Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion STOLEN Kies F80

01-24-2024, 10:16 AM   #23
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Bryan took it to a bank, which is an institution that trades money as a business. I cannot believe that it's not the bank's responsibility to make sure the check is valid before accepting it. Bryan is an easy going guy, but if it were me I'd contact my attorney on that account immediately.
Well, in strictly legal terms, it is NOT the bank’s responsibility to make sure the check is genuine before accepting it. They are just the middleman. It is your responsibility to know your seller. If you just think about it, there is absolutely no way a bank could check the genuineness of every check they take for deposit or cash from their customers. I do agree though that at the very least given this particular situation, with a $75,000 cashier’s check, they should have verified the genuineness of the routing number.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-24-2024 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 3
AudiDad61.50
///MPhatic13862.50
nerdogray1301.50
      01-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #24
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
It's obvious there are some facts related to the check that we don't have. To suggest the Bank that accepted the check is at fault is short sighted - premature at best. Let's focus on finding the car because no one here is in a position to solve the check issue.
      01-24-2024, 10:21 AM   #25
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
It's obvious there are some facts related to the check that we don't have. To suggest the Bank that accepted the check is at fault is short sighted - premature at best. Let's focus on finding the car because no one here is in a position to solve the check issue.
which is why this screams, content vs scam to me. sick world in social media. even if "content" it is educational in the sense that I brushed up on cashier check regulations
Appreciate 2
Hit_Apex2370.50
NickyC17484.50
      01-24-2024, 10:26 AM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, one other endorsement option the bank has. With this one they take on quite a bit of responsibility. Let’s say you take your spouse’s paycheck to the bank to deposit to your joint checking account, but you forget to get him or her to endorse it first. If you are just depositing it into your joint account and not getting any cash back and the bank knows you and trusts you they have an endorsement stamp they can put on the check in the absence of the payee’s signature. “Deposited to the Account of the Within Named Payee. Absence of Endorsement Guaranteed” By doing that the bank guarantees the validity of how the check was negotiated to the bank it is drawn on. This endorsement by the bank gets used most often for businesses that forget to stamp their own endorsement on checks they present for deposit to their checking account.

01-24-2024, 10:27 AM   #27
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Subscribed!

Scumbag activity!

Is the consensus that a wire or cash is the best option? With all the scammers nowadays should one meet the buyer at the bank and deposit the cash right away to determine the validity of the cash before handing over the title? One can seem very genuine in the midst of the transaction but knowingly try to rob you blind.

Last edited by SpacegrayMe90; 01-24-2024 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:40 AM   #28
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
Subscribed!

Scumbag activity!

Is the consensus that a wire or cash is the best option? With all the scammers nowadays should one meet the buyer at the bank and deposit the cash write away to determine the validity of the cash before handing over the title? One can seem very genuine in the midst of the transaction but knowingly try to rob you blind.
I've accepted cash or cashiers check, but always met at the buyer's bank and stood there as the teller drew up the cashier's check. Buying a car recently, I had the seller meet me at my bank, but he wanted cash, not a cashiers check. Took a little while, but they accommodated it.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 10:52 AM   #29
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I've accepted cash or cashiers check, but always met at the buyer's bank and stood there as the teller drew up the cashier's check. Buying a car recently, I had the seller meet me at my bank, but he wanted cash, not a cashiers check. Took a little while, but they accommodated it.
"I've accepted cash or cashiers check, but always met at the buyer's bank and stood there as the teller drew up the cashier's check. "

Is this Full Proof?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:54 AM   #30
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
"I've accepted cash or cashiers check, but always met at the buyer's bank and stood there as the teller drew up the cashier's check. "

Is this Full Proof?
lol unless the bank is fake and everyone is in on it, then yes seems full proof
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 11:06 AM   #31
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
lol unless the bank is fake and everyone is in on it, then yes seems full proof
LOL. I've only sold one car in my life, and that was a while back before scamming took shape. Everything else were trades at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:12 AM   #32
MadBullogna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

Using a reputable escrow service would be the next best thing, IMO, if unable to be physically present in the branch as the buyer has their bank issue the certified check.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #33
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Is this Fool Proof?
Yes, meeting at the bank and watching the teller draw up the check is fool proof.

01-24-2024, 11:27 AM   #34
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Until payment is guaranteed keep hold of the car.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      01-24-2024, 11:36 AM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, meeting at the bank and watching the teller draw up the check is fool proof.
not unless I create a fake bank (think ocean's eleven) have people in their impersonating your bank. Hack your phone to make you think the address is legit... then it is fool proof.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:42 AM   #36
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
thanks for the info.

Seems this is a common scam from my searching. so begs the question still

No tracking on the car?

KIES surely does a lot of business to know of this scam.

Idk something smells fishy. Whole story isn't here or made for exposure. Or a GROSS oversight by KIES and bank.
Quote:
literally zero point of a cashier's check then no? it provides just about the same protection as a personnel check.

world is decaying with bullshit terms. and people think virtual currency will be the standard.
You keep talking about tracking devices.

You do know it's a felony to have a tracking device in someone's car, yes? Why on earth would an upstanding person have a tracking device on someone's car?
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 11:49 AM   #37
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

In the past, I have accepted cashier's checks and had no problems. However, for the past few vehicle sales I have insisted on wire transfer because of horror stories like these. Yes, the buyer thinks I am being a PITA and yes it does delay the sale by a few hours but it is the best way. If the buyer is getting a loan for the vehicle, they can get the check made out to them, deposit it their bank and then wire transfer the funds to your bank. Only takes a few hours and since most of us have instant online access to your bank accounts nowadays, you know right away when the money is deposited.

These scammers are very brazen. I once had a guy mail me a fraudulent check for a motorcycle thereby committing mail fraud. I realized he was trying to scam me so I never finished the deal. I even had his phone number and I reported him to the FBI but I never heard from them - they likely won't do anything unless someone is actually harmed. The scammer probably went on to scam someone else - it is what they do.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #38
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
You keep talking about tracking devices.

You do know it's a felony to have a tracking device in someone's car, yes? Why on earth would an upstanding person have a tracking device on someone's car?
I meant like lojack, which is guess would be de coupled from the car at sale. Might be prudent to keep it in for a few days.

Or you “forgot” an AirTag.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 12:07 PM   #39
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
I meant like lojack, which is guess would be de coupled from the car at sale. Might be prudent to keep it in for a few days.

Or you “forgot” an AirTag.
Well, I get that's something you'd do. But understand that people in general don't commit felonies, so that's the reason why they don't have a tracker on the car, to answer your original question.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:10 PM   #40
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I get that's something you'd do. But understand that people in general don't commit felonies, so that's the reason why they don't have a tracker on the car, to answer your original question.
And understand the laws in Canada are not the same as the laws in the United States and the laws in the United States vary from state to state, so your declaration this would be a felony is without basis. There are lots of things that are illegal these days in Canada that aren’t illegal in the United States. So far we haven’t started putting people in jail for exercising their right to free speech or religious expression.

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-24-2024 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:17 PM   #41
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
And understand that the laws in Canada are not the same as the laws in the United States and the laws in the United States vary from state to state, so your declaration this would be a felony is without basis. There are lots of things that are illegal these days in Canada that aren’t illegal in the United States. So far we haven’t started putting people in jail for exercising their right to free speech or religious expression.
1- Felony is an american concept. No such thing in Canada.
2- I believe installing a tracking device in someone's car is a FEDERAL crime in the US, I could be wrong, I doubt there's a single state or county who will allow it.
3- RE: "things that are illegal in Canada and not in the US": Non-sequitur, irrelevant to the discussion. We're only talking about Kies and his F80, your opinion on other countries laws is irrelevant and inopportune.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:22 PM   #42
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1- Felony is an american concept. No such thing in Canada.
2- I believe installing a tracking device in someone's car is a FEDERAL crime in the US, I could be wrong, I doubt there's a single state or county who will allow it.
3- RE: "things that are illegal in Canada and not in the US": Non-sequitur, irrelevant to the discussion. We're only talking about Kies and his F80, your opinion on other countries [sic] laws is irrelevant and inopportune.
As is yours. You said it.

01-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #43
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I do agree though that at the very least given this particular situation, with a $75,000 cashier’s check, they should have verified the genuineness of the routing number.
I actually thought that was standard, but yeah, I can see it can vary depending on the bank, teller, how busy they are, if they are itching to go to lunch, etc.

I sold a car once long ago, the buyer brought a cashiers check and we went to the bank together with it. We sat off to the side for 5-10 minutes while someone actually called up the other persons bank to make sure the check was real / funds were available. I guess I don't know the details but they did do some work on it. Good reminder to be sure this happens if I ever repeat a sale that way.

Quote:
So, since you were in the industry and know things, can the buyer empty the account and / or close it before you get a chance to go deposit that check?

For $75k I might actually create an account at the buyers bank for myself, and have it go direct while we are both in the bank itself. I suppose there's a reason not to do that but for so much money I think I'd be a little extra careful as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:52 PM   #44
Tobster3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
So, since you were in the industry and know things, can the buyer empty the account and / or close it before you get a chance to go deposit that check?
I’m not in the industry or know very much about it. However, when I have gone to the bank to get Cashiers checks from the bank for vehicles I am purchasing, the money has come out of my account at that time when the check is issued. So In my experience, I’d say this is not possible.
Appreciate 1