Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics No Internet with WiFi HotSpot

05-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #1
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
No Internet with WiFi HotSpot

Hi,

I have a very confusing problem, but first let me provide some particulars. My car is a 2020 M340, running software version 07/2021.40, and has a WiFi HotSpot through AT&T; I have a Samsung S21+, running Android 12.0 (including Android Auto 7.6.621734).

About a month ago, I noticed whenever I tried to use the internet (whether asking Lady Google a question or having Google Maps to navigate), I would get an audio error message saying that there was a problem with the connection. I checked and my phone was connected to the car via Bluetooth as well as the car's WiFi. I finally went into the phones SETTINGS, CONNECTIONS, DATA USAGE, MOBILE DATA and turned it on; doing so made everything work fine again.

Now I know something is amiss because my phone works fine in my home, using our house's WiFi with the MOBILE DATA turned off.

I tried turn off the car's WiFi and turning back on, cycling the car's iDrive and rebooting the phone -- no joy. I finally called the WiFi provider (AT&T) and they checked the car's WiFi number and things worked fine; and AT&T even verified that there had been no usage of data for a while, even though whenever I get in my car, the phone connects to the car's WiFi.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something not working in Android Auto or the Android Operating system -- BUT don't know how to check that

Welcome any thoughts or recommendations

HELP
Thanks in advance

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0