Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

04-03-2021, 01:07 AM   #1695
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

By BAR you mean.....?!?!

Lots of company owned vehicles are registered out of state and driven here. It's no issue.
Pretty sure he means a BAR Smog Referee
Ohhhh! Good question. I believe so though. Plus you only have so many days to register a vehicle once you relocate here. The same applies to driver's licenses. The state can make it difficult for you very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNM3 View Post
I only have one cop question... what's your favorite pizza topping?
Pepperoni!!!! Woot woot!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Vivek.1367.50
      04-03-2021, 01:27 AM   #1696
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Pepperoni!!!! Woot woot!
My favorite is Round Table - Triple Pepperoni; with Classic pepperoni, Primo pepperoni and Mini pepperoni. Yummy! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 03:09 AM   #1697
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I have one hand on the wheel, one hand selecting a specific song on my iPhone. Takes 3 seconds.

I can change songs on my steering wheel, but I'm not pressing my steering wheel buttons 400+ times until I find the song I want. I'd be pulling into the garage at that point.
I stick to a few albums at a time so only a few pushes for me or just go random when I feel like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #1698
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I only have one cop question... what’s your favorite pizza topping?
When I was working on night shift if I had a hankering my go to was a slice of Hawaiian. That being said, downtown Toronto has some great pizza places will some killer pie.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #1699
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes, but I don't need to prove you were looking at it. By law, I can write the cite if you have your phone in your hand.
Dang. Good to know.

Does that same rule apply for watches? If I’m reading and replying to a text on my watch, I can’t get in trouble, right?
Or... you know... maybe don't text while driving and keep your eyes on the road? Just a smart thought there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #1700
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
I only have one cop question... what’s your favorite pizza topping?
When I was working on night shift if I had a hankering my go to was a slice of Hawaiian. That being said, downtown Toronto has some great pizza places will some killer pie.
I had respect for you.... until you said Hawaiian pizza. Let's not start the "should pineapple be on pizza" topic.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615281.50
Murf99314114.00
JN1300.50
      04-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #1701
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Or... you know... maybe don't text while driving and keep your eyes on the road? Just a smart thought there.
I can dictate or read a text on my watch while in the 20 minute long line at the drive thru at McDonalds. There is nothing wrong with that and I'm sure 99% of parents also do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #1702
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I see people including cops blatantly looking at their phones while driving here in GA all the time. In 2018 I think, a new law was put in place that was supposed to decrease this habit called the "Hands-free Law". It hasn't done a damn thing as far as I can tell. In fact, people aren't even supposed to be handling their phone, let alone texting while in the car. I see it every single day.
Drives me batshit crazy! Put the phone down and drive. What the F is so impotent you have to text or read while driving. I see it every single day.
I wonder how people are that selfish who can't wait to text till they stop driving. I don't give a fuck if they put themselves in danger, because they don't care about themselves clearly, but they are putting others in danger for their actions.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615281.50
cmyx6go15762.50
      04-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #1703
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder how people are that selfish who can't wait to text till they stop driving. I don't give a fuck if they put themselves in danger, because they don't care about themselves clearly, but they are putting others in danger for their actions.
Hang up and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Buug95917423.00
cmyx6go15762.50
      04-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #1704
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can dictate or read a text on my watch while in the 20 minute long line at the drive thru at McDonalds. There is nothing wrong with that and I'm sure 99% of parents also do it.
How about the part where you stated earlier you "text at red lights..."? Is there not a problem with that too?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #1705
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I had respect for you.... until you said Hawaiian pizza. Let's not start the "should pineapple be on pizza" topic.
I know, I'm damaged goods. You're not the first one who lost respect for me....you should talk to my ex-wives.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #1706
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Hang up and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Have you two thought about how many times a day you get distracted while driving? Strictly speaking, all of these acts can be categorized as distracted driving, if you take your eyes off of the road to do them:

- Tuning the radio
- Changing volume
- Adjusting the HVAC
- Adjusting mirrors
- Looking at the scenery
- Reading advertising billboards
- Looking at a map/directions
- Plugging in your phone
- Looking at that hot chick in the Z4
- Looking at that awesome M2C in Sunset Orange
- Drinking
- Eating
- Etc.

The point is that we all get distracted while driving. Much of it is self-induced, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens.

Do you want to know how to reduce accidents from distracted driving? Training and practice. Learn how to manage your distractions. Learn your limits about how long you can be distracted. Practice dividing your attention in short bursts. Practice reacting to surprise distractions.

Sounds like work, doesn't it? It is. Learning to be better at something is work.

You know what doesn't work? More laws. Laws keep honest people honest. For everyone else, "It won't happen to me" is a much easier answer. Besides, we already have laws governing distracted drivng. Cell phones are just the latest distraction.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25113.50
Sara5791.00
Buug95917423.00
      04-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #1707
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Have you two thought about how many times a day you get distracted while driving? Strictly speaking, all of these acts can be categorized as distracted driving, if you take your eyes off of the road to do them:

- Tuning the radio
- Changing volume
- Adjusting the HVAC
- Adjusting mirrors
- Looking at the scenery
- Plugging in your phone
- Drinking
- Eating
- Etc.

The point is that we all get distracted while driving. Much of it is self-induced, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens.

Do you want to know how to reduce accidents from distracted driving? Training and practice. Learn how to manage your distractions. Learn your limits about how long you can be distracted. Practice dividing your attention in short bursts. Practice reacting to surprise distractions.

Sounds like work, doesn't it? It is. Learning to be better at something is work.

You know what doesn't work? More laws. Laws keep honest people honest. For everyone else, "It won't happen to me" is a much easier answer. Besides, we already have laws governing distracted drivng. Cell phones are just the latest distraction.
Most of that stuff distracts drivers, I think when you get into reading text or sending text the distraction seems to be much worse. I remember driving in the Scout Car and typing on the work station to run a plate or reply to the dispatcher or other car....it was on a full size keyboard so was easier but clearly my focus wasn't on the road.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25113.50
M5Rick60090.50
      04-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #1708
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post

- Tuning the radio
- Changing volume
- Adjusting the HVAC
- Adjusting mirrors
- Looking at the scenery
- Plugging in your phone
- Drinking
- Eating
- Etc.

Most of that stuff distracts drivers, I think when you get into reading text or sending text the distraction seems to be much worse. I remember driving in the Scout Car and typing on the work station to run a plate or reply to the dispatcher or other car....it was on a full size keyboard so was easier but clearly my focus wasn't on the road.
Yep! Typing on our mobile computers while driving - especially Code 3 driving - can be quite distracting, as can working the radio (...as in, the radio that communicates with dispatch, etc.), coordinating calls, navigating your partners, etc. I agree with the above poster that mentioned limiting distractions. It's at the point now where my department is beginning to come down on us for using the mobile computer while driving (...acquired and confirmed via body worn camera footage). I don't think there's a way around it because the patrol car is the office and multitasking while driving is the name of the game.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #1709
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yep! Typing on our mobile computers while driving - especially Code 3 driving - can be quite distracting, as can working the radio (...as in, the radio that communicates with dispatch, etc.), coordinating calls, navigating your partners, etc. I agree with the above poster that mentioned limiting distractions. It's at the point now where my department is beginning to come down on us for using the mobile computer while driving (...acquired and confirmed via body worn camera footage). I don't think there's a way around it because the patrol car is the office and multitasking while driving is the name of the game.
Responding to a Hot Shot and trying to read details on the workstation, talk on the radio and not spill your fresh coffee, watching for folks that seem to have no idea when they see and hear the lights and sirens, clear intersection.....good times.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #1710
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Responding to a Hot Shot and trying to read details on the workstation, talk on the radio and not spill your fresh coffee, watching for folks that seem to have no idea when they see and hear the lights and sirens, clear intersection.....good times.

I got into an "unofficial" pursuit yesterday with a motorist who decided my patrol car's position (...with lights activated and blocking multiple lanes of traffic) didn't apply to him and he didn't need to yield, and felt inclined to drive over a raised concrete median to circumvent me. I conducted a traffic stop and he yielded; I was seconds away from putting it out over dispatch that I was in pursuit of a reckless DUI. Not surprisingly, he was intoxicated, had no license/insurance (..only a Matricular card) and he had just committed a misdemeanor hit & run and fled the scene. The victims were in pursuit of him when they observed me initiate a chase. He's toast!.....and I took his truck.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1615281.50
Buug95917423.00
      04-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #1711
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Oh, and honesty matters folks. I pulled over a motorist who disregarded a stop sign completely. I tend to give people A LOT of breaks.....and in this instance I was going to give this motorist a break too, but when I asked if she had a license she chose to lie to me. A records check revealed she was unlicensed. Had she been truthful, I would have let her slide (...I have a soft spot for people with babies in the car, but the fact that she decided to run a stop sign with her daughter in the car annoyed me). I was also annoyed that she made up this elaborate story to explain why she drove through the stop sign. She's lucky I didn't take the car.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Buug95917423.00
      04-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #1712
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How about the part where you stated earlier you "text at red lights..."? Is there not a problem with that too?
Completely stopped at a red light, yup. I also look and read the navigation screen when going new places, like I did today. Guilty. My vehicle doesn’t have heads up display so I have to look to the right of the steering wheel at my nav screen. In fact today, after 3 hours of riding I was hungry and went to get food from the drive thru. Drove back to the barn and was sipping on my drink in one hand while driving. Someone take away my license stat.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #1713
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Completely stopped at a red light, yup. I also look and read the navigation screen when going new places, like I did today. Guilty. My vehicle doesn’t have heads up display so I have to look to the right of the steering wheel at my nav screen. In fact today, after 3 hours of riding I was hungry and went to get food from the drive thru. Drove back to the barn and was sipping on my drink in one hand while driving. Someone take away my license stat.
This dialogue between you and him is intriguing. I have my popcorn ready.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #1714
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I’m just fucking with him. But I’m sure he’s being serious lol
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #1715
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've been sitting in the weeds with my mouth shut.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      04-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1716
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

I also steer with my knees when I need to tighten my pony tail.

Going down bridges you have to take your hands off the wheel and put them in the air like you’re on a roller coaster. My child will yell at me if I forget that one.

I can’t think of anything else at the moment... other than opening and closing the sunroof while in motion... hmm

Last edited by Sara; 04-03-2021 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50