Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Brake Pad Installation & Review - Hawke HPS 5.0

06-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #23
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=HeatJoey;30255629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
I’ve owned both Hawke and EBC. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of Hawke pads currently installed after +15k miles; if I had to do it all over again, I’d travel in a different direction. My next setup will comprise of a set of iSweep pads from Japan. Not sure if these will be any better than the Hawke but I’m willing to try

What about ebc? Just wondering why it’s so difficult to find non dusting pads for the m340, for my m40 it was a simple set of power stops. Aren’t the isweep very expensive ?
Hawk offers a ceramic brake pad. I would assume that produces less brake dust.
      06-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #24
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Installed Project Mu type PS pads on the m340i. I loved these pads on my last daily driver. Special order from Japan as they don’t stock euro pads normally. Tons more braking torque over stock pads, little dust and no noise. Stock BMW pads had a grabby on/off feeling and hard to modulate. These pads are more progressive and easy to brake smoothly. It has a higher heat range as well (up to 500C). Although not a track day pad, it’ll handle a few track laps or fast mountain road runs. There’s a reason why they call it PS - “Perfect Spec”.

I think something similar would be the Endless MX72 but Project Mu has better pricing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Z K; 06-29-2023 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #25
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Installed Project Mu type PS pads on the m340i. I loved these pads on my last daily driver. Special order from Japan as they don’t stock euro pads normally. Tons more braking torque over stock pads, little dust and no noise. It has a higher heat range as well (up to 500C). Although not a track day pad, it’ll handle a few laps or fast mountain road runs. There’s a reason why they call it PS - “Perfect Spec”. I think something similar would be the Endless MX72 but Project Mu has better pricing.
Appreciate the feedback - might be beneficial to post a link.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:42 PM   #26
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=HeatJoey;30255629]
Quote:
I’ve owned both Hawke and EBC. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of Hawke pads currently installed after +15k miles; if I had to do it all over again, I’d travel in a different direction. My next setup will comprise of a set of iSweep pads from Japan. Not sure if these will be any better than the Hawke but I’m willing to try

What about ebc? Just wondering why it’s so difficult to find non dusting pads for the m340, for my m40 it was a simple set of power stops. Aren’t the isweep very expensive ?
EBC are not bad, just depends on the color code you decide to purchase. Unfortunately, the M340i does not have a wide range of individuals who are looking to modify their vehicle, hence the reason for the small selection of aftermarket. Shoot - head on over the G80 forum and you’ll see plenty of goodies! Give it a few more years and the aftermarket will increase, just takes time.
The iSweep pads are a little pricey but you get what you pay for most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:43 PM   #27
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Hawk offers a ceramic brake pad. I would assume that produces less brake dust.
Lol, the system didn’t post your comments either
Appreciate 1
peelerec986.00
      06-29-2023, 05:56 PM   #28
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback - might be beneficial to post a link.
https://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/prod...ad_typeps.html

Here is a link to the Project Mu web site. It is also sold as the "Euro Sports Excellence" pads for specific Euro car models.

I think you can find some places that have it in the USA as the M340i uses the same fitment as the A90 Supra.

I order it direct from Japan.

Edit: a quick google turns up this place who carries it in the US:
https://www.topendmotorsports.com/to...ront-30235.php
      06-29-2023, 05:59 PM   #29
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
https://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/prod...ad_typeps.html

Here is a link to the Project Mu web site. It is also sold as the "Euro Sports Excellence" pads for specific Euro car models.

I think you can find some places that have it in the USA as the M340i uses the same fitment as the A90 Supra.

I order it direct from Japan.

Edit: a quick google turns up this place who carries it in the US:
https://www.topendmotorsports.com/to...ront-30235.php
Excellent - I’m going to have to review this manufacturer a little more in detail
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 06:10 PM   #30
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Excellent - I’m going to have to review this manufacturer a little more in detail
There's basically 2 major aftermarket manufacturers of brake parts in Japan - Endless and Project Mu. Both are well regarded and active in motorsports.

Endless brake fluid is used in Formula 1, WRC and is factory fill on all Porsche race cars. Endless brake pads are used for the BMW M4 GT3 program, Manthey Racing, Ford Motorsport, Toyota GR and many others.

Project Mu is smaller but is more active in track days and the enthusiast market then professional racing. Project Mu supplies NASCAR, V8 SUPER CARS, SUPER GT, SUPER FORMULA, WTCC, WTA, BTCC, ATCM and D1 DRIFTING. Pricing is usually more affordable than Endless.

I find the Japanese brake pads more nuanced than stuff like Hawk, EBC and Ferodo. They keep innovating and producing niche pad compounds for specific applications. So if you are looking for a pad that fits a specific need and not a blanket pad compound they use for all cars, they have more choices.

I run the Project Mu HC-CS pads on my track day M3. I wanted a track pad I can drive to and from the track, make no noise on the street, abuse all day on track up to 800C temps and still work in street driving. Oh, and no paint eating metallic brake dust. No non-Japanese pad does this.

Last edited by Z K; 06-29-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 11:54 PM   #31
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Is it recommended or needed to resurface the rotors when changing the pads?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:03 AM   #32
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Interesting, can’t find a price or confirmation of which pad for my model … why is this so complicated, I just ordered powerstop pads for my m40 no problem, for about 70$ lol

For some reason the m340 is more complicated but there must be a simple pad here easy to get, not so expensive, that doesn’t dust like the oem? I have no experience with pads for this car is there something not great about the ebc ?

PS the power stops worked great on my scat pack and hellcat. I’m excited about my m40 arriving next week and the power stops will be installed very quickly… just wish they made pads for m340 as it would simplify this so much lol. They are carbon fiber/ceramic blend and while definitely not made for track or very hard driving type use, for normal driving they were great. They had no problem on my hellcat which weighed a lot lol
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:01 AM   #33
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW GSA 1250 , BMW m340i (soon

Quote:
I thought I would draft a quick thread for anyone who is contemplating the replacement of the brake pads (front & rear) on their G20 with M Sport Brakes. There are few existing threads about brake replacement but not an official thread which includes part numbers, instruction manuals and review details.

I first want to give a shout out to Mike over at Extreme Power House for another flawless engagement - thank you Mike!

My current vehicle is a 2020 M340i with 40k on the clock - no track days currently or in the future (only passionate street driving). Needless to say the rear pads were almost depleted and required replacement and since I was replacing the rear pads I went ahead and replaced the fronts. After much review I decided on a set of Hawke HPS 5.0 street pads since I wanted a tad bit more bite than stock. After the break in was complete I must say I am impressed with the new pads and their stopping ability - no fade whatsoever. My only gripe is related to the slight noise (more of a creek) which comes from the pads upon a final stop, but again this is to be expected from a pad designed for hard street enthusiasts For those curious about dust, its still too early to determine as I need to place additional miles on the vehicle prior to giving a response.

All components required are located below:

Front - Hawke Part No. HB916B.740 (QTY 1 = set)
Rear - Hawke Part No. HB917B.625 (QTY 1 = set)
https://x-ph.com/hawk-hps-5-0-pads-bmw-g-chassis-m340i/

Front - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-349 (QTY 1)
Rear - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-354 (QTY1)

Lessons learned:
1. Ensure you have the correct tools for retracting the caliper pistons. The front and rear pistons require different tools.
Front - https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-27.../dp/B0079GQKDE
Rear - https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-b...-pc-63264.html
2. The stock pads have an adhesive which snuggly secures them to the caliper pistons requiring them to be softly separated with a screwdriver/pry bar. Ensure all leftover adhesive is removed from the face of each piston.
3. In the event the indicator message to replace the wear sensor is active - reset via:
a. Ignition to the "on" position
b. Press start/stop button three times quickly / vehicle will display "in-service mode"
c. Press and hold the "BC" button for 5-10secs. You will be prompted two separate times, each time press the "BC" button
4. In the event you are going to turn your rotors ensure the front and rear rotors have the minimum thickness requirements.
5. A metal coat hanger works wonders when securing the front calipers away from their original mounting locations.
6. Remove the brake master cylinder fill cap; verify fluid level each caliper piston retraction - siphon excess fluid as required (keep excess fluid as some will be reused upon the cycling of the brake pedal after installation).
7. A calibrated torque wrench is required (BMW requires NM but I am sure ft-lbs could be converted).

I truly hope the above gives assistance to those who prefer to wrench on their own vehicle or to anyone who might be on the fence about aftermarket brake pad replacement.

Cheers
Thanks for this write up it’s extremely helpful!!

Quick question. When it says to “renew” bolts does that mean those need to be replaced ? Or does that mean look at them for wear and clean them up if needed and reinstall ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:06 AM   #34
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLoyal View Post
Thanks for this write up it’s extremely helpful!!

Quick question. When it says to “renew” bolts does that mean those need to be replaced ? Or does that mean look at them for wear and clean them up if needed and reinstall ?
No worries - renew means to replace. I know many individuals simply clean and reuse but BMW recommends replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:02 AM   #35
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
No worries - renew means to replace. I know many individuals simply clean and reuse but BMW recommends replacement.
Thank you.

Do the guide pins on the front need to be renewed as well? I notice in your front brake pad workshop instruction it’s based on a normal floating caliper design not the fixed caliper design that we have up front

Also where did u obtain those service procedures ? Is that ISTA?

If so could u send me the software?

Last edited by BimmerLoyal; 01-29-2024 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:29 AM   #36
BimmerLoyal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quick question about lifting the car

How did u manage to lift the car and get it on the Jack stands ? I don’t know if any central jacking point for to get the car up without occupying the jacking points which is where I would like to put the stands.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #37
GaryGK
Private
Rep
Drives: 1987 5.7l IROC-Z, 2021 M440i

Quote:
I thought I would draft a quick thread for anyone who is contemplating the replacement of the brake pads (front & rear) on their G20 with M Sport Brakes. There are few existing threads about brake replacement but not an official thread which includes part numbers, instruction manuals and review details.

I first want to give a shout out to Mike over at Extreme Power House for another flawless engagement - thank you Mike!

My current vehicle is a 2020 M340i with 40k on the clock - no track days currently or in the future (only passionate street driving). Needless to say the rear pads were almost depleted and required replacement and since I was replacing the rear pads I went ahead and replaced the fronts. After much review I decided on a set of Hawke HPS 5.0 street pads since I wanted a tad bit more bite than stock. After the break in was complete I must say I am impressed with the new pads and their stopping ability - no fade whatsoever. My only gripe is related to the slight noise (more of a creek) which comes from the pads upon a final stop, but again this is to be expected from a pad designed for hard street enthusiasts For those curious about dust, its still too early to determine as I need to place additional miles on the vehicle prior to giving a response.

All components required are located below:

Front - Hawke Part No. HB916B.740 (QTY 1 = set)
Rear - Hawke Part No. HB917B.625 (QTY 1 = set)
https://x-ph.com/hawk-hps-5-0-pads-bmw-g-chassis-m340i/

Front - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-349 (QTY 1)
Rear - BMW Part No. 34-35-6-870-354 (QTY1)

Lessons learned:
1. Ensure you have the correct tools for retracting the caliper pistons. The front and rear pistons require different tools.
Front - https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-27.../dp/B0079GQKDE
Rear - https://www.harborfreight.com/disc-b...-pc-63264.html
2. The stock pads have an adhesive which snuggly secures them to the caliper pistons requiring them to be softly separated with a screwdriver/pry bar. Ensure all leftover adhesive is removed from the face of each piston.
3. In the event the indicator message to replace the wear sensor is active - reset via:
a. Ignition to the "on" position
b. Press start/stop button three times quickly / vehicle will display "in-service mode"
c. Press and hold the "BC" button for 5-10secs. You will be prompted two separate times, each time press the "BC" button
4. In the event you are going to turn your rotors ensure the front and rear rotors have the minimum thickness requirements.
5. A metal coat hanger works wonders when securing the front calipers away from their original mounting locations.
6. Remove the brake master cylinder fill cap; verify fluid level each caliper piston retraction - siphon excess fluid as required (keep excess fluid as some will be reused upon the cycling of the brake pedal after installation).
7. A calibrated torque wrench is required (BMW requires NM but I am sure ft-lbs could be converted).

I truly hope the above gives assistance to those who prefer to wrench on their own vehicle or to anyone who might be on the fence about aftermarket brake pad replacement.

Cheers
Nice write up on brake service. I've been told two different ways of compressing the rear caliper piston. I have a 2021 M440i with the M Sport brakes. Since you have actually done a brake job and I'm assuming you have the same single piston caliper on the rears, the rear piston is definetely turned to compress it not pushed in as so many have told me. My brakes don't need to be done yet, however, I want to purchase the piston compression tools needed to turn the piston back into the caliper. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 11:34 AM   #38
kingm340
Rep
Drives: bmw m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for the support
How are the ceramic brakes? do those have similar brake performance and give off minimal dust?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 12:26 PM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingm340 View Post
How are the ceramic brakes? do those have similar brake performance and give off minimal dust?
minimal dust, they need time to warm up to provide max performance

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:50 PM   #40
RCKYMTN M34OI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Rotor condition wasn't bad, just needed a quick skim cut on the brake lathe. I will note - the rotors are fairly close to the minimum thickness limitations after the skim cut but I'm not worried as the rotors will be replaced on the next brake service. I am hoping the options aftermarket for rotors will be more plentiful by the next brake service, current selection is slim to say the least.
There's at least a few options out there for front rotors at least. Turner sells a full floating set that look really nice. Girodisc as well. They run around $1,100 a set though. There are cheaper options as well.
Appreciate 1