Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Speaker Distortion

05-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Speaker Distortion

Not sure if this is the right section... I noticed yesterday when in Sport mode my front center speaker has what sounds like static coming through instead of the "exhaust sound" when you press the gas. Also noticed it this morning in comfort mode when I floored it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 1
Desrste29.50
      05-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donia330i View Post
Not sure if this is the right section... I noticed yesterday when in Sport mode my front center speaker has what sounds like static coming through instead of the "exhaust sound" when you press the gas. Also noticed it this morning in comfort mode when I floored it. Has anyone else experienced this?
I haven't noticed static but I am slightly disappointed in the HK sound system. I had the HK in my 2016 435i and it sounded much better than the one in the G20 - very noticeable to me. The 435i had much tighter bass and better overall sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
I just started experiencing this today, just started happening randomly when I was driving in comfort.

When I step on the gas, it sounds like a distorted static sound coming through all of the speakers...as if the engine noise being piped into the cabin is malfunctioning..

Noticed this post was from a few months back. Did you ever figure out the issue?
      07-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post
I just started experiencing this today, just started happening randomly when I was driving in comfort.

When I step on the gas, it sounds like a distorted static sound coming through all of the speakers...as if the engine noise being piped into the cabin is malfunctioning..

Noticed this post was from a few months back. Did you ever figure out the issue?
No, it just comes and goes. Waiting for a few more issues before taking it in. It depends on the Bluetooth connection it seems. It gets really bad in sport mode but of course not all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post

No, it just comes and goes. Waiting for a few more issues before taking it in. It depends the Bluetooth connection it seems. It gets really bad in sport mode but of course not all the time.
Just fired up my car this morning and the static is gone. Drove comfort and sport and nothing. Will keep you updated.

Hate these intermittent issues....

Last edited by Glassy; 07-17-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
ssadri68.50
      07-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Yes

M340i w/ H/K, iDrive 7 v03-19. Happened to me this weekend.

First "day road trip" in the car; a couple-hundred mile drive. On the way home, about 20 miles out, just cruise-control 65mph in Comfort, listening to satellite radio. The sound just changed. Didn't hit a bump or do anything. Sounded like the bitrate fell to like 1kbps with lots of digital garbage and buzzing. Almost like alternator buzz or interference. I assumed XM just flipped out, so I immediately lowered the volume. But then noticed I could still hear a buzzing/chirping noise coming from the speakers. It changed pitch and intensity with the accelerator, and got about twice as loud in Sport. Flipped to iTunes playlist, same garbage music quality.

Restarted iDrive while driving. No effect - buzzing persisted while iDrive was black-screened. Changed audio sources, they all did it. The system had NO bass at all. Just buzzy, digital-garbage treble.

Pulled into a gas station & shut it down. Fake sound stopped when the car was shut off, but the stereo still sounded like garbage. Opened the door, which shut it all off, then got out and locked the door while I ran in and grabbed a bottle of water. Started back up and it was still making the noise. Drove the 20 miles home with the stereo off just listening to the digital mosquitos buzzing around the cabin every time I accelerated. Joy.

The next morning, it's perfectly fine. No fake-engine buzzing, stereo sounds great. It hasn't done it again....
Appreciate 2
ssadri68.50
mzdial114.50
      07-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Have the same issue. Anyone resolve?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta5 View Post
M340i w/ H/K, iDrive 7 v03-19. Happened to me this weekend.

First "day road trip" in the car; a couple-hundred mile drive. On the way home, about 20 miles out, just cruise-control 65mph in Comfort, listening to satellite radio. The sound just changed. Didn't hit a bump or do anything. Sounded like the bitrate fell to like 1kbps with lots of digital garbage and buzzing. Almost like alternator buzz or interference. I assumed XM just flipped out, so I immediately lowered the volume. But then noticed I could still hear a buzzing/chirping noise coming from the speakers. It changed pitch and intensity with the accelerator, and got about twice as loud in Sport. Flipped to iTunes playlist, same garbage music quality.

Restarted iDrive while driving. No effect - buzzing persisted while iDrive was black-screened. Changed audio sources, they all did it. The system had NO bass at all. Just buzzy, digital-garbage treble.

Pulled into a gas station & shut it down. Fake sound stopped when the car was shut off, but the stereo still sounded like garbage. Opened the door, which shut it all off, then got out and locked the door while I ran in and grabbed a bottle of water. Started back up and it was still making the noise. Drove the 20 miles home with the stereo off just listening to the digital mosquitos buzzing around the cabin every time I accelerated. Joy.

The next morning, it's perfectly fine. No fake-engine buzzing, stereo sounds great. It hasn't done it again....

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

This sounds like exactly what I experienced...except you did a far better job at explaining it than I did hah.

Keep us updated. I'll do the same.

Thanks,
      12-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #9
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Yep.. Just like Delta5 said.. I've had it happen twice to me in my 330i -- the second time this evening.

I rolled video on it so I had evidence of the problem, because for something intermittent, how am I going to get the dealer to acknowledge it?

I also have dropouts of CarPlay for 1/2 to 1 seconds fairly regularly -- but I am sure this isn't related.

The sound sounded like a ground wire came loose. You could hear it go up and down through revs of the engine as well.

I grow more and more frustrated with this car.

Last edited by mzdial; 12-23-2019 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
cnichols138
X3M Comp is a beast
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp

My M340I just started this tonight. So annoying. I really hope this is not signs this car is going to have problems. So far this is my first problem. And is not good.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
sathyam340
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Seems like the discussion stopped long back on this issue. Hope someone found a fix or reason for this.

I recently got a m340 (one month old) and has the HK system. Noticed the speaker distortion when I accelerate hard. Especially in sport mode. Sound is more like a crackling noise.

A few weeks ago I noticed the system randomly lost bass and audio was flat. After I stopped the car, locked and waited for a powercycle. Audio was fine after I started the car. Did not repeat since then.

Not sure if anyone got a resolution for this. Wanted to check here before I can take the car in for service advise.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #12
sathyam340
Rep

Seeking help if anyone is facing this issue now. Also new update for my previous message.

Today I noticed that the bass intermittently shuts off and audio is briefly flat. Did hear a few distorted noises while this was happening. Switched off Logic7 surround with medium bass setting and equaliser is set to default.

This happens when I am not accelerating and just cruising in comfort drive mode. Guessing faulty amp. Just driven 1000 miles and it's already upsetting to see issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyam340 View Post
Seeking help if anyone is facing this issue now. Also new update for my previous message.

Today I noticed that the bass intermittently shuts off and audio is briefly flat. Did hear a few distorted noises while this was happening. Switched off Logic7 surround with medium bass setting and equaliser is set to default.

This happens when I am not accelerating and just cruising in comfort drive mode. Guessing faulty amp. Just driven 1000 miles and it's already upsetting to see issues.
I have the same issue with the audio going flat randomly. I have not been able to correlate it with anything yet. Seems very random, but the sound will eventually return to normal after a few seconds. I thought maybe it was a carplay issue at first.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

Curious if anyone has any updates to this. I love everything about this car except for this one complaint. I fixed the center channel speaker cover rattle soon after getting the car (pretty disappointing for a 60k+ car). That was the most annoying issue. However I still every once in awhile get a loud pop sound through the speakers that sounds like distortion or something. I also noticed a time or two the bass disappear and then reappear. I am thinking its an amplifier issue but would love to know if anyone has resolved the issue and has an answer. I was thinking of upgrading the subs and amp to bavsound units anyways but don't want to waste the money if the issue is in the main headunit and will need to scrap the entire sound system or live with it. It doesn't happen often enough to be too pissed at this point unless it starts increasing in frequency. I will not waste time taking it to the dealer only to leave it for days and get it back with the same issue because they could not duplicate it!
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #15
ixxo
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep

some of the symptoms discussed also here https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760766
and here: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1724795

I will soon visit friend of mine at dealership who suggested to change the amp. But first he needs to have it checked by technicians to see the error codes etc.

https://ibb.co/q57BY08
https://ibb.co/q9XDHKZ
Appreciate 0