BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Help Me Decide - HRE vs Vossen

02-15-2022, 08:15 PM   #1
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I'm in the market for a set of aftermarket wheels but I'm having a difficult time deciding on which wheel to purchase.

I am between the HRE FF10 (color - tarmac) and the Vossen HF5 (color - gloss black); my M340i is alpine white with the shadow line package.

Let me know your thoughts!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Both are a great looking wheel.

I've already decided on HF-5 but a different color. There is another member with a white G20 and gloss black HF-5 wheels, looks damn good. The gloss black would match your shadow line trim great.

I'm partial to Vossen as I have a set of VFS1 wheels on my G37 coupe. Then again can't go wrong with HRE.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 05:12 AM   #3
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
Both are a great looking wheel.

I've already decided on HF-5 but a different color. There is another member with a white G20 and gloss black HF-5 wheels, looks damn good. The gloss black would match your shadow line trim great.

I'm partial to Vossen as I have a set of VFS1 wheels on my G37 coupe. Then again can't go wrong with HRE.
I agree, it would be difficult to go wrong with either design. The choice is difficult due to each wheel design being totally different than the other. The HF-5 design is simple but aggressive. The FF10 is busy but has the look and feel of a European design. Not to mention HRE has raised their pricing a considerable amount compared to Vossen - it's difficult for me to pay an additional $600 for a set of wheels based solely on the design. Don't get me wrong I know HRE is at the top of the leader board when quality is concerned but I also know Vossen sits right along side.

Tough choices!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #4
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another thing to consider as well is wheel weight. I wanted to go from my stock 19" wheels to 20" but didn't want an increase in weight. I've confirmed with Vossen that the size and offset I am going with are lighter than my stock 19s. I'd be interested to see what those FF10s weigh. I figured the HREs would be more expensive, you are partly paying for the name I feel like. The design definitely screams Euro and would match well.

I lost about 5 lbs on my G37 when going from stock sport 19s to 20" Vossens. I looked up tire weight as well and added everything up, about 205 lbs vs 200 lbs.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
Haywood187
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
This one is tough. These are two of my favorite that I'm thinking about as well when I get my M340.

I have gone back and forth to this album and it's a great aggressive look on the HF-5s.

I also love the FF10s "busy" style that makes you stop and look.

You really can't go wrong with either IMHO.

Retired - 2014 335i xDrive
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 12:34 PM   #6
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood187 View Post
This one is tough. These are two of my favorite that I'm thinking about as well when I get my M340.

I have gone back and forth to this album and it's a great aggressive look on the HF-5s.

I also love the FF10s "busy" style that makes you stop and look.

You really can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Very true - both wheels are amazing in design but with the most recent information related to the weight of each wheel I am severely leaning towards the HRE FF10
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another thing to consider as well is wheel weight. I wanted to go from my stock 19" wheels to 20" but didn't want an increase in weight. I've confirmed with Vossen that the size and offset I am going with are lighter than my stock 19s. I'd be interested to see what those FF10s weigh. I figured the HREs would be more expensive, you are partly paying for the name I feel like. The design definitely screams Euro and would match well.

I lost about 5 lbs on my G37 when going from stock sport 19s to 20" Vossens. I looked up tire weight as well and added everything up, about 205 lbs vs 200 lbs.
Agreed - weight savings is always a plus!

HRE FF10 wheel weights:

20x9 = 26-28lbs (per wheel)
20x10.5 = 28-30lbs (per wheel)

Vossen HF-5 wheel weights:

20x9.5 = 33-35lbs (per wheel)
20x10.5 = 36-38lbs (per wheel)

For me, if weight is a factor, I will be definitely traveling with HRE wheels! I would have never thought Vossen wheels would have been almost 10lbs per wheel more than the HRE…crazy!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 10:48 PM   #8
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Those weights are different than what Diego at Vossen provided me, hmmm....

He quoted me 24-25 lbs for HF-5 20x9.

Did you get your weights from a website or did someone at Vossen provide you those? I'm curious about the discrepancyx, pretty big difference.

The numbers I have recorded for my VFS1 wheels (same hybrid forged series) are 20x9 - 25 lbs, 20x10.5 - 26 lbs.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2022, 11:51 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

While you can't go wrong with either one - I personally prefer the HRE's - here they are on my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-17-2022, 05:58 AM   #10
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those weights are different than what Diego at Vossen provided me, hmmm....

He quoted me 24-25 lbs for HF-5 20x9.

Did you get your weights from a website or did someone at Vossen provide you those? I'm curious about the discrepancyx, pretty big difference.

The numbers I have recorded for my VFS1 wheels (same hybrid forged series) are 20x9 - 25 lbs, 20x10.5 - 26 lbs.
All weights provided were obtained directly from a physical employee via phone. I was thinking the same thing when the gentleman from Vossen stated the actual weights, I could always call Vossen again today and verify with another employee??
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:01 AM   #11
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
While you can't go wrong with either one - I personally prefer the HRE's - here they are on my car
Lol,
Dang you chenry!! This throws another decision into the mix - Tarmac vs Silver on the FF10! I basically have the identical car and I must admit the silver really does give great contrast and it looks superb.

The car is looking fantastic brother!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
sdemo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

FF10 design will be lost with a black wheel. If you must go with black, then go with Vossen. If you’re interested in a lighter color that will let the FF10 design show through, then FF10 might be the better choice.
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #13
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
FF10 design will be lost with a black wheel. If you must go with black, then go with Vossen. If you're interested in a lighter color that will let the FF10 design show through, then FF10 might be the better choice.
Couldn't agree with you more! Those are my thoughts exactly. The difficult thing is I'm a sucker for black accents, including wheels, on a white vehicle. But as you have stated a European style wheel, especially black in color, becomes difficult to distinguish the design of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
jp0319
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

My vote would be the HREs. I want the FF04s for my car.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #15
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
My vote would be the HREs. I want the FF04s for my car.
The FF04 is a nice wheel as well!
Appreciate 1
jp031962.00
      02-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #16
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Lol,
Dang you chenry!! This throws another decision into the mix - Tarmac vs Silver on the FF10! I basically have the identical car and I must admit the silver really does give great contrast and it looks superb.

Hahah thanks for the kind words

I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to see the HRE "liquid metal" finish in person (it's their standard silver finish) but it really has a lot more gray and depth to it vs your typical & more traditional "hyper silver" finish. It's a very nice color in my opinion. Here's a pic for reference - the wheels are a little dirty though (I took the pic for the side skirt extension and vinyl behind it not for the wheel)

Hope this helps a bit
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
pdxdbo331.00
      02-17-2022, 02:07 PM   #17
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol,

I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity to see the HRE "liquid metal" finish in person (it's their standard silver finish) but it really has a lot more gray and depth to it vs your typical & more traditional "hyper silver" finish. It's a very nice color in my opinion. Here's a pic for reference - the wheels are a little dirty though (I took the pic for the side skirt extension and vinyl behind it not for the wheel)

Hope this helps a bit
I've personally never received the opportunity to physically view the liquid metal finish from HRE in person, but every picture and video I've seen it looks incredible! Can't say thank you enough for taking the time to provide pictures at multiple different angles. Question - what dimensions are your wheels (width and offset)?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:16 PM   #18
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol,

Hope this helps a bit
I've personally never received the opportunity to physically view the liquid metal finish from HRE in person, but every picture and video I've seen it looks incredible! Can't say thank you enough for taking the time to provide pictures at multiple different angles. Question - what dimensions are your wheels (width and offset)?
Oh sure just happy I can help

I'm running a 19x9 square setup. ET is 25 however I do have a 5mm spacer on the front purely for aesthetic purposes so that makes front ET 20. Tires are 255/35
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #19
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol,

Hope this helps a bit
Oh sure just happy I can help

I'm running a 19x9 square setup. ET is 25 however I do have a 5mm spacer on the front purely for aesthetic purposes so that makes front ET 20. Tires are 255/35
Cool - when I contacted HRE they only recommended a squared setup, same as yours, but I know the user purpl3ish has installed a staggered setup - see below thread

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1853598
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #20
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool - when I contacted HRE they only recommended a squared setup, same as yours, but I know the user purpl3ish has installed a staggered setup - see below thread

Yes purpl3ish and I chatted a bit before he pulled the trigger on those (beautiful car - great setup). He also decided to go with 20's - I would not hesitate to run a staggered set-up. I ended with squared because at the time I purchased mine HRE didn't even think they would work at all on the car and squared seemed like a safer choice. I also liked the idea of being able to rotate my tires (which I haven't been able to do for decades) BUT with my MP Stage 2 I really need some more rubber on the rear so I will be installing 265's in the near future

Last edited by chenry; 02-17-2022 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #21
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes purpl3ish and I chatted a bit before he pulled the trigger on those. He also decided to go with 20's - I would not hesitate to run a staggered set-up. I ended with squared because at the time I purchased mine HRE didn't even think they would work at all on the car and squared seemed like a safer choice. I also liked the idea of being able to rotate my tires (which I haven't been able to do for decades) BUT with my MP Stage 2 I really need some more rubber on the rear so I will be installing 265's in the near future
It's interesting that HRE still recommends a squared setup even though individuals have proven a staggered setup is possible. For me, I prefer a larger wheel so 20" would be the minimum (I'm kinda a aesthetic junkie)!

Stage 2 you say - do tell 😀😀
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      02-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #22
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix, '03 E39 540i/6

Question CB too small on Vossen HF-5?

I've been lurking on this forum for about a year and this is my first post. There's certainly lots of great info to be found here!

As it turns out I too am considering the Vossen HF-5s for my '21 M340xi - currently on the stock square 791M 19' wheels. I can definitely appreciate the HRE FF10 as well but am looking for a simpler pattern.

I've read the entire post with everyone's aftermarket wheel setups and have also tried to do my homework on square vs. staggered setups as well as spacer choices for flush fitment.

As I understand it the CB for the HF-5 is 66.5mm but the hub bore on the G20 is 66.6mm. So are there spacers/adapters available that will allow fitment of the HF-5s? I'm assuming that's the only way to get them to fit outside of additional machining?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide!
Appreciate 0