Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing MAC users...Should I join you?

10-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

MAC users...Should I join you?

I have long considered making this change but my life became very busy the last several months. I am now very close to making the move, but I still have 3 questions. I was hoping to garner the opinions of some savvy MAC users if I could.

1) My Basic uses for a Laptop are, in order from Most use to Least use is...

-Internet Surfing for both business and leisure
-Email
-Excel and Word
-Music and Photo's(Non-Editing)

What keeps getting me, is that these are the very things that a Window's PC does excel in. I am not editing photo's or video, not creating music or drawings. Is a switch really right for my type of use?

2) If I decide to make the leap, part of me is saying "wait" for Leopard. Is Leopard worth the wait? It sounds great and I feel that I will either miss out or cost myself the cash it will take to upgrade if I buy now instead of waiting. Is this true? I REALLY like the sound of "Time Machine". Also, I believe that having Leopard installed on the machine to begin with is a far safer than upgrading down the road. Is this true?

3) Probably my biggest stumbling block is this: I have a blackberry and use a Blackberry Enterprise Server(3rd party) to Sync my blackberry and outlook wirelessly(email, contacts, tasks, calendar). From my research, it doesn't seem possible for a Mac to do this. Also, it seems that "PocketSync" or whatever it is called, is extremely unreliable. As I am married to my blackberry, what is your recommended solution?

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
typerlover
Private
Rep
Drives: coming soon

I'd say I'm in a good position to comment on this since I've used both of them for a decent amount of time.

For doing anything as far as just chilling with the computer, such as surfing, email, doing excel and word, and viewing photos I like the mac better because it does just that and somehow without much distraction. I don't know why but doing that on a PC does not provide that same level of comfort and effectiveness.

I am a minimalist and enjoy the layout of the system.

As far as music, that depends on if you use itunes on a pc. If so, then you will be just fine. I personally am a WinAmp user and don't like much of the bloat that is itunes, but it works just fine in OSX.

One thing to note, is that when we talk about "internet" it is important to know that there are times, while not as often as before, that videos embedded in websites may not play properly in OSX. Sometimes upsetting, other times not a big deal.

I would say make the switch just for the sake of getting a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery. That enough is worth it.

As far as syncing your mobile, I'm sure that a PC will do that much easier and be far more compatible than on a mac. Everyone claims that you can now run Windows on the mac, and sure you can, but even still, just the fact of having to reboot to get into that system is enough to keep me from doing it too often. And emulation may have improved, but still is not the best alternative.

So what to do? Do it like I said just to try a new system. You will enjoy it I'm sure. Apple hardware can be a tossup between great and piss poor. I've had em all, powerbooks, macbooks, macbook pros, cinema displays, everything. Just read on the forums and see what issues each model has,although the latest released of C2D Macbook Pro's may have improved a lot.

Avoid the macbooks, the random shutdown is a serious issue and I believe it is an inherent flaw in the design of the laptop that affects EVERY unit. Sure some people may not be experiencing it just yet, but it will happen. Should they update the macbooks sometime soon though that may be something worth looking into.

The iMacs are nice and don't have many problems either, and the 24" is a real monster.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your response....

Does the Macbook Pro also have the Shutdown problem or just the Macbook?

Also...not sure I understand your answer as far as the blackberry. To me, Bootcamp is not a viable solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
everything on a mac is sooo much easier!!! ull be glad u made the leap..
      10-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
The new version of pocketmac is much better. My blackberry syncs fine. You can always run windows in parallels desktop (virtualization) if necessary. I think the shutdown problems were Macbook only and are now resolved. The Pro's are pretty attractive right now with the Merom chips (Core 2 Duo)
      10-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
typerlover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
Thanks for your response....

Does the Macbook Pro also have the Shutdown problem or just the Macbook?

Also...not sure I understand your answer as far as the blackberry. To me, Bootcamp is not a viable solution.
MBP had no shutdown problem. Was Macbook specific.

Don't know much about the blackberry, and others can answer better. Go for that new 15" MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1gb ram (pick up another gig anytime later), and up the HD to 160gb. Monster machine.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
If you're looking at laptops, it's really hard to go wrong with Apple these days. Give it a try; if you decide OSX isn't your thing, they make damn good Windows machines... but all of my friends who used my iBook G4 for more than 30 minutes or so are now mac users.

My #1 concern at first was the single-button trackpad, but it turned out to be a complete non-issue. You can "right-click" by either control-clicking or just putting two fingers on the trackpad when you click the button.

It's a great machine for general use, where OSX's lack of routine maintenance really shines. The overall level of polish on both the software and hardware is tough to describe -- you just sort of get used to things working in obvious ways, and after a few months Windows seems clunky.

btw, what's up with all-capsing "MAC"? it's not an acronym, just Mac.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerlover
1gb ram (pick up another gig anytime later), and up the HD to 160gb. Monster machine.
Was thinking about getting at least 2gb, and possibly 3 from the get go...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

i didn't read, but most users of mac never go back due to the simplicity of use. i have an old g4 powerbook (last generation) if you want to try it out. it has wireless internet and all that stuff -- perfect for what you're looking for.

looking to get rid of it, i have a newer powerbook. so let me know if u want to knwo more info.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
CraigG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo

But PC's are wizzes with numbers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

i like pc guy better, he's funny. mac guy is a jerk.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
CraigG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1993 Toyota MR-2 Turbo

Macs are great for creative stuff...even though it’s a juvenile waste of time
      10-31-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

if the mac fits the budget then id get that

BUT all the things u want done can be had on a 500-600 dell notebook..

obviously the quality isnt top notch more like poor, but if its gonna be used for basic stuff anything will do...

~fk
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 05:57 AM   #14
typerlover
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
Was thinking about getting at least 2gb, and possibly 3 from the get go...
Well if you have the cash, then go for the 2.33 and up it to 3gb then. I would be jealous.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 07:23 AM   #15
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

gluck75, Mac now use the same intel chip found in PC. Mac no longer uses power PC motorola chip. Now that Mac uses intel chip, you can run pc applications on Mac without any problem. That is the direction they are heading. In the past, if you have a Mac, you really do not have to worry about virus attacks. Now that they move over to the intel chip, I wonder if this is still true with the virus attack and are they more prone to virus attack. Mac are more expansive. I like their new lazer mouse with the ball scroll in any direction, up, down, left, right, diagonal...I use both Mac and PC but use the PC more than Mac. But everytime I use the Mac, I am always impressed with it speed and graphics.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 08:29 AM   #16
TommyBahama
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

for me macs seem overpriced and tend to send out a message to other people that you are some sort of green peace snob.

do they have a right click on the mouse yet? that was always a deal breaker for me, since i like FPS.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
i like pc guy better, he's funny. mac guy is a jerk.

Be nice! I went to highschool with MacGuy!

Back on topic, Ive been using a Mac for 4 years now, never looked back. And I HATED them before I really gave it a go.

Leopard wont be out to spring. Upgrading/New OS is pretty damn easy on a mac, you could wait, but you would be missing out on using the machine for quite some time. Mac OS upgrades have traditionally cost $129 I believe.

Bootcamp is great for games and mission-critical windows apps, I dont have much experience with Parallels (windows in OSX) because I use CAD stuff and parallels cant run it at full speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #18
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can I runt outlook in parallels?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #19
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Be nice! I went to highschool with MacGuy!

Back on topic, Ive been using a Mac for 4 years now, never looked back. And I HATED them before I really gave it a go.

Leopard wont be out to spring. Upgrading/New OS is pretty damn easy on a mac, you could wait, but you would be missing out on using the machine for quite some time. Mac OS upgrades have traditionally cost $129 I believe.

Bootcamp is great for games and mission-critical windows apps, I dont have much experience with Parallels (windows in OSX) because I use CAD stuff and parallels cant run it at full speed.
could you verify if bootcamp and parallels are available with a new mac systems or is it something you need to pay separate for? I think they both comes with the new mac.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
dmitri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Personally, I am thinking about switching to Mac myself.

Im tired of stupid errors all the time, things that don't work, viruses, exploits, spam - that simply doesnt happen on the Mac.

I hate how the PC has to question my moves, or give suggestions, or simply not doing what I tell it. You hit X to close a program, why does it have to ask me if im sure or give me suggestions???

My next computer is definitely a small Mac laptop im fed up with Windows

Read this ^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #21
txusa03
Major General
Rep

my fav dumb error of PC is this: "cannot write file corejava.dll". was the error I got while installing oracle client. This happens a few years back. Well, I found the real problem and it was because there was not enough disk space. Yes, a better error could have been "give me more disk space moron." vs the above. Well, if you install any software lately, the first thing it checks for is disk space and depends on what you install, it also make sure the cpu and memory meet the minimum requirements.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
I hate how the PC has to question my moves, or give suggestions, or simply not doing what I tell it. You hit X to close a program, why does it have to ask me if im sure or give me suggestions???
cuz they are afraid to be sue by the users. remember, it is never the users' fault. lol.
Appreciate 0