Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Bimmerpost Photo Contest #18 : VOTING THREAD

View Poll Results: VOTE!!!!!
oneintheory : "deceptively cold" 15 23.44%
dcstep : "Clouds, water, snow and ice, take your pick" 10 15.63%
TheUltimateDrivingManiac : "The Firtree" 1 1.56%
signes : "Paley Park" 23 35.94%
danniexi : "crazy ice" 2 3.13%
vachss : "Greenland... Brrrr" 6 9.38%
rodi : "snow" 29 45.31%
TL : "Winter Wonderland" 16 25.00%
M Six : "Cool Kitty" 5 7.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

12-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #23
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Both good points.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #24
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Too bad there's not a way to indicate our favorite, our second favorite, etc., like with the Heisman. Then the voting would be weighted toward the most first place votes, but others would also receive votes.

I'm always torn between voting for only my favorite or spreading three or so votes to the top images. I understand both points of view.

Dave
      01-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

1 vote for TL
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #26
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
It's also amazing how many people come in here and only vote for 1 photo when clearly there are more than just 1 "good" photo posted (not to take anything away from Rodi who is in the lead... it's just funny how many solo votes people receive). I think people who vote are too scared to vote for someone else who might win. The format is designed to be like this:

3 photos: A, B, C

we have someone vote for A and C but not B
we have someone vote for B and C but not A
we have someone vote for A B and C

Even though A and B are very good, C is the most commonly voted for thus it should win. It's kinda like Heisman voting, sometimes (though I believe its been a long time) the guy with the overwhelming # of 2nd place votes can win if the 1st place votes are spread out between a few other nominees.

I dunno, I always think there are at least 2-3 photos in every contest that could potentially be winners but I don't see how people can just look at all of them and ONLY like 1
This is the first voting thread where I have to disagree with this (I usually vote for multiple pics; whatever looks like it has a chance of winning).

In this case, I think Paley Park is the clear winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post

I totally agree with this, but... the answer is different. The "public" has spoken.

Dave
      01-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
This is the first voting thread where I have to disagree with this (I usually vote for multiple pics; whatever looks like it has a chance of winning).

explain why you thought so... I'm intrigued
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #29
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Can someone school me on my pic? I would welcome someone to critique my photo, please. thanks

these were my settings:
1/200 s
f/3.5
iso 100
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
Can someone school me on my pic? I would welcome someone to critique my photo, please. thanks

these were my settings:
1/200 s
f/3.5
iso 100
TL, you should probably start a separate thread, asking for advice in the Subject line. You'll get more responses that way.

The image is "nice", but lacks power because your perspective is "ordinary". It's like you saw the scene from the car, rolled down the window and snapped. All that snow in the foreground subtracts power from the image. If you have a wide angle lens you could have walked up close to the trees, not taking in the whole scene, but concentrating on a tree with the light showing through.

Another approach would have been to use a telephoto to concentrate on the snow/ice covered tree limbs catching the light, just for example.

Your technicals are ok, but there's high dynamic range here. You could have taken three images of the same thing with -2, +2 and 0EV, then combine them into an HDR, or used a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky while bringing up the exposure of the snow in the foreground. A GND filter is a standard accessory for landscape photography. The correct exposure for the sky is two f-stops lower than the snow in the shadows.

Those are just a few ideas. In its own thread, you'll get many more ideas.

Dave
      01-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #31
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
You didn't ask me, but I think that signes image is amazing for its ambiguity. At first glance it looks abstract, but on close examination it's actually realistic. The composition is strong and nicely balanced. Once you know that the background is water, you think, "Oh, ok" but initially you're trying to see what's happening.

I'd be tempted to work with it by lightening the trees and highlighting those colored leaves in the upper right, but that might take away from its power as are realistic-abstract. Maybe B&W would be the most powerful, but it might be as is.

Dave
      01-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #32
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You didn't ask me, but I think that signes image is amazing for its ambiguity. At first glance it looks abstract, but on close examination it's actually realistic. The composition is strong and nicely balanced. Once you know that the background is water, you think, "Oh, ok" but initially you're trying to see what's happening.

I'd be tempted to work with it by lightening the trees and highlighting those colored leaves in the upper right, but that might take away from its power as are realistic-abstract. Maybe B&W would be the most powerful, but it might be as is.

Dave
no thats cool, thanks for the write up. I couldn't tell it was water at 1st either.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

The poll shows a very different result than what I was expecting. I thought oneintheory was gonna run away with this one. Rodi's picture, while GREAT, doesn't really match the theme. It merely has snow as the background. The main subject is the person (which is not a phase of water), not the snow. Signes' picture is great as well but again it doesn't really focus on the phases of water (though it had it in there). The last picture with the cat is the same as it focus on the cat. However, since it was such a limited theme, I suppose every picture counts. Besides Vudoo was fine with them.

PS- please don't feel like I'm attacking anyone. I simply feel (as a fellow photographer) that these kind of contests should be more about the artistic values (while fitting in with the theme) instead of the coolness of the photos. If it was a winter portrait RODI would run away with it and if it was an abstract theme SIGNES would have done the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #34
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
The poll shows a very different result than what I was expecting. I thought oneintheory was gonna run away with this one. Rodi's picture, while GREAT, doesn't really match the theme. It merely has snow as the background. The main subject is the person (which is not a phase of water), not the snow. Signes' picture is great as well but again it doesn't really focus on the phases of water (though it had it in there). The last picture with the cat is the same as it focus on the cat. However, since it was such a limited theme, I suppose every picture counts. Besides Vudoo was fine with them.

PS- please don't feel like I'm attacking anyone. I simply feel (as a fellow photographer) that these kind of contests should be more about the artistic values (while fitting in with the theme) instead of the coolness of the photos. If it was a winter portrait RODI would run away with it and if it was an abstract theme SIGNES would have done the same.
Signes' entry has just as many water phases as oneintheory's. If this were a contest where the image with the most phases won, then I'd be the hands down winner, since I had the most phases (cloud, water, ice, snow).

Fortunately, as you say, artistic merit also counts. The contest theme is only that, a theme. I think that we still need to consider artistic merit.

Dave
      01-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #35
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Signes' entry has just as many water phases as oneintheory's. If this were a contest where the image with the most phases won, then I'd be the hands down winner, since I had the most phases (cloud, water, ice, snow).

Fortunately, as you say, artistic merit also counts. The contest theme is only that, a theme. I think that we still need to consider artistic merit.

Dave
Right- I did mention that there's water phases in Signes' picture. However, IMO, oneintheory's picture fits the theme the best. If you look at his picture, knowing what the theme is, you would know right away what it was about. I look at it and I feel cold. A good picture should do that. Signes' pix, however, doesn't give away what it is about. I know some people like the abstract stuff but the theme isn't abstract.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #36
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Right- I did mention that there's water phases in Signes' picture. However, IMO, oneintheory's picture fits the theme the best. If you look at his picture, knowing what the theme is, you would know right away what it was about. I look at it and I feel cold. A good picture should do that. Signes' pix, however, doesn't give away what it is about. I know some people like the abstract stuff but the theme isn't abstract.
I think this is why we vote. I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me, but a vote settled to neither of our liking.

I like Rodi's image, but didn't vote for it because I thought of it as a great portrait of some dude when huge snow flakes happened to be falling.

Dave
      01-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I like Rodi's image, but didn't vote for it because I thought of it as a great portrait of some dude when huge snow flakes happened to be falling.

Dave
Exactly- at least we agree on something.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #38
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

i have an idea for a very specific theme for the next one, so there shouldn't be any "does this fit the theme" questions. ;]

and i agree, as i said in my posting of the photo, that my entry merely held the theme in a non-specific sense.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:13 AM   #39
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I prefer its range of colors, the way it brings my eye across the picture, the way I found it intriguing even when I didn't know what I was actually looking at, and it's a pretty cool way to fit in with the theme by having accents of snow in the foreground with cascading water in the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #40
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i have an idea for a very specific theme for the next one, so there shouldn't be any "does this fit the theme" questions. ;]
That'll be refreshing. I'm looking forward to your contest.

Dave
      01-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #41
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
TL, you should probably start a separate thread, asking for advice in the Subject line. You'll get more responses that way.

The image is "nice", but lacks power because your perspective is "ordinary". It's like you saw the scene from the car, rolled down the window and snapped. All that snow in the foreground subtracts power from the image. If you have a wide angle lens you could have walked up close to the trees, not taking in the whole scene, but concentrating on a tree with the light showing through.

Another approach would have been to use a telephoto to concentrate on the snow/ice covered tree limbs catching the light, just for example.

Your technicals are ok, but there's high dynamic range here. You could have taken three images of the same thing with -2, +2 and 0EV, then combine them into an HDR, or used a graduated neutral density filter to darken the sky while bringing up the exposure of the snow in the foreground. A GND filter is a standard accessory for landscape photography. The correct exposure for the sky is two f-stops lower than the snow in the shadows.

Those are just a few ideas. In its own thread, you'll get many more ideas.

Dave
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to respond
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #42
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
imo...all the submissions met the criteria

I left it rather ambiguous
      01-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #43
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

filming a music video all week, i'll try to post the new contest tonight if i don't pass out first. or freeze.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #44
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm curious as to what the next theme is now...hurry!! lol
Appreciate 0