a shrunken, slightly taller Vantage. It's a clean roadster design. The coupe has no provision for double kidneys, the roadster's windshield is slightly more curved, the trunk lip is far more rounded on the coupe, etc.
- Both mules appear to share the same taillights; a grafted-on circular LED array a la Ferrari. What this tells me is that they are meant to hide actual taillight designs, which are probably still in development by both parties. What this also tells me is that certain design cues -- both exterior and interior -- are likely being jointly worked on, such as the very-Toyota gauges and the very-BMW steering wheel and visible HVAC controls in the coupe mule.

Finally: Car and Driver agrees that it's a Supra.
__________________
--Life is a journey made more exciting with a fast car.--
--Helmets are for closers.--
<<Current: "Blackened" '18 NBM Porsche 718 Cayman ... Gone (but not forgotten): "Blackened" MG '15 228i M Sport w/aFe filter/scoop, Hertz drivers, P3Cars multigauge, other goodies>>

Last edited by Viffermike; 09-15-2016 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bucki14130.00
supra93996.00

      09-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #37
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1706
Rep
6,370
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Nice to see. Definitely a mule through and through. Though, has a coupe body so I'd have to say it's the Supra. This development will likely be the backbone for the Z5 coupe as well, though that will probably receive its own in house touches later. Literally doesn't matter at all whats inside or outside aside from the general shape/chassis. Love the folks saying since it has a F30 wheel it's the Z5.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1681.00
supra93996.00

      09-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #38
Irishsig
In Hoc
Irishsig's Avatar
United_States
298
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Meh.
I initially was really interested in the new supra but I'm a strictly combustion engine only kind of guy.
Not to mention the design is looking FAR less dynamic than the orig concept.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...=newag20160921

__________________
2016 M4 MG/SO 6MT- Max PSI Intakes - BMS Stage 1 - Swift Spec R - CG Precision Valve controller - 20" DPE Flowtech 5S - AA Midpipe & all the external CF goodies.

Last edited by Irishsig; 09-21-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #39
Acree
Captain
United_States
349
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: 2016 Grigio Medio M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (2)

The concept was beautiful. That looks like shit. I'll pass.
__________________
Current - 2016 Ind Grigio Medio F80 M3
Beater - 2002 Infiniti QX4
Sold - '11 E92 M3, '13 BRZ, '06 Evo IX, '05 350Z
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #40
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1706
Rep
6,370
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
The concept was beautiful. That looks like shit. I'll pass.
Do you somehow know what it looks like under the hard cover camo? Please enlighten us.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 1
supra93996.00

      09-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #41
Acree
Captain
United_States
349
Rep
840
Posts

Drives: 2016 Grigio Medio M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
The concept was beautiful. That looks like shit. I'll pass.
Do you somehow know what it looks like under the hard cover camo? Please enlighten us.
The bug eye rear tail lights are enough of a hint. They did the exact same thing with the FR-S concept. I bought a BRZ.... and lamented how they watered it down.

I don't know exactly what it looks like, but it's not going to be anywhere near as striking at the concept or retain the killer features like those quarters or the rear.
__________________
Current - 2016 Ind Grigio Medio F80 M3
Beater - 2002 Infiniti QX4
Sold - '11 E92 M3, '13 BRZ, '06 Evo IX, '05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:15 AM   #42
Jacblack
Captain
68
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 Xdrive Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

The car will not look like the FT1, people got very confused with saying the FT1 was the next Supra when that never was stated by Toyota. The FT1 was just a concept that Toyota created to make buzz and show they could design such a car if they wanted. The FT1 would have cost more than the land cruiser to produce that's why it will never see the light of day.

As far as the Supra/Z5 partnership remember it will look like a BMW because... will it is. That's how these joint ventures work. The two brands will work on a blend on design, but since BMW ks providing the chassis their design cues will be more prominent.

As far as power plants, the low end 4 cylinder models will be powered by Toyota and the upgraded turbo 6 will be BMW.
Appreciate 1
Bucki14130.00

      09-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #43
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
130
Rep
485
Posts

Drives: 128 AW CR M-Sport | e92 DCT m3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Toyota doesn't have a straight six, so it's likely going to get the new Lexus V6TT. Kinda lame, think I'd rather have a B58, goofy chain on the back and all.
They are still very familiar with the straight 6 (2j-z) design. I see no reason why this car wont be a straight 6 twin, which works in favor with both BMW/Toyota
__________________
2010 e92 m3 | Satin Black Wrap/Black | Apex Arc-8 | Remus Race Exhaust & Macht Schnell Xpipe | DCT GTS Tune | H&R Race Springs| ESS VT2 625 |

instagram: Ostate_M3
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #44
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
130
Rep
485
Posts

Drives: 128 AW CR M-Sport | e92 DCT m3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I don't believe that for a second:

- BMW's already unofficially stated that a coupe version of the Z5 is not going to be released immediately, alongside the roadster. What has been officially said is that to help keep the Supra and Z5 as distinct from each other as possible, the Z5 will be a roadster only, and the Supra will be a coupe only, at least for the initial production year of both.
- Exterior design details of the coupe shown differ significantly from the roadster. It's much more sculpted, much more organic, and much more, well, "Toyota" than the roadster, which reminds me of a cross between a stretched S2000 and a shrunken, slightly taller Vantage. It's a clean roadster design. The coupe has no provision for double kidneys, the roadster's windshield is slightly more curved, the trunk lip is far more rounded on the coupe, etc.
- Both mules appear to share the same taillights; a grafted-on circular LED array a la Ferrari. What this tells me is that they are meant to hide actual taillight designs, which are probably still in development by both parties. What this also tells me is that certain design cues -- both exterior and interior -- are likely being jointly worked on, such as the very-Toyota gauges and the very-BMW steering wheel and visible HVAC controls in the coupe mule.

Finally: Car and Driver agrees that it's a Supra.
Someone who gets it
__________________
2010 e92 m3 | Satin Black Wrap/Black | Apex Arc-8 | Remus Race Exhaust & Macht Schnell Xpipe | DCT GTS Tune | H&R Race Springs| ESS VT2 625 |

instagram: Ostate_M3
Appreciate 3
Viffermike1681.00
JonnyM3204.00
supra93996.00

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST