Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Performance Tuning in AU

07-03-2023, 01:19 AM   #1
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Performance Tuning in AU

What tunes are people running on their M340i G20?

Has anyone used Evolve Technik? How do they compare - are they worth it? Seem more expensive than OTS tunes like MHD or BM3.

Curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 05:59 PM   #2
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

I have used both MHD and currently BM3 on my M340i. Both are great, I recently moved to BM3 for the map swapping which MHD doesn't have yet (they will, just a matter of time). I have researched Evolve before and they just don't seem to have the presence and volume of customers to progress like either MHD or BM3 can. No where near as convenient as well.

If you do go with MHD or BM3 set up a new email address for them so that you can transfer the licence with the car. This approach can also be used for XHP etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #3
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
What tunes are people running on their M340i G20?

Has anyone used Evolve Technik? How do they compare - are they worth it? Seem more expensive than OTS tunes like MHD or BM3.

Curious.
IMHO the MHD maps are hard to beat and excellent value for a stock turbo car.

The G-Series B58 OTS maps are written by PureBoost, as such you are obtaining very refined, reliable & safe tunes without the costs of custom tuning.

If you decide to go with MHD please let me know, I can take you through the functionality of the MHD Tuning platform and supply a Super Licence at a nice discount too.

Cheers,

Justin@JDTuning.
https://www.facebook.com/JDTBMWPS
Ph. 0421 641 381

Last edited by JD75; 07-06-2023 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Revision
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #4
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturbo View Post
I have used both MHD and currently BM3 on my M340i. Both are great, I recently moved to BM3 for the map swapping which MHD doesn't have yet (they will, just a matter of time). I have researched Evolve before and they just don't seem to have the presence and volume of customers to progress like either MHD or BM3 can. No where near as convenient as well.

If you do go with MHD or BM3 set up a new email address for them so that you can transfer the licence with the car. This approach can also be used for XHP etc.
How do you find BM3? I've heard they push the limit of the fuel on their maps. Any issues in AU - we have bad fuel and higher ambient temps. I am in Perth so summer is low 40's.

How does the BM3 map drive, compared to MHD? I read that BM3 tend to push the turbo harder and gets a bit more torque earlier whereas MHD focuses more on timing. Similar top end power but different delivery. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 11:35 PM   #5
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I had BM3 on my car for about four years and it was great. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

The torque and power down low particularly were insane!!

It's like a deferent car now without it on there.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:30 PM   #6
Tony Nguyen
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i xDrive

Garage List
I can wholeheartedly say that Justin worked his magic on my G20 M340i and the MHD tunes are absolutely worth the money. I am only new to this forum having owned the car only since May.
Appreciate 1
cyam188.50
      09-19-2023, 02:39 AM   #7
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
IMHO the MHD maps are hard to beat and excellent value for a stock turbo car.

The G-Series B58 OTS maps are written by PureBoost, as such you are obtaining very refined, reliable & safe tunes without the costs of custom tuning.

If you decide to go with MHD please let me know, I can take you through the functionality of the MHD Tuning platform and supply a Super Licence at a nice discount too.

Cheers,

Justin@JDTuning.
https://www.facebook.com/JDTBMWPS
Ph. 0421 641 381
When tuning the car, is it just the tune that is done, or other mods are also required?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:19 AM   #8
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

So I ditched my Evolve technik tune and got MHD.

The Evolve technik tune was downscaling the torque values sent to the TCU and it was causing issues with my gearbox. Not that Evolve were able to tell me that, they actually just couldnt definitively tell me what the tune was doing. They just use a guy in Germany- Jimmy Pelka- who seems to use some simple drag/drop template/ots map system. It was still a good tune, pulled strong and was smooth.

I tested the tune myself using XHP with different torque values and I could see what the tune was doing.

I got frustrated with Evolve not being able to answer specific questions. So I thought I'd put it down to an "experience" and just get MHD. I'd rather be safe and get a safe tune than one that could cause me issues.

Justin at JDTuning helped me, and I bought the MHD s/w from him.

The car runs really good, just as smooth as the Evolve tune, a bit more power on the 95ron map, so on the 98ron map I'd expect even better.

What I found MHD do is they get the DME to just ignore the torque limits. That's not ideal for me as I have XHP, but it does mean the TCU is getting the right values and can adjust pressures etc to suit. So it's safe at least.

No gearbox issues now either.

Last edited by cyam; 09-23-2023 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 07:40 PM   #9
Tony Nguyen
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I ditched my Evolve technik tune and got MHD.

The Evolve technik tune was downscaling the torque values sent to the TCU and it was causing issues with my gearbox. Not that Evolve were able to tell me that, they actually just couldnt definitively tell me what the tune was doing. They just use a guy in Germany- Jimmy Pelka- who seems to use some simple drag/drop template/ots map system. It was still a good tune, pulled strong and was smooth.

I tested the tune myself using XHP with different torque values and I could see what the tune was doing.

I got frustrated with Evolve not being able to answer specific questions. So I thought I'd put it down to an "experience" and just get MHD. I'd rather be safe and get a safe tune than one that could cause me issues.

Justin at JDTuning helped me, and I bought the MHD s/w from him.

The car runs really good, just as smooth as the Evolve tune, a bit more power on the 95ron map, so on the 98ron map I'd expect even better.

What I found MHD do is they get the DME to just ignore the torque limits. That's not ideal for me as I have XHP, but it does mean the TCU is getting the right values and can adjust pressures etc to suit. So it's safe at least.

No gearbox issues now either.
What's your experience been like with the TCU tune? Could you share your experience I'm considering getting this done to stack on my MHD Stage 2 tune once my exhaust has arrived.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 09:35 PM   #10
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
What's your experience been like with the TCU tune? Could you share your experience I'm considering getting this done to stack on my MHD Stage 2 tune once my exhaust has arrived.
If you are using MHD, probably no need for it. MHD ignores the torque limits from the TCU - so the TCU will adjust for the extra torque sent to it.

I got XHP, because I had issues with my other tune.

I am actually glad to have it. I only run the "Stage 1" which is essentially quite stock as far as the maps. But it has adjusted for higher power from a tune.

What I do like is the ability to fine tune the gearbox. I can adjust the shift-points to suit my driving. Plus some of the other features are quite cool. For example displaying the gear in D mode not just in S and M modes.

If you prefer more aggressive and faster shifts you can use Stage 2 or 3, although those stages will be more taxing on the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 06:17 PM   #11
Tony Nguyen
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you are using MHD, probably no need for it. MHD ignores the torque limits from the TCU - so the TCU will adjust for the extra torque sent to it.

I got XHP, because I had issues with my other tune.

I am actually glad to have it. I only run the "Stage 1" which is essentially quite stock as far as the maps. But it has adjusted for higher power from a tune.

What I do like is the ability to fine tune the gearbox. I can adjust the shift-points to suit my driving. Plus some of the other features are quite cool. For example displaying the gear in D mode not just in S and M modes.

If you prefer more aggressive and faster shifts you can use Stage 2 or 3, although those stages will be more taxing on the gearbox.
Yeah fair enough, I've noticed although the stock box is quick maybe the upshifts could be a little quicker IMO. Might be better off putting the money into different mods then.
Appreciate 1
cyam188.50
      10-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #12
pdxdbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
You've got a BMW B series tuner in your own backyard: https://navardituned.com/en-us
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:26 PM   #13
Tony Nguyen
Australia
Rep

Garage List
So now I am running the MHD with my IPE exhaust, catless DP, Dinan CAI with high flow turbo inlet, and XHP stage 3. All I can say it the way this thing drives now is insane..... shifts are lightning quick and aggressive in sports plus. Yet when i drive it in comfort it is just as if not better than it was stock. Much smoother and much more linear power response with a very strong emphasis on mid range spool.

Should probably put it on the dyno some time soon or maybe E85 is calling?
Appreciate 2
cyam188.50
baturbo47.50